Almost grabbed the pistol!

This is a discussion on Almost grabbed the pistol! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The other day pulling into the garage after work, 4:30 am, I notice in the rear view mirror, a vehicle driving very slowly perpendicular and ...

Thread: Almost grabbed the pistol!

Almost grabbed the pistol!

The other day pulling into the garage after work, 4:30 am, I notice in the rear view mirror, a vehicle driving very slowly perpendicular and on the wrong side of the road.
    I reach for the glove box, check the mirror again, nothing, they're gone.
    Then I walk out and notice in the drive way, the morning newspaper!
    Thinking I'm most vulnerable between car and house in the dark, someone has cased the place, etc. well, turns out my neighborhood isn't that bad.
    As someone has in their sig, keep alert.
    Thought I'd share.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    You can never be too cautious. I'm glad nothing happened though!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I had a deal like that this morning. I have a BNI meeting every Tuesday on the 2nd floor of a bank. I was walking in this morning when a car whipped into the driveway and made a sharp 180 degree turn to point back the way it came in and came to a sudden stop. I stopped walking in that direction. The pass. window of the car came down and something was thrown out and hit the ground right in front of the doors of the bank that landed with a THUMP.
    I started backing up when the bank manager opened the door....to retrieve his newspaper.

I went to my meeting ALMOST feeling foolish...
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Before I exit the house in the morning or evening, I always go through the garage which lights up the entire driveway all around the vehicles. Ahead of me is the family pooch...a 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback. He's got the 'tatics' down pat...he loves to check out the front yard and goes around the perimeter of the entire front yard and around the driveway. No one could be around without being detected...and warned!
    When the area is cleared, he comes back into the house, and I prepare to leave.
    When we have dirtbag (potential) driving around the area, I (and some others) show concern, watch, walk down to the street and look at the car, etc. We don't let those who could be casing the area go unnoticed.

Stay armed...be very watchful...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    You can never be too cautious. You're right.I'm glad nothing happened though!
    Thanks, I certainly was relieved to find what I did.

I'm not sure if I could spot a "caser", but I live in a working class neighborhood, so I'm thinking there is little chance of professional thieves checking the place out, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    I'm not sure if I could spot a "caser", but I live in a working class neighborhood, so I'm thinking there is little chance of professional thieves checking the place out, but you never know.
    No, you never do.

And if it was me as a a thief, I think I might prefer working class neighborhoods. I'd wager there's fewer household alarms, for one, and I bet there's still a flood of very hockable stuff in every house. TV's, computers, stereos, etc.

Again, if I was a criminal type, I'd prefer the quick, easy, and consistent scores than the high-risk big jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    a car whipped into the driveway and made a sharp 180 degree turn to point back the way it came in and came to a sudden stop. I stopped walking in that direction. The pass. window of the car came down and something was thrown out and hit the ground right in front of the doors of the bank that landed with a THUMP.
    At least you didn't yell, "Get Down."

Links