Another Mall Shooting - Page 2

Another Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on Another Mall Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been in that mall on numerous occassions while visiting relatives in Knoxville. I sure hope they get sued and for a huge sum. They ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Moderator
    I've been in that mall on numerous occassions while visiting relatives in Knoxville.

I sure hope they get sued and for a huge sum. They prohibit us from protecting ourselves while in the mall, and don't provide adequate security while we're there. It just seems like a matter of time. And I bet the bad guys carry in the mall.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    What was the motive behind this shooting? Bad customer service or the suspect had a really bad day, and decided to skip the bar and take his anger out on a mall employee?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Looks like it was not a spur of the moment thing.
    The same thing jumped out at me when I read the story this morning. Also of note, the witness who said they heard 1 shot then like 15 more. Goes to show you that details can get lost on bystanders but the media will latch on to it and spread it like gospel.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Simon Property's are idiots. One of their malls here in the Richmond area has the sign posted at a level of about 8 feet on a side wall. Nothing posted on the doors, nothing posted in a place you would normally expect to see a sign of any type. Who looks for a sign at that level??!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Only 1 dead sounds like a domestic violence shooting,probably G/F or Wife leaving a guy and he decided he was gonna kill them for it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's reported he DID NOT have a permit!!

Police: Mall shooting suspect upset over purchase
    Oct 9, 2008 (8:17p CDT)
    By DUNCAN MANSFIELD (Associated Press Writer)

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The fatal shooting of a store employee and gun battle with police in a Knoxville shopping mall began as a complaint over a clothing purchase, authorities said Thursday.

William Johnson - who faces charges of murder, aggravated kidnapping and attempted murder in the Wednesday shootings - acted alone and targeted the store, police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said.

"This shooting did not occur just because the store was at the mall," he said. "It occurred because the suspect was upset over a previous clothing purchase."

Johnson, 42, came to the shopping center around 4:20 p.m. Wednesday determined to get satisfaction from Reno Mens Wear for clothing he had bought there. Neighboring merchants said the store had a no-return policy and Johnson's complaint was about a suit, but DeBusk wouldn't discuss those details. A man listed in city records as the owner-operator of the store, Yasser Salem, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Minutes after Johnson entered the store, 29-year-old employee Ahmed Nahl was dead and Johnson was being taken to a hospital for wounds in the leg and arm after a shootout with two police officers.

The investigation was continuing Thursday and Johnson, hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, had yet to be interviewed. But authorities were closing in on what happened.

Johnson - described by neighbor Johnnie Brown as "built like a football player," unemployed and on disability because of a kidney condition - entered the clothing store looking for service. He carried a 9 mm handgun without a permit.

Nahl, a native of Egypt who came to this country on a lottery visa, followed Johnson into the store, where he'd worked for less than a year, witnesses said. He'd been playing with his infant daughter out in the mall, talking with other shopkeepers about plans for the baby's first birthday in two weeks.

There was a "confrontation" between the suspect and Nahl inside the store, DeBusk said. The customer pulled out the handgun and shot Nahl, then ordered another customer to the ground. "A few moments later, the suspect shot the victim a few more times," DeBusk said. He refused to say what the men might have said to each other.

Merchants heard the shots and called 911. Shoppers and shopkeepers screamed and ran for cover.

Knox County Commissioner Greg "Lumpy" Lambert, who has a permit to carry a handgun, said he was visiting a dentist's office in the mall when he heard the shots. He ran over because he knew the security guards were unarmed, he said.

Lambert, who once foiled a robbery attempt at his car dealership, said he talked to the suspect at the store before police arrived, but he would not reveal what they said. The commissioner said he never drew his gun and stayed outside the store to wait for police.

"I felt that the wisest thing to do was back out and be sure the situation was contained," he said. "I was prepared to defend myself or others if he came out shooting, but that wasn't the case."

Two uniformed police officers and mall security arrived. The officers shouted to the suspect to drop his gun. Instead the man shot at them. The officers returned fire. It was over in less than 4 minutes, DeBusk said.

DeBusk wouldn't say how many shots were fired. But Mike Shearer, who works in a nearby mattress store, said he heard six shots inside the clothing store before officers arrived and a few shots later directed at the officers. He said the officers fired until they ran out of bullets, maybe 16 times.

The officers "acted appropriately to stop the threat that faced them," DeBusk said.

Johnson's criminal record lists only a simple assault charge from several years ago, DeBusk said. Because Johnson was still being treated in the hospital, he has not spoken with police or appeared in court. It was not immediately known if he has retained an attorney.

___

Associated Press Writers Beth Rucker in Knoxville and Kristin M. Hall in Nashville contributed to this report.

Looks like someone is lying.

Mall shooting suspect's mother calls him 'displeased customer'

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Although police haven't released a motive yet, the mother of the suspect in the Knoxville Center Mall shooting says her son was a "displeased customer" of the menswear store where an employee was killed.

Gladys Johnson, who spoke to 6 News by phone Thursday, says she was shocked when she learned her son, William Johnson, was charged in the shooting at Reno Menswear.

A Reno employee, Ahmad Nahl, was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon. William Johnson is charged with one count of felony murder.

Gladys Johnson says there was an ongoing incident between her son and the store over three suits he purchased there for a total of nearly $1,000.

She says two of the suits were tailored incorrectly and the third suit was misplaced, but her son was denied a refund.

Gladys Johnson says her son has a handgun permit, but rarely carried a gun.

She adds that he doesn't have a temper and always makes people laugh.

William Johnson was charged with assault in Knox County in 1991. However, the charge was later dismissed.

His mother also says he's the father of a seven-year-old child.

..., but did he have it on him?

VIP Member
    She adds that he doesn't have a temper and always makes people laugh.
    Sounds familiar doesn't it. "He's a good boy, everyone likes him, it can't be his fault!"
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Perhaps he lied to mom about having a permit.
    NRA Life Member

A bit angry over the purchase of suits?
    Well, his new 'suits' will fit just fine and delivery will be extremely prompt...hope he likes the design.

Stay armed...always give refunds...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Perhaps he lied to mom about having a permit.
    Good possibility there.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    It's reported he DID NOT have a permit!!
    I sure hope that is right. Particularly at this time, given the election, we don't need to feed ammo to the anti-gun people.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Simon Properties

This mall is a gangbanga haven. My wife and I live the the area, but we would rather drive several miles to the other side of town for a safer (relatively) environment. Incidentally, I have never seen the proper posting (or any posting) prohibiting guns at the mall. The TN statute specifies that the sign be at the entrance(s), of a certain size, and easily seen.

I have seen the comments about Simon Properties, and have to agree they are fools. The other mall in town is and always has been Westown Mall. When this mall was built, they of course named it East Town Mall. Later on, they felt having "East" in the name associated them with a certain element of society that they didn't want to be associated with. They changed the name of the mall to Knoxville Center. Anyone who lives around here knows the only thing central about this place is that it's in the middle of "that" part of town.

The name change came with no discernable change in security policy at the mall. Any time you go there you see a herd of punks, hoods, and freaks wandering around with no apparent reason for being there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links