Bad: NZ Police officer shot dead

This is a discussion on Bad: NZ Police officer shot dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Locals honour slain police officer - Papakura Courier news on Stuff.co.nz This happened a month or so ago, the perps used a high power .22 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: NZ Police officer shot dead

Locals honour slain police officer - Papakura Courier news on Stuff.co.nz

This happened a month or so ago, the perps used a high power .22 air rifle (1000 fps)

Consequently they are looking at changing the laws here to make it harder to buy them (ie will need a firearms licence), currently anyone over the age of 18 can buy these with no checks.

Anyway the 2 undercover (and unarmed cops) were placing a tracking device on a car at 3am in the morning outside a suspected Meth Lab.

Without warning the perps burst out of the house and pursued the running officers in their car. They managed to catch up shooting one officer in the head (killing him) and beating the other one up.

Armed police were in the area as backup but it all unfolded in under a minute so were unable to assist.

The sad thing is if they were armed this wouldnt have happened, no amount of suvellience would have told the investigating officers wether or not the perps had gun inside or not.

Its sad our country hasn't adopted a fully armed police force, even our new taser system wont be worn on the hip and only be deployed in situations that they deem high enough level to use them (and they still need permission from base to deploy it).

Problem with violent crime is it can happen and unfold anytime, anywhere, and if you arent prepared for it then this is what happens.

Very sad and completely unecessary, the officers wife cant even sue.

The perp will most likley get 12-15 years jail but be out in 8 years on parole for good behaviour.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Senior Moderator
    So they are looking at changing the law because some scumbag killed a cop?

I dont suppose the fact that most of the guns owned have never been used in a crime makes any difference right?

Yeah...that makes alot of sense.

Soon yall will be shooting at the badguys with slingshots.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Unarmed police in my opinion is so stupid. And like you said, if they'd been armed it wouldn't have happened.
    Now they want to regulate air rifles....
    A stone thrown to hit the head would probably kill also as would a hammer. Are they going to regulate those and sell them to adults only? Guess it'd be hard to regulate stones or brick's though huh?.
    I just don't understand how some people think that guns and knives with blades longer than three inches are the only things that can be used to kill.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Its sad our country hasn't adopted a fully armed police force, even our new taser system wont be worn on the hip and only be deployed in situations that they deem high enough level to use them (and they still need permission from base to deploy it).

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sending law enforcement officers out unarmed should be a crime everywhere.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Youre right putting more restrictions on the air rifles isnt going to stop drug dealers and hardened criminals getting their hands on them.

But I sort of support it for the fact that alot of people (especially parents for their teenagers) are buying these weapons and misusing them thinking they are toys.

By making it a requirment to provide a licence it will

a) make it not worth the effort for parents to go and get a licence in order to buy them for their brats
    b) stop them being used by irresponsible teens

Anyone that has the 4 weeks and the $80 to go and sit their A class licence is not likely to use these airguns for irresponsible use and will have some education in safe use of firearms

As you would all agree, if we ban guns then only the criminals will have guns but there needs to be some checks and rules in place to ensure irresponsible people (not necessarily criminals) have limited access to things like this.

You mean even when cops call 911 they don't get there in time to save them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here in FL one can get a permit fairly easily. If you screw up with that permit...you lose it. If anyone without a permit gets caught with a firearm, you should go to jail for 20 years mandatory. Make the criminal control real tough, not the gun control.

If I'm a law-abiding citizen, do not penalize ME for the things that the dirtbag are doing...lock up the dirtbags for loooooong sentences and don't let them out for 'good behavior'.

In NZ cops can't carry a gun? How do they find people to take the job?
    They should just hire the criminals, they already have their own weapons...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You mean even when cops call 911 they don't get there in time to save them
    These guys had backup about 1 block away (standard procedure) still unfolded to quick to get an armed response in.

We do have firearms out in the feild but they are locked in the boot of the police car until required, so really they are looking at using them reactively rather than proactivly.

Mind you each car has upto 6 firearms including 7.62 Bushmasters, Glock 17s, and now X26 Tasers, so its not like they are completely unarmed.

Senior Moderator
    Mind you each car has upto 6 firearms including 7.62 Bushmasters, Glock 17s, and now X26 Tasers, so its not like they are completely unarmed
    If they dont have them when they need them, then they are unarmed.
    Just like the officer that got shot in the head.
    Weapons in the trunk of the car did him no good what so ever.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sounds like the low life sum bag perp intended to fire at the cop's head and do as much damage as possible. I wonder what he would feel like if we let the cop's widow take pot shots at him? or just allow her to chase him down with a car and do what she feels fit to do.

Then, not that it's enough that a cop died in the line of duty...but now we have to put up with the stinkin' politicians and their backwards way of thinking. Let's make it hard for the good buys to get firearms while the bad guys go to the street corner and trade drugs and sell babies for their next pistol. How does the world produce these liberal idiots?

IMO New Zealand doesn't need more gun laws, it just needs to "take the cuffs off " of it's police force and give them a fighting chance.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

In the UK most cops are not armed and according to their association they don't want to be armed.
    Personally I think this is dumb as a situation can occur and there are no ARV (armed response vehicles) in the area and suddenly you have a dead cop.

Regarding Air Weapons.

In the UK a Pistol is restricted to 6 ftlbs muzzle energy, and a rifle to 12 ftlbs.
    If you want more power in a rifle you have to have a Firearms Certificate
    We have had a number of incidents with "kids" taking pot shots at vehicles and people and a couple of deaths.
    The Scots now want to put air weapons on "ticket" (Firearms Licence)
    I don't think this will work as there are possible millions of air weapons in the UK.
    They did ban the brocock air cartridge system a couple of years ago (cartridge contains air and a pellet sits on top) when scum bags started to modify them to fire .22 rim (apparently it was only 5 or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    The importers had sold something like 50000 and only 2000 were registered.
    They made it a section 5 weapon (like a class III) which should mean 5 years picking the soap up in jail, in truth a suspended sentance.

I'm not for gun control for adults with clean records but I don't see a problem with keeping the guns out of drugged up scum bags hands.

Certainly in the UK the main problem with all crimes is the poor sentancing.
    Keep in mind that possession of a illegal handgun is suppose to be a 5 year jail term, we have seen judges sentence 18 months or less.
    Recently we had a young lad "keeping" a full auto sten gun for local hoods and all he got was 18 months susupended.
    I think in the US he would have got 10 years!!!

If you don't enforce the law people will take the P*** as they know they are likely to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    In the UK most cops are not armed and according to their association they don't want to be armed.
    Personally I think this is dumb as a situation can occur and there are no ARV (armed response vehicles) in the area and suddenly you have a dead cop.

Regarding Air Weapons.

In the UK a Pistol is restricted to 6 ftlbs muzzle energy, and a rifle to 12 ftlbs.
    If you want more power in a rifle you have to have a Firearms Certificate
    We have had a number of incidents with "kids" taking pot shots at vehicles and people and a couple of deaths.
    The Scots now want to put air weapons on "ticket" (Firearms Licence)
    I don't think this will work as there are possible millions of air weapons in the UK.
    They did ban the brocock air cartridge system a couple of years ago (cartridge contains air and a pellet sits on top) when scum bags started to modify them to fire .22 rim (apparently it was only 5 or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    The importers had sold something like 50000 and only 2000 were registered.
    They made it a section 5 weapon (like a class III) which should mean 5 years picking the soap up in jail, in truth a suspended sentance.

I'm not for gun control for adults with clean records but I don't see a problem with keeping the guns out of drugged up scum bags hands.

Certainly in the UK the main problem with all crimes is the poor sentancing.
    Keep in mind that possession of a illegal handgun is suppose to be a 5 year jail term, we have seen judges sentence 18 months or less.
    Recently we had a young lad "keeping" a full auto sten gun for local hoods and all he got was 18 months susupended.
    I think in the US he would have got 10 years!!!

If you don't enforce the law people will take the P*** as they know they are likely to walk.
    And on top of that, it seems that a person who defends their home with a 2x4 will get sent to jail for years. how messed up is that.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Bad guys with air rifles sounds so bizarre to me. Air rifles were a toy when I was a kid.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links