Bad: Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall (Hadley, MA)

This is a discussion on Bad: Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall (Hadley, MA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by my local paper today: Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall By THE DAILY HAMPSHIRE GAZETTE Staff Writer Monday, ...

Thread: Bad: Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall (Hadley, MA)

Bad: Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall (Hadley, MA)

As reported by my local paper today:

Four men allegedly rob couple at gunpoint at Hampshire Mall

By THE DAILY HAMPSHIRE GAZETTE
    Staff Writer

Monday, October 27, 2008

HADLEY - Police are investigating an armed robbery reported in the Hampshire Mall parking lot Saturday at 12:50 a.m. in which four suspects allegedly stole cash and jewelry from the victim. Police said a man and woman were returning to their vehicle parked on the south side of the mall between Cinemark theaters and the JC Penney store when four men approached them. After threatening the couple and telling the woman to leave the scene, one of the men held a knife up to the male victim while another showed him a hand gun, police said. They then took an undisclosed amount of cash and jewelry.

The four men were last seen running toward the PVTA bus stop on the west side of JC Penney.

Anyone who may have seen the incident and can provide more information is asked to call police at 584-0883.

The story can be found at; http://www.gazettenet.com/story/208517

Personal Note:
    This story is different than any other I've ever noted because literally that victim might could have been me, or me witness toward as much.
    Saturday night I had planned to go see 'W'. I go to the movies almost every weekend, and 99% of the time it's to the Hadley 'Hampshire Mall' theater. I've been going there for 15 years since before I moved here the first time.
    The area where they describe the event unfolding is exactly where I park roughly 90% of the time. I park on the opposite side behind Joanna's Crafts if parking on the JC Penney side is full.
    I was planning to see W at the 10:35P showing which would have let me out at nearly exactly this incidents time. The only reason I was not there is because with my dinner prior I'd had three glasses of wine, as opposed to my norm of one or two.
    Around 10P I'd put my shoes on and was headed out the door when I assessed myself as being unfit to drive. I was not by any means drunk nor was I even to my own judgment under the influence, per se. But I have a very light tolerance now and I was thinking as I walked to t he door that I might be buzzing just a little bit but I wasn't 100% sure. With that doubt I decided while standing at my door keys in hand to not go out and stay home to play XBox. I turned around, closed and relocked my side door, took off my boots and placed them back in the closet, hung my jacket up, and went to my office to play COD: World at War. I figured I'd catch 'W" this coming weekend or maybe via NetFlix.
    Then tonight while reading the paper along with and to my daughter I noticed this story on the back page of the A section. It made me feel weird, like with the heebie jeebies. :|
    Thank God for wine and low tolerances. But hey, nothing ever happens in...
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

4 men escaped justice due to one extra glass of wine.

Glad you didn't go. Lawyer fees would have been expensive.

On second thought, maybe they wouldn't have selected you. You would have spotted them coming, and my guess is you don't carry yourself like a sheep. But if they had selected you, it might have gotten messy.

Glad you are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    4 men escaped justice due to one extra glass of wine.

Glad you didn't go. Lawyer fees would have been expensive.

On second thought, maybe they wouldn't have selected you. You would have spotted them coming, and my guess is you don't carry yourself like a sheep. But if they had selected you, it might have gotten messy.

Glad you are safe.
    +1! Hear Hear!

Heck, if Janq had kept it to just one glass and then went the the 'picture show', those four would've reconizeda sheep-dog and just found another area to 'hunt' altogether, leaving the targeted couple alone.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Damn, we missed out on one assume post if you had gone, glad you didn't. It's always interesting how simple decisions can play out to live or death situations like its been scripted. Now about your choice of movies...............?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Two thumbs up to you for knowing that there might be any hint of impairment if you were to drive. Not many would admit to that...shows a good level of maturity and self-assessment that will continue to serve you well. Glad you didn't have to get "involved" at the theater!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Sejune,

When I was 20 I was hit (in a car) by a mother driving drunk and speeding on surface roads to get to her childs school to pick her up as she was late. The lady was 'blind' drunk and reported never seeing me nor the line of cars I was in sitting at a red light at the bottom of a steep hill leading to a major four way intersection.
    The car I was in was completely destroyed as her much heavier and larger car jammed mine between hers and the car in line in front of me also waiting on the light to change.
    As a result of that drunk driver I spent ~20 mos. recuperating enduring pain, pain meds, and very much physically painful physical therapy. I recovered, but I lost my up to then life long dream of becoming a runner as a career. My right leg and lower back were wrenched and badly damaged along with much of the rest of my upper body and neck.
    To this day, 18 yrs.later, I have a hitch in my walk when observed from the rear that just won't go away and though I'm still fast for an average man of my age I can't run distance anymore without suffering lumbar discomfort.
    I am for these first hand personal reasons all kinds of against drunken driving, and I apply my rules not just to others but to myself too.

At my door I figured to myself if I am even thinking that I might be a bit off then possibly I may be further off than I am realizing. Also I figured if by chance something were to occur, I would not be able to forgive myself nor look my kids in the face...all over trying to see some stupid movie that likely would be stupid. Not worth the risk I figured and I turned around.

When I saw this item in the paper I thought to myself OMG!
    Shivers...

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess this could happen to anyone, of course. When we go out during the evening (or any other time) I always cruise the lot before taking a spot...I want to see who is around.
    When I (or the wife and I) exit the vehicle, my head is on a swivel for just this reason. If aproached by others, my first move is to cut between vehicle isles and see who follows. If followed, my plan is to become very ugly...I don't really have a kind face anyway.

I have been approached in lots by 'panhandlers' before...I DO NOT let them get close. I'm loud, rude, and direct...unless it's some nun with orphan children who is approaching (and I'm still raising eyebrows)...I trust no one.

Don't try and corner a grumpy old man in a dark parking lot...I'm too old to struggle with a threat, I'll just defuse it...I do carry those special 'defusing tablets' proven to be extremely effective with dirtbags.

Stay armed...deliver two defusing tablets, allow a few moments for the full effect...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links