Good and Bad: 8th Grader stops invader with BB gun (WI)

This is a discussion on Good and Bad: 8th Grader stops invader with BB gun (WI) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by WKOW: 8th Grader stops invader with BB gun Posted: Oct 10, 2008 07:27 PM Madison (WKOW) -- 13 year old Jack Theisen ...

Thread: Good and Bad: 8th Grader stops invader with BB gun (WI)

As reported by WKOW:

8th Grader stops invader with BB gun

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 07:27 PM

Madison (WKOW) -- 13 year old Jack Theisen had to make a quick decision when two would-be robbers were in the process of coming through an unlocked, basement door, and Theisen was home alone.

Theisen grabbed his Red Ryder model BB gun and shot the first invader in the shoulder, scaring off both men.

"He's resilient," Jack Theisen's father, Mike Theisen told 27 News.

Mike Theisen said his son, an eighth grade student at St. James Catholic School, has taken a hunter safety course and is proficient and safe with guns.

Theisen said his son spotted the two men as they cased the front of the house on Sherman Avenue, perhaps believing the house was empty since most of the lights were out around 8 p.m. Oct. 9. Theisen said Jack Theisen then watched the men make their way to the home's side entrance.

Theisen said he rushed home from his nearby restaurant after his son called and told him of the emergency.

"I did have a conversation with him that calling 911 would have been the more appropriate thing to do than be a hero," Theisen told 27 News. "But he's just that kind of a kid. He's responsible and wise for his age."

Theisen said Jack Theisen's contingency plan was to run from the men and on to the home's second story roof through a secluded door.

Police officials said they are looking for the two home invasion suspects, who they describe as white men around eighteen years old, with one of the men about 6'0'' and 200 pounds.

Theisen said another home invasion in his lakeside neighborhood took place in the spring. Theisen said his family had not rehearsed a plan of action in the event of a burglary or robbery attempt at their home.

Theisen said while he has mixed emotions over his son confronting intruders, he said he is proud of him. "He's got guts."

The story with follow up video can be found at; http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.a...nav=menu1362_2

- Janq

NOTES: Several things were done right here. The kid was taught properly about firearm safety. He also used his superior knowledge of his house to put himself in an advantageous defensive position. He also called some form of help once his instinct told him something was wrong.
    Obviously wrong things were done, including not calling 911 immediately etc. But for what this kid had at his disposal... I was impressed.

This incident though is a perfect example of my own personal number one motivator toward why I choose to volunteer my time to teach firearm handling and safety and more as a Volunteer Instructor toward 'Basic Hunter Education'. Further it is why I will teach and train my own children same and more so that even if they choose to never hunt they will at the very least have basic functional knowledge in how to handle a firearm as well as aim and pull a trigger using whatever tools are at hand to score hits in order to support their own survival. The youngest child I've instructed in a class was age 10 participating with his father.

BTW this made the 'Clayton Cramer' citizen firearm self defense blog!
    It is the third incident in a year that I've seen where citizens have used an air/pneumatic powered weapon to defend them self or another from imminent danger (the others were two adult women). As well it is the second time this year I've seen a story about a child employing arms toward defense (the first case was a boy who shot and killed his father in defense of his mother using a .22 rifle).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    While this kid got lucky, what would the story have been had the invaders kept coming. Most likely an injured child who could have well hidden on the roof and called 911.
    I hope the family gets a plan of action together in case of emergency to help the kid better cope.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Shoulda had a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    Shoulda had a shotgun.
    Or to be within the letter of the law a paintball marker.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This kid sounds responsible enough to have access to a real firearm in the home...then he could have prevented 'repeat offenders'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I am seeing an increase in news reports of BB gun violence, I fear that this may be one of the next media driven trends in legislation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Kinda reminds me of the movie "Home Alone". Smart kid, just needs a little more firepower.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Sponsored Links