Possible home invasion attempt...

This is a discussion on Possible home invasion attempt... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last evening about 6PM I got a call from someone who could hardly speak English who wanted to see my house (for sale by owner). ...

Thread: Possible home invasion attempt...

Last evening about 6PM I got a call from someone who could hardly speak English who wanted to see my house (for sale by owner). We set it up for 6PM the next evening. He calls back about 6:15 and says he will be there in 20 minutes and I say OK. My wife says she don't like it and tells me I should arm myself. Something just seemed creepy so I do and we wait until 6:45 and I call him. I ask where is he and he stutters and stammers and says he is here. I'm at my front door and tell him he isn't here he stalls with jib jab talk in Spanish and after about a minute of not letting me get a word in I say are you alone. More stalling and he says yeah but I here other voices so I ask him if he is bulletproof. He stalls again and says what you mean. I told him if he isn't alone don't come and if he ain't bulletproof don't come or he would leave full of holes if I see gang bangers. (I got that line from someone else on this forum) He tells me he'll call back and hangs up. Immidietly called 911, told the dispatcher what happened and that I was legally armed but did not want to shoot anyone so please get the Sherrif here ASAP. Two units show up about 25 minutes later. I held my hands in the air with CCW in hand, said I was the homeowner and legally armed. I offered to surrender my weapon. Female officer asked where it was and removed it from the IWB holster. She asked would I mind if she cleared it for their safety. I said sure, full mag + 1 in the pipe. She took the report while the other LEO ran my CCW and gun serial number. They were very professional and all went very smooth. They returned my gun and ammo and said reload whenever I want. The guy never showed, I left more lights than usual on and the pistol on, not in the night table. I don't think I overeacted and it seems the cell phone is stolen. Any updates I'll keep y'all posted.

Considering you probably had a massive adrenaline rush and were thinking a million miles an hour, you did pretty well.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have made threats ("are you bullet proof?" etc...). That could be used against you in court, ESPECIALLY if they showed up and you ended up having to shoot them.

My opinion: Don't let them know you have a gun, or even any lethal weapons, until you need to use them. Otherwise you're giving away your element of surprise. Also, now they know where there's a house with some guns inside...

Keep a close eye out for awhile, and good luck selling your home.

Nice car, by the way I usually dislike American cars, with two major exceptions: Old Shelby Cobras and new (2005+) Corvettes.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

My only comment is that you don't need to have a ccw in order to be legally armed in your own home. Honestly, no reason to have even offered that info to the LEO's

You're in Florida......not Illinois!

Other than that, sounds like you did the right thing all around!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

It was nice of the police to come over and check your personal property (firearm) to see if it was stolen.

Michael

I think I would have been pretty nervous in this situation!! I do not think I would have asked if he was bulletproof. If they were attempting a home invasion, it certainly would have tipped them off as to some of what they may face. I would have rather had the element of surprise.
    This said, I was not there, so it is hard to say exactly what I would have done. The important thing is that you and your family are safe. Keep your eyes open.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

VIP Member
    Huh, I don't get what the issue was. Sounds like personal panic to me.

So they potential buyer was late? Big deal. Happens all the time. Some folks are always 45 minutes late. They shouldn't behave that way, but that's the way they are. Why would that cause you to think they were up to something or gang bangers?

It sounds to me like someone wanted to see the house for sale by owner; for whatever reason you developed misgivings (must have been something more than them being 15 minutes late), and the dialog you offered up was over the top. Consequently, you may have just scared off a serious buyer. You also bothered the police over nothing at all. I'm surprised they even bothered to check on this as apparently no one was at your home when you phoned.

How might the conversation gone if you simply said to the prospective, and late, potential customer that, "since you are running so late it isn't convenient for us right now, can you make a new appointment, please." Their response to a polite comment might have revealed in a more definitive way exactly whether or not there was a problem.

If you don't want strangers coming to your house, don't advertise for sale by owner. Hire a realtor and at least the potential buyer will be pre-screened.

In our community, a realtor was murdered about 20 years back. After, they began making customers meet them at their office, where there were security photos taken, license plate numbers recorded, and driver's license numbers recorded. At least one other person in the office knew the realtor left with a customer, and to what homes they were going.

Believe me, I understand the desire to avoid the cost of using a realtor, but there are some downsides to do it yourself sales besides the obvious risk of letting an unscreened and unknown to you individual see your house.

Not a good idea to make threats, although years ago I used that same bullet proof stuff on a jerk that threatened my wife and family, as he was angry that my wife exposed his crooked rack in his dealings with her company. He was a big Southern Red Neck, by big I mean 6'5" and figured nobody could touch him because of his size. I let him know in no uncertain terms I took his threats VERY seriously and wouldn't sit idle to have him hurt anyone of my family members. Told him he was not bullet proof and would bleed like anyone else. I need not be able to kick his behind, I could just shoot it, if he bothered any of us. Never heard anything more from him.

It sounds like possibly a communication problem with one of our southern friends. Not understanding your questions. Might have been lost, can't read street signs in English. May have lost a buyer, I don't see a threat. That being said, I take my wife's gut feeling very seriously and would have gone Orange right away. Other than having LEO's fondle my weapon and without the verbal threats, you did OK.

I think you jumped the gun on calling 911. I also think there was a communication problem between the two parties as well. I also agree with the point and I wouldn't have said squat about my permit or given up my firearm...over the phone or in person. It doesn't hurt to trust one's instincts once in a while, but maybe a bit more research could have been done in this case. While your concerns if explained correctly to LE in this situation may have seemed valid, I think there was a possibility of a frivolous 911 call, and you're lucky everything turned out alright. In my opinion of course.

If possible, schedule a home viewing during the day.

Do not make threats at any time...not on the phone, not in person.

If you call the police to YOUR home, there should be no need to disarm or remove bullets from your weapon. If the LEO is uncomfortable, then tell him/her that you will leave the weapon inside the home. Or better yet, just leave the weapon inside the home when you see a patrol car pull up.

OK, let me tip the cart here...if you want to buy my American home, speak the language...English, or bring someone along so that you will understand the transaction. OMO, of course.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's extremely unwise to threaten to shoot someone. In fact, why were you so alarmed that someone was late or absent for an appointment to see your house? How did you explain the 911 call to the cops who arrived?

VIP Member
    Yeah I'm thinking you might have gone a little overboard too... especially when you threatened the caller. I think I would have just told him to forget it and not to come.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It wasn't a "communication problem" 2 years of Spanish and Manager of a hotel 9 years with Latino staff my "Spanglish" is damn good. Grant it I should not have threatened them but I just flat out didn't want them to show up. I was suspicious because of his inconsistantcies and out and out lie that he was alone. There also was recently an unsolved home invasion here. It turns out the cell phone he called on was stolen leading me to further believe my instincts were justified. Thanks for the comments and I'll try not to make threats in the unlikely event anything like this should ever happen again.

Info like, you speak Spanish, recent invasions & stolen cell, is all helpful for the analysis of situation. Most important is that you & wife are safe, always go with instincts & gut feelings. Cling- On

Sponsored Links