Another Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on Another Mall Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another mall shooting today, this one in Knoxville TN National News - Customer opens fire at Tenn. mall, killing worker Customer opens fire at Tenn. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Mall Shooting

VIP Member

Angry Another Mall Shooting

Another mall shooting today, this one in Knoxville TN

National News - Customer opens fire at Tenn. mall, killing worker

Customer opens fire at Tenn. mall, killing worker
    news-national-20081009-Tennesee.Mall.Shooting

Two unmarked police cars sit outside Knoxville Center Mall Wednesday, Oct. 8...
    3 hours ago
    Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 202

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. A customer opened fire in a crowded shopping mall Wednesday afternoon, killing a clothing store employee before he was shot and wounded by police officers, authorities said. Witnesses said the gunfire sent people "stampeding" for cover.

The employee was shot multiple times around 4:20 p.m. EDT after a confrontation with the customer and died at Knoxville Center Mall, police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said. No other injuries were reported.

Two uniformed Knoxville Police Department officers confronted the suspect and exchanged gunfire with him as he exited Reno Menswear, DeBusk said.

The suspect was taken to University of Tennessee Medical Center, where a nursing supervisor said she didn't have a report on his condition. Police didn't release the names of the customer or the suspect.

Witness Daniel Wiles said he saw a man about a hundred feet away with a handgun, heard nine shots and saw people begin fleeing for cover.

"I heard a single shot. Then immediately after that I heard eight additional shots. People started stampeding," said Wiles, who was at the mall to pay a cell phone bill.

Kay Jewelers assistant manager Cayla Corum said that before she heard gun shots a worker warned her to shut the gates to the store because of reports of someone carrying a gun in the mall.

"At first, it sounded like firecrackers going off," said Corum, 21. "Then everyone started running. ... I've never experienced anything like it in my life."

Corum said she heard two shots, a pause, and then "at least 15" shots.

The mall closed for the night about 1 1/2 hours after the shooting. Witnesses said several of the mall's stores closed their gates as a precaution when shots were heard.

Knoxville Center Mall is owned by Simon Property Group of Indianapolis. A spokesman did not immediately return a phone message for comment.

Simon Property Group is very anti gun. I don't know of any of their malls that are not posted. I'd like to see someone sue them for failure to provide proper security.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    When will they learn? At least only one was killed. Kind of insensitive, but it could have been much worse.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Very sad and senseless.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    When will they learn?
    When the last innocent is dead in a gutter, apparently.

Some simply won't see truth, no matter how much blood it costs.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That was a Simon Properties mall. I wonder if they will start posting no weapons signs? There is only one Simon property I know of in Colorado. It's the Aurora Mall and I wouldn't suggest going to it un-armed. However, here in Colorado it is only a suggestion.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I think those malls are around here. Leastwise the signs say no weapons (even those legally concealed, EVEN off-duty LEO).So I equip like Batman . . . prepared for just about anything.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Yes Indeed..

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Very sad and senseless.
    Simply Terrible!!!

Not again! Strange...I didn't hear about this on our local 10 o'clock news.

I used to work in a mall, and I know many times I felt unsafe. I worked in the back moving boxes into the store I worked for and in the back it is very secluded but doors lead directly outside to where anyone could come in or go out from there. Being alone back there at night was a little nerve racking. I think malls need to take a serious look at their safety precautions.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    one shot, then 9 more. Ban 10 round magazines! All weapons will be single shot only. Breechloaders to be banned shortly.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    one shot, then 9 more.
    According to one witness; "two, then at least 15 more" according to another.

Will be interesting to hear the rest of the story - what instigated it, who the shooter was, etc...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Kay Jewelers assistant manager Cayla Corum said that before she heard gun shots a worker warned her to shut the gates to the store because of reports of someone carrying a gun in the mall.
    Looks like it was not a spur of the moment thing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

yeah, thats odd. i also did'nt hear anything til i read this post.
    prays go out to the victims family in this tragic event.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    That was a Simon Properties mall. I wonder if they will start posting no weapons signs? There is only one Simon property I know of in Colorado. It's the Aurora Mall and I wouldn't suggest going to it un-armed. However, here in Colorado it is only a suggestion.

We have those malls in Texas. If they post a no weapons sign of any type they won't be getting my business anymore. At night the kids and young adults (17 to 20 years old) take the mall over.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Ron
    Every time I read about something like this, I always wonder and pray that the shooter did not have a carry permit. Does anyone have that information?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links