Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY - Page 3

Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

This is a discussion on Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Found another sickening article about the shooting University at Buffalo the Spectrum Yet another death that could have been avoided... At a time like this, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

Found another sickening article about the shooting

University at Buffalo the Spectrum

Yet another death that could have been avoided...

At a time like this, people attempt to cast blame on one person or group in order to dampen the grim reality of the event. The sad truth, though, is that all parties are to blame in this case.

Officer Lamar McCulley panicked. A man put a gun to his head. It's tough to put blame on this young officer for this tragedy.

But when the officer found himself able to clear his weapon without being shot, wasn't his responsibility as a man who is required to carry a deadly weapon as part of his job to assess the situation and respond accordingly?

Instead, McCulley fired five shots in his attacker's general direction. The idea that a cop would let off five rounds in a residential area in that short a time is terrifying. In truth, this calls attention to the importance of proper training for law enforcement officers. It's all well and good to be a good shot in a range, but are these people being adequately prepared for real-life situations?

cj
    Wow, what an idealistic view of the world so many who have never been outside of academia seem to have.

But when the officer found himself able to clear his weapon without being shot, wasn't his responsibility as a man who is required to carry a deadly weapon as part of his job to assess the situation and respond accordingly?
    To whoever the author was (odd that there's no credit for this self-righteous article) - Yes, he DID react and respond accordingly: He felt his life was in danger and he stopped the threat. Stopping and thinking, "Hmm, I wonder why he hasn't shot yet?" when your, or someone else's life, is in danger is a great way to get someone shot.

That editorial is ridiculous.

The officer found that he was some how still alive so thus it was his duty to choose not to try to fight for his life.
    Stupid, ignorant, and lacking in common sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The only thing worse than the situation that has happened is the fact that under one of our two potential Presidential administrations the family would be right and the officer wrong. Why hold people to be responsible for themselves and their actions when you can blame someone else and use taxpayer money to make things "better"? All I can say is for the betterment of society, and the minimizing of issues like this everyone needs to vote for the Elephant and pray the jackass goes down...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Exactly what lefty/liberals say when their side of an issue is entirely indefensible:

...The sad truth, though, is that all parties are to blame in this case...
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    "I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,” the grandfather asked.
    He didn't shoot to kill. He shot to live.

VIP Member
    I wonder if the department this Officer works for will replace the bullets he had to use or does he have to purchase his own...hmmm,not to mention his overtime.
    Maybe they could invoice the little junior BG's family.

“It turns out it was a BB gun, but that’s of no account because the victim of a robbery doesn’t have to learn to his disagreeable surprise that it is a real weapon.”
    The warning: Not a toy. May cause fatal injury. is stamped on the side of my Sheridan. A shot in the ear could have been fatal.
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    That editorial is ridiculous.

The officer found that he was some how still alive so thus it was his duty to choose not to try to fight for his life.
    Stupid, ignorant, and lacking in common sense.

- Janq
    Exactly my thoughts as well. What I find most disconcerting is the blaming of the officer...and no accountability on the part of the BG. But I also know, fortunately, we live in a society that allows opinion. And I believe his opinion will be in the minority concerning this incident.

Rick

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It's amazing how malcontents nowadays always think that assistance should be in the form of a government check. As if money was going to solve a mental problem. Lets face it, grandpa, momma and auntie are simply looking for easy money as was junior.
    Both news articles are sickeningly biased, but in answer to grandpa's question as to why the officer shot to kill instead of to maim, because we're trained to shoot to kill.
    As for the lame psuedo illness of resistance to authority figures, the cop was wearing an overcoat and his uniform was concealed. The punk thought he was an easy mark, that's why he accosted him. Had he known he was a cop, he'd have looked for easier prey. He didn't know he was an "authority figure". Better luck next time gramps.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The real truth is, if the 'system' hadn't been giving the family 'assistance', then the kid would have probably been working a job to ensure he had enough to eat. And in a truly free country, of course, a life of armed robbery would be a death sentence as it wouldn't be long before a good upstanding citizen like this officer would defend their life against the scum.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links