(AK) three teens rob man, man chose not to draw down

This is a discussion on (AK) three teens rob man, man chose not to draw down within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Three teens arrested in Mountain View robbery linked to another TRAUMATIZED: Man robbed at gunpoint on neighborhood street identifies suspects. By MEGAN HOLLAND Anchorage Daily ...

Thread: (AK) three teens rob man, man chose not to draw down

(AK) three teens rob man, man chose not to draw down

Three teens arrested in Mountain View robbery linked to another
    TRAUMATIZED: Man robbed at gunpoint on neighborhood street identifies suspects.
    By MEGAN HOLLAND
    Anchorage Daily News
    Published: December 20, 2005
    Last Modified: December 20, 2005 at 02:29 AM

A man walking in Mountain View on Monday morning was robbed at gunpoint by a group of teenagers who police say were gang members responsible for another robbery a week ago at a nearby department store.

The robbery victim was carrying his own concealed weapon but chose not to fight off his attackers and handed over his wallet and cell phone, Lt. Paul Honeman said.

Police say the teenagers were also responsible for a robbery at the Gottschalks store at the Northway Mall on Dec. 11.

The three teenagers -- two boys and a girl -- were arrested Monday and charged with first-degree robbery, third-degree assault, third-degree theft and third-degree misconduct involving weapons. Because of their ages, their names were not released.

As of Monday night, charges related to the Gottschalks robbery had not yet been filed, Honeman said.

One or two other people may have been involved in the robberies, police said.

According to police, the teenagers walked up to the victim, who was not identified, near Peterkin Avenue and Schodde Street around 8:30 a.m. One teenager asked him for a cigarette, then, seconds later, another pulled out a gun and demanded his belongings, Sgt. Pablo Paiz said.

The teenagers fled on foot, police said.

Cha Lee, who lives nearby on Peterkin Avenue, heard the victim approach his home, yelling, "Help me! Help me!" When he opened his door, the man was shaking and "looked very scared," Lee said. Honeman said the victim was traumatized.

Hours later, police tracked down the teenagers several blocks away at a condo at 425 Price St. after one made a call on the stolen phone. In the home, police found the victim's wallet and the handgun, Honeman said. Police also discovered photos of the teenagers displaying gang colors and flashing identifiable gang signs, Paiz said.

The man positively identified his attackers, police said.

Monday afternoon, outside the condo unit, a snow-covered baby stroller sat inside the chain-link-fenced yard, near an upside down laundry basket. Nobody answered the door.

Next door, a teenager said she knew her neighbors but would not speak.

"I don't want to get killed," she said.

Two doors down, another young woman would say only: "They need more things for us to do. Get some programs or something." She, too, was scared to say anything about her neighbors.

On Dec. 2, 20-year-old Fiatau Saena was shot and killed when he ran to the aid of his mother during an armed robbery outside her home on Tarwater Avenue, a few blocks away from the robbery Monday. George M. Romero Jr., 18, has been charged with Saena's slaying.

From the balcony where the teenagers were arrested Monday is a clear view of the alcove in the apartment building next door where 24-year-old Christopher Sanchez was shot four times on Dec. 4, He survived. Police do not believe that incident was gang-related.

Police have made combating the nascent gang problem in Anchorage one of their top priorities since several gang-related murders earlier this year.

-----------------------------

not really a 'success story' per se, but the guy did survive.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Suscess story al right. He

1 did not get shot, (sounds like they got the drop on him)
    2 did not have to shoot someone
    3 ID'ed the BG's

I know I would be watching my back , for related gang retaliation from this group though.

Assistant Administrator
    Main thing here seems - I stress seems - very lacking con' yellow. Unless they literally jumped him from a doorway or similar.

Cannot judge from my chair here, but if they had the drop then not too much he could do probably.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yes it's hard to tell, he could have been focusing on the cig guy. Seeing a couple perhaps "making out" would not get my attention as much as somebody asking for a smoke. distance.

I agree that it was smart not to draw. Likely all that would have done is to get him shot, plus provide the BGs with another weapon.

I think I might start paying more attention to a "couple" engaged in various activities.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

1943 - 2009
    In this case, I think the victim was right by not trying to draw his gun. At least he didn't surrender it to these punks.

I lived in Anchorage from 1969 to 1981. The only gang we had to deal with was the Brothers, a bunch of wannabe Hell's Angels bikers. Man, how times have changed.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Los Anchorage has had an armed robbery every day for the month of December. 17 murders in the city limits at least a few gang related where they dumped the bodies or did the killing outside of town. In the last 12 months I wish the cops would get more agressive, BUT I doubt much will happen with the Big Liberal Mayor that currently is at the helm in Anchorage.
    I am glad he came out OK. Too bad he didn't send them to hell.
    The part that gets me:"They need more things for us to do. Get some programs or something." PROGRAMS!!! "THEY" have programs, it's called school &/or a job.
    Anchorage has it's wanna be bangers and The MAt-Su Valley has it's devil worshipers and crystal meth users:-( This is a sad fact of life up here. A couple years ago a Big LAke PAstor did his armed citizen duty, succesfully defending himself from two multiple felons. He used a .44 and hit them both multiple times, they didn't make it.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Well, any story is a success story when the Good Guy survives an armed robbery & without injury. It's even better when the Bad Guys get IDed & taken off the street.

yeah but the problem is they will be back on the street in 6 months for good behavior or something

moral of the story -quit smoking!
    ---Maybe even start shooting

Interesting story, brings up two good points. If you smoke, don't give anyone a cigarette or a light, they'll take advantage of your being occupied for that split second. Very common way for BG's to catch you off gaurd.

Second thing is something I think about all the time. If I was in that situation, I probably would have drawn my weapon (if possible) and shot the man with the gun, and I know a huge percentage of the people on this forum would have done the same. This guy didn't and he didn't get shot either. Makes you realize that you could potentially get yourself in a huge mess for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking any chances, and I'd just go through life convincing myself that it was me or him, and I saved my life by shooting this person, but it kinda makes you think.....

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Well why even carry. Just carry a sign I will give up.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Well why even carry. Just carry a sign I will give up.
    Just to make it clear, I would have shot!!! If that's not justified shoot, I don't know what is!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_marine
    yeah but the problem is they will be back on the street in 6 months for good behavior or something
    yeah well maybe next time they will find themselves "body bagged and toe tagged"
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Around here it's happening about everyday and night. Wife and I talked it over about what we would do if or when it happened to us.

She said I don't want to get robbed and maybe shot like many others have had it happen lately.

I said well if something really go's down get ready to cover you'r ears it's going to get real noisy.

Links