Bad: Police say man shot to death was complying with robber

This is a discussion on Bad: Police say man shot to death was complying with robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; STLtoday - Police: Man shot to death was complying with robber Police: Man shot to death was complying with robber ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH 10/10/2008 UPDATED, ...

Thread: Bad: Police say man shot to death was complying with robber

Thumbs down Bad: Police say man shot to death was complying with robber

STLtoday - Police: Man shot to death was complying with robber

Police: Man shot to death was complying with robber
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/10/2008

UPDATED, 5:45 a.m.
    10/10/2008

ST. LOUIS The man who was shot to death in the parking lot of a Schnucks store in north St. Louis has been identified as Bruce A. McCaleb.

Police say McCaleb, 44, died at the scene after being shot once in the head at 7:42 p.m. Thursday.

The shooting happened at 3447 Union Boulevard, the parking lot of a strip mall that has a Schnucks store. It's at the intersection of Union and Natural Bridge Road.

Police say McCaleb was in a car with a relative and another person when he was shot. They told police that a man came up to them and announced a robbery.

The two in the car with McCaleb told police that they were cooperating with the robber when he shot McCaleb once in the head. The gunman got away in a gold or tan SUV, police say.

Last night, police investigators at the scene said McCaleb may have known the shooter. No further details on that today.

McCaleb lived in the 7800 block of Bandero Drive in south St. Louis.
    Lots of interesting comments following this story on the paper's website. Some clueless, some right on.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What kind of area is that? I'm interested to know about both the scene and the victims residence.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm...takes off after shooting one, but leaves the other two as witnesses???

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What kind of area is that? I'm interested to know about both the scene and the victims residence.
    The scene is not in a good area. It's near an area I refer to as Beirut because of all the old buildings that look as if they've been bombed. Here's a comment on the paper's website concerning that area:
    Quote Originally Posted by 1INAMILLI
    First of all,I'm a young black man and I wouldn't stay on the northside if you paid me.
    October 10, 2008 11:35AM CST

The victim's residence on the south side is not in a good area either: not far from East St. Louis, but on the Missouri side.

Come to think of it, there aren't many, if any, "good neighborhoods" in St. Louis IMO. None that I would want to live in. It's urban combat in many St. Louis neighborhoods, daytime or night, police around or not.

Administrator
    Thanks, that what I thought, but hadnt been to St. Louis since I was at Ft. L.W. years ago.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    STLtoday - Police: Man shot to death was complying with robber

Lots of interesting comments following this story on the paper's website. Some clueless, some right on.
    Reading through the comments, I think I have less of a problem with the so-called "bigoted" comments, and more of a problem with the self-righteous grand-standers who call other posters ignorant, inbred, and/or bigots. Seriously, ad hominem attack is the lowest form of argument, and the ultra-PC types employ it with stunning regularity. If they take issue with a comment, they should fight it with logic, not merely insults.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

So much for the Brady Bunchs' recommendation to "just give them what they want."

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    So much for the Brady Bunchs' recommendation to "just give them what they want."
    Now there ya' go again, interjecting common sense in to an emotional argument. The sad thing is that even though you are right, they wouldn't admit it if brought to their attention.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Man grady, that's really sad.

I can't help but wonder if the robbery wasn't really the main objective though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

While reading the local newspaper on crime reports, I found the following report for one day earlier this month. I didn't pick out the one with the most crime--this is the first one-day summary I ran across.

This is from South St. Louis, where the victim in the above story lived: Suburban Journals | Crime | South City Police Beat for Oct. 1
    South City Police Beat for Oct. 1

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 2:46 PM CDT

The following are among recent incidents in South St. Louis neighborhoods listed in the city police Daily Crimes and Happenings Report:

Bevo Mill

The Discount Smoke Shop at 4600 Chippewa Street was robbed at gunpoint at 10:36 a.m. Sept. 24.

A 19-year-old man was arrested for possession of a controlled substance at 7:40 p.m. Sept. 24 in the 4100 block of Meramec Street.

Boulevard Heights

A 56-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman were assaulted with a gun and their property damaged by four male juveniles at 6:15 a.m. Sept. 19 in the 4100 block of Haven Street.

A 47-year-old man is suspected in the domestic-simple assault of a 31-year-old woman at 9:40 a.m. Sept. 21 in the 4600 block of Loughborough Avenue.

Carondelet

A 49-year-old man reported he was robbed by a person with a knife at 7:10 p.m. Sept. 20 in the 7700 block of South Broadway.

A 34-year-old woman was the victim of a burglary reported Sept. 23 in the 6600 block of Idaho Avenue.

A 15-year-old juvenile was arrested for kidnapping and robbery with a gun following an incident at 7:11 p.m. Sept. 23 in the 5500 block of Tennessee Avenue.

Two men, 30 and 31, were arrested for burglary and possession of burglary tools for an incident reported Sept. 24 at a business in the 7200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Cheltenham

Two men, 20 and 24, were arrested for possession of a controlled substance on Sept. 19 in the 5600 block of Oakland Avenue.

Dutchtown

A 22-year-old man was assaulted and injured by a man, about 35, at 5:25 a.m. Sept. 20 in the 4600 block of South 38th Street.

A 42-year-old woman was the victim of a burglary between 9:30 p.m. Sept. 18 and 9 a.m. Sept. 20 in the 4600 block of South Grand Boulevard.

Patch

A 22-year-old woman and a 53-year-old man were victims of assault and burglary reported at 5:12 p.m. Sept. 20 in the 200 block of Schirmer Street.

Princeton Heights

Two men, 28 and 26, were arrested for possession of a controlled substance on Sept. 20 in the 4900 block of Gresham Avenue.

Shaw

A 40-year-old man was arrested for the domestic-aggravated assault of a 27-year-old woman at 12:10 p.m. Sept. 19 in the 4200 block of Botanical Avenue.

Southwest Garden

Two men, 47 and 43, were robbed by two men, each about 17, at 10:22 p.m. Sept. 23 in the 1900 block of Alfred Avenue.

Tower Grove South

A 38-year-old man was robbed at 9 a.m. Sept. 23 at Giles Avenue and Phillips Place by an unknown man, about 40.

A 27-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint by a man, about 18, at 10:08 p.m. Sept. 23 in the 4100 block of Arsenal Street.
    Welcome to St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    While reading the local newspaper on crime reports, I found the following report for one day earlier this month. I didn't pick out the one with the most crime--this is the first one-day summary I ran across.

This is from South St. Louis, where the victim in the above story lived: Suburban Journals | Crime | South City Police Beat for Oct. 1

Welcome to St. Louis.
    All this happened in one part of town in one day? Wow! Makes me glad that I live where I am. That is just ridiculous.

Thanks for posting the article, being a young man my father has a somewhat uneasy stance on the whole conceal carry thing, i sent him this article to show him its importance.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm...takes off after shooting one, but leaves the other two as witnesses???

Rick

Maybe it was Barney Fife, Andy only gave him one bullet

When faced with a BG who has a gun, I guess trying to do something to save your own hide is better than compliance and getting shot anyway...
    I guess you'd have to be there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A friend of mine used to live near Detroit, so I have experienced Detroit first-hand.

I have also experienced visiting this same person, St Louis. I would like to say that both are tragically bad. I would never go there on purpose anymore.

Detroit I got lost going away from the airport, and ended up lost in Detroit :(. Michigan is ALWAYS under construction.

St Louis, I just wanted to visit some places. Then I wanted to leave those places.

The outskirts aren't fun either. They may 'look' better, but the apartment buildings my friend lived in were filled with low-class people, drugs, and fights all the time.

One of the worst experiences I've ever had on a trip, and I've driven all over the country.

Links