Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

This is a discussion on Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As soon as this story broke yesterday I was waiting for the sickeningly liberal retelling of the story by our spineless newspaper the Buffalo News. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Off-Duty Cop shoots teen who attempts to rob him at gas station - Buffalo, NY

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

As soon as this story broke yesterday I was waiting for the sickeningly liberal retelling of the story by our spineless newspaper the Buffalo News. This cop was just getting off his shift and stopped for a can of soda and as he waited at the window of the gas station the teen put a gun in his ear and demanded the cop to hand over "everything you got". Well he got it all right. He even got one to the face. “At that point, the officer did give him everything he had at the end of a 9 mm Glock,” PBA attorney Thomas Burton said

I knew it would only be a matter of time before we were listening to the family of the BG telling us how he was a misunderstood youth who loved basketball and had dreams of becoming a rapper.

"I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,” the grandfather asked.

And now lets pause for a moment while the family of the dead BG blames the system: "Debbie Rodolph, the older sister of the mother, said her nephew was in dire need of help from the system. “He needed the system to work for him and it didn’t. Now he’s dead. My sister fought so hard to get him help,” the aunt said of the mother’s battle with the government to gain benefits.

But thank God for sensible cops who understand the risks of living in our city: “You have no duty to turn tail and run when someone is trying to rob you with a weapon. That goes for a citizen or, obviously, a police officer,” Burton said. “It turns out it was a BB gun, but that’s of no account because the victim of a robbery doesn’t have to learn to his disagreeable surprise that it is a real weapon.”

My city is in a downward spiral. Now more than ever it is important to spend that free time at the range to prepare for the moment we hope never comes.

He was a good boy.

The cop shouldn't have shot him.

This little dirtbag got everything he deserved...
    This kind of scum is destroying society. Every 'axe murderer' has a mother who loves him. I understand that, and expect comments to support that fact. Great! Had this mother really loved this kid, she would have been trying to find out about his 'thug' activities and trying to give him some proper guidance.

Congrats to this cop...he saved society from the future activities of this little dirtbag, and he also saved the taxpayers lots of wasted money.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was just up there visiting family last week...I really hate having to leave my protection at home during a 430mi drive because I can't carry there. It is a shame that only a select few are allowed to defend themselves. At least my family doesn't live in the city. I do know what you mean about the tripe that the Buffalo News shovels on a daily basis. I am glad I only need to spend a weekend a year back home.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

He was a good boy.

The cop shouldn't have shot him.

This little dirtbag got everything he deserved...
    This kind of scum is destroying society. Every 'axe murderer' has a mother who loves him. I understand that, and expect comments to support that fact. Great! Had this mother really loved this kid, she would have been trying to find out about his 'thug' activities and trying to give him some proper guidance.

Congrats to this cop...he saved society from the future activities of this little dirtbag, and he also saved the taxpayers lots of wasted money.
    SO TRUE !!!

I got in a position in life (meaning I'm getting old) where I just do not go in States or Cities where I cannot protect myself.
    See my sig
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

He had ... oppositional defiant disorder, which caused him to defy all authority figures
    Guess he shouldn't have defied this authority figure. Doesn't matter if he didn't know the officer was a cop. He shouldn't have been trying to rob him.

“It was a BB gun. My nephew could have fired all he wanted and it wouldn’t have hurt the cop,”
    So in the dark of night, in the millisecond it took for the 15-year-old to raise the gun, the cop was supposed to closely examine the weapon being aimed at him? What an idiodic statement.

Ya play with fire, sometimes ya get burnt.

This policeman probably saved many future victims of this young thug who wouldn't respond to authority. This policeman probably saved innocent lives by his actions.

Administrator
    Give the officer a few days off to rest up and the family a box of kleenex and a shovel. The gubment gave all the assistance they should have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Give the officer a few days off to rest up and the family a box of kleenex and a shovel. The gubment gave all the assistance they should have.
    That's the example of the system working for him and the family I'd like to see.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

[QUOTE=Siafu;88282

“It turns out it was a BB gun, but that’s of no account because the victim of a robbery doesn’t have to learn to his disagreeable surprise that it is a real weapon.”

Sounds like a simular case in Shreveport, LA, two days ago. The LEO got the call "Man with a gun". When he arrived on the scene he found a man walking down the street. When the LEO asked the man to raise his hands, the man produced a hand gun. The LEO unloaded on him, but only hit him twice, one in the shoulder, one in the leg. (I think this LEO needs a lot more training with his hand gun.) Turned out that the gun was a BB gun. The man will survive his injuries, and the family is glad. His mother said that he was an alcoholic and needed help. She further stated that she hoped that this was his bottom, and that he would seek help for his addiction. In spite of the poorly placed shoots fired by the LEO, I'm sure he is glad that his shooting was so poor, and that he didn't kill another human being.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I hope he has obtained a lawyer to represent him in the "wrongful death" law suit that is coming. I'm sure the boys family has already been contacted by dozens of ambulance chasers, wanting to represent them.

Lets see, tomorrow Jesse Jackson, Charles Rangel and others will protesting the police brutality of the innocent black children of this country. The fact the kid was a thug, committing a violent crime won't matter to them.
    Last edited by archer51; October 25th, 2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added thought
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I hope he has obtained a lawyer to represent him in the "wrongful death" law suit that is coming. I'm sure the boys family has already been contacted by dozens of ambulance chasers, wanting to represent them.

Lets see, tomorrow Jesse Jackson, Charles Rangel and others will protesting the police brutality of the innocent black children of this country. The fact the kid was a thug, committing a violent crime won't matter to them.
    Sad to say, your so right.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

What was a 15-year-old doing walking the streets at 2:40 a.m.?

The boy's family should be charged for any expenses that the police department or the officer encrue because of this, such as lost days, counseling, etc.

Is that cruel? Yes, it was cruel for the boy to stick a gun in the officer's face.

The boy made an adult thug decision, and paid an adult thug price.

So the family stated that "he just needed more help, more time to get better"

So what are all of us law abiding people supposed to do in the mean time...let this "healing person" beat, rob, and stick guns in our faces until he can "figure out the right path"? I think not! If this shooting didn't happen, maybe this kid would have traded in his BB gun and the money from this robbery in for a real gun, and the next incident would be under a "BAD, UGLY" listing on this forum.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

I guess 20 years behing bars is the time needed for these thugs to get better at the gubmint's expense.The system let him down? BS the parents let him down with thow shalt not steal,but it's easier to blame other people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We saw the comments about why the cop shouldn't have shot him. Can you imagine the press if it would have been one of us CCW holders protecting ourselves? That' what worries me most about carrying. I remember 3 days in to LFI-1 my buddy an I were crying about all the responsibility carrying entails. Fortunately, on the last day an impassioned speech by Masaad cleared up a lot for us.

For once, couldn't the writer tell the truth and insert what really needs to be said?

From the story:

“I know he was doing wrong, but did the officer have to use lethal force?”
    Absolutely, your thug son pulled an armed robbery.

The emotionally disturbed teen walked up to off-duty Buffalo Police Officer Lamar McCulley and demanded his valuables in the predawn hours of Friday outside an East Side gas station-minimart...
    When the officer failed to respond quickly enough, Rodolph raised what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun inches from McCulley’s face and again said, “Give me everything you have.”
    The officer fully complied with the little dirtbag's demands...just not in the order he expected.

“At that point, the officer did give him everything he had at the end of a 9 mm Glock,” PBA attorney Thomas Burton said late Friday in providing details of why he believes McCulley acted in self-defense. It turned out the weapon Rodolph pointed at the officer was a BB gun, but Burton said, “At the moment it happened, it might as well have been a cannon.”
    A BB gun? Ya can't fix stupid...oh, wait a minute...the officer did fix it!

...Rodolph was still pointing the gun at him “and so the officer fired again.”
    Again, quick thinking on the part of the officer.

One of the shots struck Rodolph in the face and killed him, according to the teen’s maternal aunt, who viewed his body at the Erie County Medical Examiner’s office late Friday morning.
    Hey, pretty good shooting, if you ask me!

“I know he was doing wrong, but did the officer have to use lethal force?” Debbie Rodolph, the aunt and a nurse, said of the thwarted robbery at East Delavan Avenue and Grider Street.
    Another yes to this question, too!

It is unknown if Rodolph, who dropped to the ground when the gunfire started, was struck more than once, or if he fired his BB gun at the officer.
    Who cares? The officer made it home to his family that night.

Rodolph was the subject of a front page Buffalo News story earlier this year about people with disabilities in need of assistance through Supplemental Security Income benefits from the federal government.
    Well, he just got his assistance.

He had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which made it hard for him to concentrate, and oppositional defiant disorder, which caused him to defy all authority figures, his mother told The News in May.
    What a crock of...

“Kelvin had problems, but he was basically a good kid,” said Leslie Furman, the maternal grandfather of the youth.
    Well now he's good AND dead, not our problem.

He and other family members...
    They were concerned that the police department had already released a preliminary determination that McCulley had acted in a justifiable manner. Burton said at least five shots were fired by McCulley and possibly more. The clip in the Glock holds 17 rounds and one in the chamber.
    He only used five shots...a demonstration of great restraint.

“No shooting should be decided that fast. The family is pressing for a thorough investigation. I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,” the grandfather asked.
    Answer: Because your little dirtbag son had no business being out at 2 A.M. sticking a gun in anyone's face.

“It was a BB gun. My nephew could have fired all he wanted and it wouldn’t have hurt the cop,” said Debbie Rodolph.
    It's been said before, you can't fix stupid.

Richards said McCulley faced an extreme situation with a gun pointed at his head. “In situations like this, there are no winners,” the chief said.
    I disagree, the cop won!

Burton, who serves as counsel to the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association, said state law is very clear on individuals being permitted to defend themselves in a robbery.
    Pretty clear to me, also.

Rodolph was wearing a knit cap covering the top half of his face and a bandanna pulled up over his mouth and nose, Burton said.
    Maybe he had a clothing disorder, too?

Issuing a statement through relatives, Rodolph’s grief-stricken mother said her son was recently discharged from the residential unit at Hopevale, a Hamburg facility for troubled young people, and was supposed to receive follow-up care for his conditions, which also included a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, which causes extreme mood swings.
    I think the mood swings will stop now!

“He was supposed to receive mentoring assistance. We were supposed to get the help in the last two weeks and they never came here or called,” said Furman, her father, in making the statement on her behalf.
    He just received 'permanent' help.

Debbie Rodolph, the older sister of the mother, said her nephew was in dire need of help from the system.
    Be thankful the 'system' responded!

“He needed the system to work for him and it didn’t. Now he’s dead. My sister fought so hard to get him help,” the aunt said of the mother’s battle with the government to gain benefits.
    You mean that he was 'working' the system, and now he's dead.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links