Bad: dead in Arkansas campus shooting; one suspect in custodyStory Highlights

This is a discussion on Bad: dead in Arkansas campus shooting; one suspect in custodyStory Highlights within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 dead in Arkansas campus shooting; one suspect in custody - CNN.com (CNN) -- Two students were killed and another person was wounded in a ...

Thread: Bad: dead in Arkansas campus shooting; one suspect in custodyStory Highlights

2 dead in Arkansas campus shooting; one suspect in custody - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Two students were killed and another person was wounded in a shooting at the University of Central Arkansas on Sunday evening, according to a hospital spokesman.

The shooting, which happened outside a dorm, prompted a campus lockdown and the cancellation of Monday classes.

One person was detained for questioning but has not been arrested, according to Lt. Rhonda Swindle, a spokesman for the campus police.

"At this time we do have some pretty good leads," Swindle said.

One student died on the scene, and a second died at Conway Regional Medical Center, a hospital spokesman said.

The hospital spokesman said the person who died there was an 18-year-old male, but he did not have any additional information.

A third person, a 19-year-old male, was released from the hospital after being treated for a gunshot wound to his leg, a hospital spokesman said.

The shots were fired near Arkansas Hall and the Snow Fine Arts Center at 9:22 p.m. (10:22 p.m. ET), Swindle said.

Freshman Sam Hausen was about 50 feet away from the shooters when the gunfire began.

"I heard about five or 10 shots and, at first, I thought it was just firecrackers, because everybody always clowns around out there, but I just realized that it wasn't firecrackers," Hausen said.

As he began running away, he saw one of the wounded students hit the ground and another stumbled into the dorm, he said.

"I saw a couple cars speed off," Hausen said. "I don't know if they were the shooters or not."

Student Lauren Knight was walking to the library when it happened. She said chaos erupted, with students scurrying for safety.

When the campus lockdown was ordered, Knight was stuck with other students for several hours inside the library.

Classes were canceled for Monday at the university which serves about 12,500 full-time students in Conway, Arkansas.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Well, here we go again with Arkansas. Definitely breaking news for me this Monday morning. I'll be watching for this on the local news in a few minutes.
    http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu151_2

Police: 2 students dead in UCA shooting

Associated Press - October 27, 2008 5:24 AM ET

CONWAY, Ark. (AP) - A shooting in the heart of the University of Central Arkansas' campus killed two students and wounded a third person.

Authorities are looking for four suspects. The campus is no longer under lockdown, but classes are canceled today and police are guarding the campus entrances.

UCA police Lt. Rhonda Swindle says the first report of shots fired came at 9:19 p.m. Sunday. An officer heard the shooting, which occurred near a male dormitory and behind the campus police station, and arrived to the scene in less than a minute, she said.

Witnesses described hearing as many as five gunshots ring out. One man fell to the sidewalk along the narrow alley between the Arkansas Hall dormitory and the Snow Fine Arts Center and died. Swindle said the two others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics later found them.

1 of the men died at a local hospital, while another who wasn't a student was treated and released.

Swindle had no immediate explanation for the shooting, though she said police questioned one "person of interest" into the early morning hours. She says detectives believe four people were involved in the attack, though no arrest or search warrants had been issued in the case. She says investigators are working on good leads. She says video from surveillance cameras will be examined.

Swindle declined to identify the victims of the shooting, saying their next of kin had not yet been reached. The bodies will be sent to the state Crime Laboratory in Little Rock for autopsies.

Interim UCA President Tom Courtway canceled classes Monday at the university, which serves 12,500 students. He stressed that every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of the students who remained in their dormitory rooms.

Police used crime scene tape to keep people out of a large area around where the shootings occurred, including a nearby intersection. Pools of blood still stained the cold cement sidewalk early Monday morning. Firefighters worked to hose the blood away.

Courtway says he thought police officers and the university's emergency alert system performed well in the minutes after the shooting. However, he promised to conduct a thorough examination of shooting to ensure students' safety in the future.

On the Net:

University of Central Arkansas: http://www.uca.edu

Senior Moderator
    Well...I've got a son that goes there. He is a senior. He called last night to tell us he was OK.Naturally his mom was upset. Didn't do much for me either.

The general cosensous thus far is "drugs". That may be true or it may not, but it wouldnt suprise me. if it was.He is off today, the school is in lockdown.

Of course, being a target rich enviornment,about all one could do is get the heck out of dodge and hope that someone didnt follow you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

An officer heard the shooting... and arrived to the scene in less than a minute
    It still wasn't soon enough for the ones who were shot.

Personal protection is still the best. It's too bad most college students can't legally arm themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've got a son that goes there.
    Glad your son is okay.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    FIREARMS POLICY
    Any student possessing, storing, or using a firearm on university controlled
    property or at university sponsored or supervised functions, unless
    authorized by the University, will be suspended from UCA for a period of not
    less than three (3) years unless a waiver of the suspension is granted by the
    president upon the recommendation of the vice president for student
    services.
    Straight from the student handbook.

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Well...I've got a son that goes there. He is a senior. He called last night to tell us he was OK.Naturally his mom was upset. Didn't do much for me either.
    SO glad to hear your boy is alright!

This is just a sickening situation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    It still wasn't soon enough for the ones who were shot.

Personal protection is still the best. It's too bad most college students can't legally arm themselves.

Glad your son is okay.
    Grady, this exactly what I was thinking when the story broke. A minute is still too long. The police usually show up to take the report.

Stay armed...it may only take seconds...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The news said this morning they have the 4 suspects in custody. Now us taxpayers have the "honor" of providing for them 24/7. At least until they are let out for good behavior.

Four Men Charged in Fatal University of Central Arkansas Shooting
    Tuesday , October 28, 2008

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,444570,00.html

ADVERTISEMENT
    CONWAY, Ark. —

Four men were charged Tuesday with capital murder and other felonies for the fatal shootings of two students and wounding of a third near a University of Central Arkansas dormitory, and officials said the victims may not have been the assailants' targets.

The two murder charges against each defendant carry either the death penalty or a life sentence if convicted. However, Prosecutor Marcus Vaden declined to say if he'd ask a jury for the death penalty.

"Certainly, that is on the table," Vaden said at a news conference.

Kawin Brockman, 19, of Conway; Kelcey Perry, 19, of Morrilton; Mario Toney, 20, of Little Rock; and Brandon Wade, 20, of Lake Village, also face charges of attempted capital murder, eight counts of terroristic threatening, and gun violations.

Click here for photos.

They are accused of killing Ryan Henderson, 18, of Little Rock, and Chavares Block, 19, of Dermott. Martrevis Norman of Blytheville was wounded in the leg but has been released from the hospital.

Investigators declined to offer many details of the shooting Sunday night at the campus in Conway, about 30 miles north of Little Rock.

The men appear to have driven up on a group of students near the Arkansas Hall dormitory and fired at least eight rounds from a semiautomatic pistol, campus police Lt. Preston Grumbles said. He declined to say whether or not multiple handguns were used.

"It appears that they were not the intended targets," Grumbles said. "It appears that, at this time in the investigation, that they were no way involved in the motive that we're formulating."

While Vaden declined to elaborate, he said the defendants each has some sort of criminal record.

So far, some suspects have spoken with investigators about the night of the crime, while others have remained silent, the prosecutor said.

"This is an incredibly heinous case," Vaden told reporters. "When you have a situation where it appears some, if not all of the victims were innocent bystanders, that's bad."

The men remain held in the Faulkner County jail without bond pending a court hearing. Police declined to identify their lawyers. Telephone numbers registered in Perry's and Toney's names were disconnected. A number for Brockman could not be found. A man who answered a number in Wade's name said the defendant was not represented by a lawyer. The man declined to comment.

The university resumed classes Tuesday, with students mostly quiet as they walked through the autumn chill. More than 300 students, faculty members and Conway residents filed into an auditorium in the afternoon to remember the two slain students. Those entering passed a pair of enlarged photos of the two slaying victims — Henderson looking at the camera with a pensive look on his face, hands clasped; Block posing in an all-white suit at his 2006 high school prom.

"We will move forward," Wendy Holbrook, associate dean of students, told those gathered. "We will not forget."

Students swayed to "Amazing Grace" and later stomped and clapped to a gospel ballad.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Straight from the student handbook.

Any questions?
    The victim ages were 18 and 19. It isn't like they would be carrying a gun even if the university allowed it because they are under age for such activities.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    The victim ages were 18 and 19. It isn't like they would be carrying a gun even if the university allowed it because they are under age for such activities.
    When I got out of the Army, I had my Montgomery GI Bill benefits, which could have paid for up to 3 years of college.

I was 27 years old.

Surely, not EVERYONE who attends this college is under 21 YOA.

It was Ann Pressley, then a lady taking a shower, 2 nuts (one from West Memphis, Ark.) on a theoretical racial killing spree and now 2 students dead....jeeze or should I say jeeze you all? Whats going on down here ? Ah its good to be sane and armed.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Links