Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY - Page 2

Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

This is a discussion on Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The system, the system! Help from the system! Need help from the system! This is so infuriating, I'm sick of the bias and the enabling ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

AAAAH, the system!

The system, the system!
    Help from the system!
    Need help from the system!

This is so infuriating, I'm sick of the bias and the enabling of low-life characters.

Oppositional defiant disorder

Oppositional defiant disorder is a juvenile precursor to what's called antisocial personality disorder in the adult.
    See in DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

The common name for this type of behavior is "criminal".

Wonder why the parents weren't controlling the little mutt at 2:00 in the freaking morning. The parents should assume full responsibility. 15 years old? Well, the good news is he won't be 16, and the parents won't have to worry about medical bills in a lousy economy. Good on the LEO.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

One of the job hazards when you start stealing form people. Every job has its risks.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    For once, couldn't the writer tell the truth and insert what really needs to be said?

From the story:

“I know he was doing wrong, but did the officer have to use lethal force?”
    Absolutely, your thug son pulled an armed robbery.

The emotionally disturbed teen walked up to off-duty Buffalo Police Officer Lamar McCulley and demanded his valuables in the predawn hours of Friday outside an East Side gas station-minimart...
    When the officer failed to respond quickly enough, Rodolph raised what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun inches from McCulley’s face and again said, “Give me everything you have.”
    The officer fully complied with the little dirtbag's demands...just not in the order he expected.

“At that point, the officer did give him everything he had at the end of a 9 mm Glock,” PBA attorney Thomas Burton said late Friday in providing details of why he believes McCulley acted in self-defense. It turned out the weapon Rodolph pointed at the officer was a BB gun, but Burton said, “At the moment it happened, it might as well have been a cannon.”
    A BB gun? Ya can't fix stupid...oh, wait a minute...the officer did fix it!

...Rodolph was still pointing the gun at him “and so the officer fired again.”
    Again, quick thinking on the part of the officer.

One of the shots struck Rodolph in the face and killed him, according to the teen’s maternal aunt, who viewed his body at the Erie County Medical Examiner’s office late Friday morning.
    Hey, pretty good shooting, if you ask me!

“I know he was doing wrong, but did the officer have to use lethal force?” Debbie Rodolph, the aunt and a nurse, said of the thwarted robbery at East Delavan Avenue and Grider Street.
    Another yes to this question, too!

It is unknown if Rodolph, who dropped to the ground when the gunfire started, was struck more than once, or if he fired his BB gun at the officer.
    Who cares? The officer made it home to his family that night.

Rodolph was the subject of a front page Buffalo News story earlier this year about people with disabilities in need of assistance through Supplemental Security Income benefits from the federal government.
    Well, he just got his assistance.

He had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which made it hard for him to concentrate, and oppositional defiant disorder, which caused him to defy all authority figures, his mother told The News in May.
    What a crock of...

“Kelvin had problems, but he was basically a good kid,” said Leslie Furman, the maternal grandfather of the youth.
    Well now he's good AND dead, not our problem.

He and other family members...
    They were concerned that the police department had already released a preliminary determination that McCulley had acted in a justifiable manner. Burton said at least five shots were fired by McCulley and possibly more. The clip in the Glock holds 17 rounds and one in the chamber.
    He only used five shots...a demonstration of great restraint.

“No shooting should be decided that fast. The family is pressing for a thorough investigation. I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,” the grandfather asked.
    Answer: Because your little dirtbag son had no business being out at 2 A.M. sticking a gun in anyone's face.

“It was a BB gun. My nephew could have fired all he wanted and it wouldn’t have hurt the cop,” said Debbie Rodolph.
    It's been said before, you can't fix stupid.

Richards said McCulley faced an extreme situation with a gun pointed at his head. “In situations like this, there are no winners,” the chief said.
    I disagree, the cop won!

Burton, who serves as counsel to the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association, said state law is very clear on individuals being permitted to defend themselves in a robbery.
    Pretty clear to me, also.

Rodolph was wearing a knit cap covering the top half of his face and a bandanna pulled up over his mouth and nose, Burton said.
    Maybe he had a clothing disorder, too?

Issuing a statement through relatives, Rodolph’s grief-stricken mother said her son was recently discharged from the residential unit at Hopevale, a Hamburg facility for troubled young people, and was supposed to receive follow-up care for his conditions, which also included a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, which causes extreme mood swings.
    I think the mood swings will stop now!

“He was supposed to receive mentoring assistance. We were supposed to get the help in the last two weeks and they never came here or called,” said Furman, her father, in making the statement on her behalf.
    He just received 'permanent' help.

Debbie Rodolph, the older sister of the mother, said her nephew was in dire need of help from the system.
    Be thankful the 'system' responded!

“He needed the system to work for him and it didn’t. Now he’s dead. My sister fought so hard to get him help,” the aunt said of the mother’s battle with the government to gain benefits.
    You mean that he was 'working' the system, and now he's dead.
    It's pretty apparent how resupt99 feels about the situation. Oh, the lack of sensitivity.

I would fall of my chair if a parent ever said. Yep, It was the kids fault. I told him not to do something like that and he now got himself killed.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I would fall of my chair if a parent ever said. Yep, It was the kids fault. I told him not to do something like that and he now got himself killed.
    I'd hazard a guess that your equilibrium is relatively safe.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Amazingly there was a mother who said exactly that about her son who went on a shooting rampage here in Washington. Said she loved her son but wished he was killed before he murdered all those people.

6 die in shooting rampage
    Dennise Zamora said her son had been growing increasingly psychotic in recent days.
    "We're devastated for everybody," Dennise Zamora said from her home near Alger, about 10 miles north of Mount Vernon. "I'd rather it had been him or me, rather than these dear people."
    I was shocked when I read it and could not help but feel for the mom. Yeah she makes a case for his being a whack job but she does not excuse what he did
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Sympathies to both sides, but we all know who's right and who's wrong. So that's that.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

My sister fought so hard to get him help,” the aunt said of the mother’s battle with the government to gain benefits.
    So it is all OUR fault because she couldn't get free government $$$$$$$ either directly or in the form of "services"?????????

+1 for the cop, -1 for the idiot
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    It's pretty apparent how resupt99 feels about the situation. Oh, the lack of sensitivity.
    My sensitivity goes to the LEO. Hopefully he gets over this shooting with no emotional scarring.

The parents should be charged with neglect. A 15 yo out at 2 in the morning and armed with a weapon?

Why is it always the fault of everyone else, The LEO, The System, every one but the First Line of Defense? The Parents!!!

Maybe, I am not seeing this correctly, but if my kids are ever out at 2AM doing mischief, the LEO's are the least of thier worries.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member
    I hope there is a law suit over this, and there dang well should be!!!!! The police department should be suing the family for every cost incurred down to and including the ammo it took to finish his life of crime.

It's truly amazing what those "good" kids do now days.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

But thank God for sensible cops who understand the risks of living in our city: “You have no duty to turn tail and run when someone is trying to rob you with a weapon. That goes for a citizen or, obviously, a police officer,” Burton said. “It turns out it was a BB gun, but that’s of no account because the victim of a robbery doesn’t have to learn to his disagreeable surprise that it is a real weapon.”
    Amen to that. Career criminal in training........school's rather tough nowadays!

cj
    “No shooting should be decided that fast. The family is pressing for a thorough investigation. I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,” the grandfather asked.
    I wish some decent movies would promote the reality of shooting rather than the point of view that bullets are like lasers that go exactly where the shooter wants them to go every time.

Horrible tragedy for the family (but knowing his issues, could have done more to keep him safer...for example by knowing where he was a 2:00 in the morning), but also for the officer who has to live with this. Even knowing that he responded the only way he could, it has to be difficult.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links