Good: Attempted carjacking of off-duty officer by two thugs (Merged)

This is a discussion on Good: Attempted carjacking of off-duty officer by two thugs (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported on tonight's news, a St. Louis County off-duty police officer was approached on his property by two 18-year-old men, one of whom had ...

Thread: Good: Attempted carjacking of off-duty officer by two thugs (Merged)

Good: Attempted carjacking of off-duty officer by two thugs (Merged)

As reported on tonight's news, a St. Louis County off-duty police officer was approached on his property by two 18-year-old men, one of whom had a gun. Initial reports are that they demanded his car, and after a struggle, the officer shot and killed one of the carjackers.

It was reported this happened in Florissant. I'll post a link once it's been published.

I classify this as good because the officer survived.

2. Remove Ads

I'm curious, I wonder which boy will turn out to be the 'Eagle Scout', altar boy, and honor student package all in one?????

Glad the cop came out on top...two more dirtbags got exactly what they deserved...well, one did.

Stay armed...anytime, anywhere...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 26th, 2008 at 07:59 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Grady, Keep us posted. I love a story with a happy ending!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm curious, I wonder which boy will turn out to be the 'Eagle Scout', altar boy, and honor student package all in one?????
    The same one who was trying to "turn his life around"!!

Here is the news link. Note the time of 12:30 p.m. Just a regular Sunday afternoon until this happened.

Anytime, any place.

STLtoday - Off-duty officer kills carjacking suspect

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/27/2008

UPDATED, 10:40 a.m.
    10/27/2008

FLORISSANT — Florissant police say they are withholding the name for now of the suspected carjacker who was killed in front of an off-duty county police officer's home.

Police say the 18-year-old suspected carjacker was shot to death Sunday afternoon in the first block of Claire Drive by an unidentified off-duty St. Louis County police officer.

Florissant Police Chief William Karabas said he plans to keep the name of the dead person a secret until officers get warrants charging his accomplice with a crime. Police have that suspected accomplice in custody.

The detectives plan to present their findings to the prosecutor's office. Karabas said a news release announcing the charges -- and the dead man's identity -- should be issued later this afternoon.

OUR EARLIER STORY

By Joel Currier
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

FLORISSANT -- An off-duty St. Louis County police officer shot and killed a man Sunday in an alleged attempted carjacking in front of the officer's Florissant home, police said.

Shortly after 12:30 p.m., police said, an armed 18-year-old man approached the off-duty officer who had just gotten out of his car.

The officer was in his driveway in the first block of Claire Drive near New Florissant Road, police said. The gunman approached the officer and demanded the keys to the officer's blue Toyota Camry, police said.

Florissant police Lt. Tim Lowery said the officer wrested the handgun away from the suspect as they fought and fell to the ground.

The officer shot the suspect in the head during the fight, Lowery said. The officer was shaken up but not hurt.

Another 18-year-old man who was with the suspect but had not approached the officer, ran off but was arrested a short time later, Lowery said. Charges are pending against him.

Police late Sunday had not released the identities of any of the men.

"It was absolutely self-defense," Lowery said of the officer's actions.

A neighbor who lived across the street was watching the Rams game when he heard a gunshot. He walked outside and saw the suspect dead next to the driveway. He said he couldn't believe what had happened just outside his house.

"To do that right in the middle of the day, to me, that's crazy," said Mike Belcher 39. "And the guy paid for it with his life."

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    That officer has big brass ones. I think I would have coughed up the keys before jumping into hand to hand combat with an armed thug. Glad he came out on top.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Off duty Officer

Off duty police officer shoots, kills person at Florissant home

Police Call Shooting "Self Defense"

09:15 AM CDT on Monday, October 27, 2008

St. Louis (KMOV) -- An off duty St. Louis County police officer shot and killed a person who allegedly tried to steal his car at his home in Florissant around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, said Florissant Police Chief Bill Karabas.

> Larger player Karabas said the off duty officer was doing a home improvement project on Claire Dr. near New Florissant Rd. and had just moved his vehicle when two suspects allegedly approached him and demanded his car.

One of the suspects had a gun and pointed it at the officer while demanding the vehicle, according to Karabas.

The officer struggled with one of the 18-year-old suspects. An unknown number of shots were fired and the suspect was shot in the head and killed, said Lt. Tim Lowery of the Florissant Police Department.

Lowery said a second 18-year-old suspect fled the scene on foot and was captured a short time later by police.

The second suspect is being questioned at the Florissant Police Department head quarters.

Police plan to take the information to St. Louis prosecutors on Monday.

Chief Karabas said both 18-year-old suspects are from north St. Louis City and police are trying to determine what lead them to Florissant.

Police said the St. Louis County officer has been with the police department for more than five years. No other information has been released.

An investigation is ongoing.

Off duty police officer shoots, kills person at Florissant home | Top Stories | KMOV.com | St. Louis, MO

Good job Officer.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    think this is the same one running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...two-thugs.html
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Good job Officer!

We now have a new member of the "Pool Cleaners of America"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Mo
    That's got to be terrifying - struggling with someone for a gun. Sounds like the cop got the gun pointed in the right direction and pulled the trigger.

I'm curious as to the board's opinion - if the cop had ripped the gun away from the thug after a struggle and then shot the guy in the head, could he have claimed self-defense? I would imagine in that situation I would have shot the thug as well, but I can see legal complications if, for instance, witnesses reported seeing you take the gun from the bad guy and then shoot him, even if it was almost a reflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    if the cop had ripped the gun away from the thug after a struggle and then shot the guy in the head, could he have claimed self-defense?
    IMO yes. The thug probably wouldn't stop struggling as soon as he lost his gun, plus there was another thug present and a very real danger. For all the LEO knew, the other thug could have been armed also.

Danger to the LEO did not disappear once he had the gun, not by a long shot. He was in a life-or-death struggle as long as the thugs were present and still functioning.

Self-defense all the way.

This story just cements the reason why I always carry at home when in the yard doing yard work.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I think I would have coughed up the keys before jumping into hand to hand combat with an armed thug. Glad he came out on top.
    The problem with coughing up the keys and not try to defend yourself is that you are now placing your life totally in the hands of a criminal. I guess it's a 50/50 odds that you get shot either by fighting back or giving up the keys.
    NRA Member

Excellent job on one, mandatory training on engaging a second target at a school of your choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If the accomplice had helped his buddy in the hand-to-hand, it would likely have turned out much differently for the LEO. Instead, he ran away at the first hint of trouble; no honor among thieves.

Links