FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade - Page 2

FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade

This is a discussion on FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good, there aren't enough positive selection processes in modern society....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good, there aren't enough positive selection processes in modern society.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck says the FBI underestimates self-defense killings by citizens because the ones that are not precipitated by felony crimes may not get counted. 'Less than a third of (citizen killings) are reported,' he says.
    What he was getting at is that the number of justified shootings cited by FBI statistics only include those that occurred because of a felony. If there was no felony involved, the FBI didn't count them.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

With ~16K murders and nearly a million and a half violent crimes in 2007, it should be a hundred times that number.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I didn't care much for the first paragraph where they say it reflects a "shoot first" mentality. That's not it at all.

I suppose if a woman fights off a rapist we can call her a "vigilante" because she tried to survive? But, I'll get off my high horse and say that the rest of the article seemed better than the first paragraph.

He would know because Dr. Kleck is one of the worlds foremost researchers of the effects of guns and gun control on our society. Dr. Kleck began his research as a firm believer in gun control.
    My bad, looks like I've got a lot of reading to do, guess I'm just on the bama defensive right now, I was at the Gun Store in Vegas yesterday and was amazed at how many women (all ages) that were standing in line to purchase or pick up their handguns...before the election...just in case.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Not surprising actually. BG's beware........we can take back our country! "Sometimes you just gotta ask yourself......do ya feel lucky?"

I think he's referring to the FBI stats that all agencies report (UCR Report) Agencies report certain types of crimes. The more category one crimes (murder, robbery, so on) the more likely they can get grant funding. If it's not a crime, (ie self defense) it not listed in the report and therefore might not even be reported.

Stats are a wonderful thing.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Justifiable homicides are up?

That means more criminals are dying. Is there are down-side to that?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    He would know because Dr. Kleck is one of the worlds foremost researchers of the effects of guns and gun control on our society. Dr. Kleck began his research as a firm believer in gun control. But in a speech delivered to the National Research Council, he said while he was once "a believer in the antigun' thesis," he has now moved "beyond even the skeptic position." Dr. Kleck is a professor in the school of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University. ...
    Kleck is a good guy. George Will has quoted Dr. Kleck in NEWSWEEK, no less, to make the point that a selectively-armed citizenry is good for law and order, giving the example that when a guy (Colin Ferrell?) went amok on a Long Island commuter train and shot a bunch of guys going home at night, it would have been a good thing if some of the commuters were armed and could have stopped the carnage against which they were defensless. He also proposed on This Week that the Virginia Tech slaughter wouldn't have been nearloy as catastrophic is some students had been able to go to their cars, retrieve weapons, and return fire. Needless to say, he was shouted down by the other members of the 'Round Table'.

All very good news indeed.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Like Ted Nugent says, "No repeat offenders, just dead offenders."

That's exactly as it should be...time to start making the dirtbags fear the 'working conditions'.

Stay armed...no repeat offenders...stay safe!
    Amen brotha!

I'm not sure I read it the same way as you folks. Seems to me that it is partly saying that we are more willing to shoot before finding another way around the problem. It could be read as people and LEOs being trigger happy - and the blame is on heavily armed offenders. I'm not so sure this is a feather in our cap as those taking responsability for our own safety. Go back and read it again.

I'm not advocating that interpretation, but that is how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    I'd also like to the extrapolated cost savings on society, the judcial, and prisons.
    From the WSJ (Quote from the LA Chief of Police):

Keeping a convicted murderer in prison in California costs about $70,000 a year when legal costs and other items are factored in.

Here's the simple math, ignoring a lot of other costs:

391 + 254 = 645 fewer prison sentences

645 X $70,000 = $45,150,000 savings per year.

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    One could also make some inferences about the reduction of crimes due to this. Made be hard to make the corollary but I'm sure there is one and especially if this data are focus on the "correct" demographic and agressively advertised.
    There's gotta be a way to balance the Federal Budget in here somewhere..........

VIP Member

Yes, remarkable restraint by the GGs

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    With ~16K murders and nearly a million and a half violent crimes in 2007, it should be a hundred times that number.
    Yes, it should be a much bigger number.

What this shows is absolutely amazing restraint by both police and armed good guy citizens.

Sometimes there's asliver of common sense makes it through and gives me hope in America.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links