Teen defends grandpa by shooting mom

This is a discussion on Teen defends grandpa by shooting mom within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman's Death Ruled Justifiable Homicide WICHITA, Kan.*Dec 29, 2005 —*A woman who died after a car crash had been shot in the heart minutes earlier ...

VIP Member

Woman's Death Ruled Justifiable Homicide

WICHITA, Kan.*Dec 29, 2005 —*A woman who died after a car crash had been shot in the heart minutes earlier with a pellet gun that her 14-year-old son received as a Christmas gift, police said.

Police said the teen was protecting his grandfather from his mother, Elizabeth White. She was threatening the grandfather with a pair of scissors, according to authorities.

The death was ruled a justifiable homicide, said Capt. Randy Landen of the Wichita Police Department.

White, 40, of Salina, had spent the weekend in Wichita after she was invited to spend Christmas at the house where her 73-year-old father and her 68-year-old mother were raising her children.

Police said the altercation happened after White returned to the home Tuesday. Armed with scissors, White threatened to kill her father, who had only a cane to defend himself, police said.

When the argument moved into the front yard, Landen said the teen's grandfather tripped over a planter.

As his mother moved toward her fallen dad with the scissors, police said, the teenager stepped onto the front porch and aimed, striking his mother in the heart.

After throwing the scissors at her son, White took off in a car, police said. Authorities think the wound caused her to lose control of her car. She died at a hospital after undergoing emergency surgery after the crash.

White, who has been in and out of prison during the past 16 years, has convictions for drug offenses, prostitution, writing bad checks and making threats, according to state records.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Let's hope the poor brave kid can get sufficient counseling to enable him to get on with a successful life. Man, talk about starting with a disadvantage.

Lets hope the counseling is done by somebody that doesn't have a private or ideological agenda to push such as "see how bad a pellet gun can be. You killed your mom with it. Just think how much worse real guns are and who might get killed with them". I have seen a similar incident played out.

Yes it was his mother but she was a dirt bag. He took appropriate action to save the life of the loving grandparent that was taking care of him while mom was off in prison. Just because she was a mom doesn't mean she was worthy of repsect or consideration. She was no better than a thug that walks in off the street. Giving birth only means that the body was capable of reproducing.

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly main thing we all think probably - is - that the kid will survive the psycho trauma.

It will probably take time and a lot of help.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    This gives me a whole new respect for pellet guns!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

that is why all pellet guns have disclaimer, "not a toy".
    Just wait the anti's are sure to jump on this to outlaw pellet guns.

I am fairly confident that the kid will be fine. Seems like his grandparents raised him alone anyway, and quite nicely on top of that, because he did the right thing at the right time.

The only counseling he needs is from his grandparents, not hordes of school psychologists and social services "experts".
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    ... and the libs will lose sight of the fact that a repeat offender was in the act of a forcible felony when the boy stepped up. The pellet gun will be the evil cause of the poor, misguided woman's death.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

i feel sorry for the Kid

Administrator

Thanks Betty

I had to read that story twice in order to fully digest it.
    That is a heck of a thing for such a young kid to need to do.

The "Mom" me thinks was a real loser pawning her kids off like that.
    Very Sad Story. No happy ending to this tale.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sounds like this kid doesn't need counselling, sounds like he realized who really loved him and who had just given birth to him. My children are in a similar situation with and "invisible mother". This kid had the sense to realize if his mom killed his grandparents he was going to be stuck with her or in foster care. At least the grandparents taught him to defend his loved ones, and he had the strength to do it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Being that I am a professional counselor I also hope that the child gets counseling. However, the child may have already been separated from the mom for reasons not mentioned. Thus, these could be physical, sexual, or mental abuse. Therefore, eventhough it was easy for the child to pull the trigger being that the mom was already nonexistent in his life, the grandmother and father should seek immediate counseling.

The result of the child not getting trained counsel could result in oppositionally defiant behavior where he has problems with adults and authority figures ie cops, principals etc, PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to the violent episode that he seen. Nevertheless, the counseling is vital because the event when coupled with other issues in his environement will and can cause problems in his social and school life. This is very sad and can lead to greater problems in the future for the child.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Just in case... my post was not meant to be derisive towards counselors. My apologies to BlueLion and mrshonts if it came across that way.

cjm5784 expressed quite eloquently what I was actually trying to say.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Cool

No Ibex, no problem man. I just thought I would share my knowledge. I am unsure if we have any other counselors on the board.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links