Good - Armed Samaritan Helps Woman - Shreveport, LA

This is a discussion on Good - Armed Samaritan Helps Woman - Shreveport, LA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UPDATED: Homeowner shoots man who tries to break into his house | ShreveportTimes | The Times A Shreveport man is recovering from a gunshot wound ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

UPDATED: Homeowner shoots man who tries to break into his house | ShreveportTimes | The Times

A Shreveport man is recovering from a gunshot wound after he was injured following a domestic disturbance with his wife.

James Stanley was shot in the abdomen by a homeowner in the 4400 block of Kent Road where Stanley's wife had gone to seek refuge after a domestic argument, according to Caddo deputies

Stanley and his wife got into an argument at a local business just after midnight. The woman left in Stanley's truck, and he followed her in another vehicle.

Before arriving at their house, Stanley began ramming the truck from behind several times. His wife stopped a few blocks from home, and ran to the residence of friends for help, deputies said.

Stanley began banging on the door and was told to leave, which he did, but he soon returned. The homeowner warned Stanley he had a gun and ordered him to leave. Stanley continued to bang on the door and broke a window.

The homeowner then fired a shot through the door with a 12-gauge shotgun, striking Stanley in the stomach. He was taken to LSU Hospital in Shreveport where he underwent surgery.

Deputies say Stanley was the aggressor in the incident, and he has been charged with aggravated assault, disturbing the peace, and simple property damage. The homeowner has not been charged, but the case is still under investigation and will be forwarded to the District Attorney's Office for review.
    Clearly Mr. Stanley was the agressor in this incident, and hopefully the samaritan will not face any charges.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

agreed. The homeowener gave him plenty enough warning to leave and cool down.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    But 'through the door'? Assuming there isn't anything else to the story, I certainly agree that the idiot was warned and chose to continue, but where's the threat to life? Once inside, sure... and if the door moves an inch towards opening, of course! But if he's still outside, I don't see it.

'Through the door' is not good.....but........

You've got to positivly ID your intended target AND know your background.
    That could've ended much worse...but........

The aggressor was warned and still continued to escalate the situation, and knowing who it was behind the door ....well......to bad for the wife beater
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

In a perfect world "through the door" wouldn't be a problem because the perp can shoot you through the door, hence there is still a threat-level even if they are outside.

In the real world, that would land you in a heap of trouble in most states. But, +1 that the homeowner is not being railroaded.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    In a perfect world "through the door" wouldn't be a problem because the perp can shoot you through the door, hence there is still a threat-level even if they are outside.

In the real world, that would land you in a heap of trouble in most states. But, +1 that the homeowner is not being railroaded.
    I believe that the 'through the door' scenario stopped being a problem with the idiot being warned and then he decided to break windows...OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my opnion windows can be fixed (thats what insurance is for), once you kill someone you cant take that back.

What if someone else was outside the door with the guy ?

If that were me I would have called the cops and taken cover somewhere that I could easily engage the person if they decided to enter my property but out of sight and away from windows if the other guy was armed and decided to shoot through a window.

Or I would have at least asked the wife if her husband had gun on him or access to a gun.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't do it. Let the Police come and get him. Now, if he comes thru the door or shows a weapon ... whole new situation.

As far as shooting through the door being a bad thing, I think it depends on the door you are shooting through. I have a front door that has enough glass in it that I can positively identify my target through it. (If it had any more glass I would replace it.) In fact, without further description of the door we could possibly be talking about a locked screen door!

I don't think we have enough information to form an informed opinion.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Don't know about Lousiana, but in NC,
    "A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence."

IMHO, the breaking window triggers deadly consequences... especially after a warning has been given...

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    But 'through the door'? Assuming there isn't anything else to the story, I certainly agree that the idiot was warned and chose to continue, but where's the threat to life? Once inside, sure... and if the door moves an inch towards opening, of course! But if he's still outside, I don't see it.
    I never get this reasoning. The intruder is past the property line trespassing with the expressed intent and apparent ability to to bodily harm. Why should I wait for the door to come down so he can see me to get a shot off or is there some reason you are willing to bet your or your family's life that the attacker did not return with a gun? As far as positively identifying the target. Umm that would be the jerk off on the other side of the door trying to kick it down. If he was not directly on the other side of the door trying to kick it in to do me grievous bodily harm he would not have been hit. Duhhhhhh
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I am surprised that nobody else has brought this up either, although the intent to harm was obvious the second that he decided to ram his vehicle into the wife's vehicle during her attempt to flee. A motor vehicle can be considered a deadly weapon, so technically he had already escalated the situation to a potential lethal force scenario in my opinion.

Anyone else like to chime in on this?

+1 for the homeowner, he protected an innocent life, i would most likely done the same. He showed intent to do harm, he acted on his rage and he got what was coming to him. and if someone was with him, then oh well they would have been shot also, because if there was a second person he would have been helping in the aggression or he wouldnt have been there at all. It doesnt pay to go beat on doors and show hostility, because you will end up shot. just my .02
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Links