Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside

This is a discussion on Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside | Firstcoastnews.com | Local News " JACKSONVILLE, FL -- For the 24th time this year, a chief at ...

Thread: Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside

Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside

Burglary Suspect Shot by Police on Westside | Firstcoastnews.com | Local News

"JACKSONVILLE, FL -- For the 24th time this year, a chief at the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office had to talk about one of his officers firing on a suspect.

This shooting happened when police responded to a burglary in progress at a rental home on Owen Avenue, a few blocks east of I-10 and McDuff.

Rumors about what happened inside the police tape were running rampant in the neighborhood. One mother approached police, worried it might be her son who was shot.

People in the crowd started complaining, saying police are too quick to use their guns.
    Chief Rick Graham answered their concerns, saying his officers must act case by case, and they have to act appropriately in the situation they are given..........."

I just saw this on the evening news. What caught my attention more than a criminal getting caught in the act of burglarizing a house, or even that it was another LEO involved shooting.......it was during the video segment that a "concerned mother approached police, worried it might be her 15 year old son who was shot." WHAT?!?
    Where is your son and WHY don't you know what's going on in his life?!?

This is just one example of why crime is getting worse everywhere IMO.

Then there's the "ya'll too quick to use yo guns" comment
    I can't stand in judgement of the officers reasoning in employing his sidearm, nor will I question it without all the facts....but I'm of the opinion that if you get shot by a cop while commiting a crime....too bad. Be a good boy and it'll reduce your exposure
    to lead poisoning.

But I'd like to ask our LEO members here a brace of questions:
    1. Has your department had to answer questions of officer/department use of force at some point in your career......and if so, how was it handled?
    2. This is a more silly question.......when investigating anything remotly like this (i.e. ANY shooting/stabing/death) has a family member come up and asked if it was "my baby"?

I'm just half ranting, half amazed that some momma had to do that to make sure her 'baby' was OK.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

People in the crowd started complaining, saying police are too quick to use their guns.
    Umm, one can help avoid being on the wrong end of a policeman's gun if one is not involved in a burglary in progress.

I guess the crowd couldn't figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Umm, one can help avoid being on the wrong end of a policeman's gun if one is not involved in a burglary in progress.

I guess the crowd couldn't figure that out.
    Grady, now wait.

Wouldn't that require, like, umm, logic?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sad thing is, these days, the mother probably told her son to go out and steal some stuff or knew exactly what he was up to.

VIP Member
    Yeah, right. Don't pull your weapon and shoot until after you've been shot. Makes perfect sense to me, if your the BG or his family!

One mother approached police, worried it might be her son who was shot.
    "I'm not sure if is your son ma'am. Did he have a 1" hole in his chest the last time you saw him?" Maybe, just maybe, if you paid attention to what he's doing and who he's hanging with you wouldn't have to ask that question.

Maybe the solution to the problem is take neighborhoods like that and fence them off. Electrify the fence and just forget they are even there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I know that area of town, and believe me that most people applaud the cops. But those people have a job and have to go to work. They can't hang around to deliver quotes to the press.

Police involved shootings are up quite a bit this year in Jacksonville. I have a feeling that the cops are just sick of being targets. There have also been officers hurt in savage shootings (in one case, the perp came back to give off some more shots at an officer on the ground... luckily, the officers was able to end that scums live).

Its the crack-kid generation growing up. Too many times the BG is a 14 or 15 year old. The mothers are not conscious enough to see what's going on.
    Last edited by PaulJ; October 28th, 2008 at 04:22 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

The parents seem to find the "shot" child quickly. If they are aware of where they are, then why do they allow them to commit crimes. If you ask me, the parents may be contributing to the child being shot by allowing this behavior to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Grady, now wait.

Wouldn't that require, like, umm, logic?
    Yeh, my bad. Seems like logic is often in short supply, especially when people start mouthing off once they get the crowd mentality.

It all boils down to my agreement with T. Nugent's statement..."I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."
    'Nuff said...'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links