Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating - Page 2

Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating

This is a discussion on Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Convicted felon with a firearm commits a murder. Hope he has a speedy, fair trial, followed by a speedy trip to the execution chamber. Matt...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating

Senior Moderator
    Convicted felon with a firearm commits a murder.

Hope he has a speedy, fair trial, followed by a speedy trip to the execution chamber.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Convicted felon with a firearm commits a murder.

Hope he has a speedy, fair trial, followed by a speedy trip to the execution chamber.

Matt
    That won't happen in SC.

SO he looked out the door, saw small 'masked' people and a 30+ y/o male and opened fire through a door?

Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I tell you this and the other idiots doing moronic things with guns, including the CT dad who's 8yr. old was killed by the Uzi he authorized to be given to him, are doing us all absolutely no favors.
    After inauguration day and when Congress comes back in session there will be hell to pay, and the Democrats will be working as the toll takers.
    Yep. These incidents will be revisited on the floors of the House and Senate as evidence of the need for a ban.

The shooter was twisted. Plus, an ex-con in possession of a gun? Yeh, more laws would have prevented this one.

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Janq and Grady, theres going to be hell to pay when congress reconvenes. There will be a new push for an AWB, the fact that this killing was done by a convicted felon who could not legally own a weapon will make no difference to them.
    Last edited by archer51; November 1st, 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Because we ALL know that if an AWB went into effect before this happened, this guy would have left his drug house and went immediately and DIRECTLY to the police station and turned in his AK no questions asked... when will they get it.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

SC man who shot trick-or-treater to death was convicted felon afraid of being robbed

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Police: Shooter Feared Trick-or-Treater Was Robber
    Police: SC man who shot trick-or-treater to death was convicted felon afraid of being robbed

By MEG KINNARD Associated Press Writer
    SUMTER, S.C. November 1, 2008 (AP)

This undated photo provided by the Sumter, (S.C.) Police Dept. shows T.J. Darrisaw. T.J. Darrisaw a 12-year-old trick-or-treater was killed when Quentin Patrick, a convicted felon fearing a robbery fired nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside a house. (AP Photo/Sumter Police Department) (AP)

An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.

Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.

The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.

Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.

Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.

"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.

She said T.J., a bright young man, suffered multiple wounds, including a fatal shot to his head. No one answered the door at the family's home Saturday.

"This is by far one of the worst tragedies that I have had to personally experience," Patterson said. "It happened basically because kids were out doing what they would normally do on Halloween."

Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.

Police said they also charged a 19-year-old in his home, Ericka Patrice Pee, with obstruction of justice when she was caught trying to run away after the shooting with $7,500 in cash. Patterson did not give an explanation for the money.

Pee's 2-year-old daughter was inside during the shooting and is now being cared for by family members.

Patterson said Patrick had multiple drug convictions but police do not believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the shooting. Authorities did not know if Patrick or Pee had attorneys. Both are being held without bond.

Bullet holes from an assault rifle fired by Quentin Patrick, show through the wall of his home, at Saturday, Nov. 1, 2008 in Sumter S.C. (AP Photo/Brett Flashnick)
    (AP)

A man who identified himself as Patrick's brother but declined to give his name said in a call to The Associated Press that he believed Patrick was suffering from post-traumatic stress after a break-in last December. The man's account matched the information police provided.

"We want to let his family know that this is a total tragic accident," he said. "He was trying to protect his family."

Patrick's home is off a busy, two-lane road in Sumter, a city of about 40,000 people. On Saturday, shattered glass still covered the front stoop and about 20 bullet holes peppered the front door and a front-window casement. A firefighter used a hose to wash bloodstains away.

The shooting shocked residents of a neighborhood where most people know each other well.

"I just hate it that that little kid got killed. It used to be the quietest place. I knew everybody and everybody knew me," said Vivian Johnson, 81, who lives two doors from Patrick and Pee but said she did not know them.

County Councilman Charles Edens said he lives just a few blocks away and passed the crime scene on his way back from trick-or-treating with his 13-year-old daughter, who was upset by the news.

"It's going to put a dampening on Halloween," Eden said. "I would think twice about going to a door that we don't know who lives behind."

Associated Press Writer Katrina A. Goggins in Columbia contributed to this report.

The story can be found at; ABC News: Police: Shooter Feared Trick-or-Treater Was Robber

- Janq

Note:
    NO...This was NOT a "accident".
    That term is so misused and over used in regard to firearm incidents.
    You do not pull the trigger on a semi-automatic rifle THIRTY times by accident. Never mind shooting through your door, wall, and window...by accident.
    And as to protecting his family. That too is bull.
    First of all every felon knows they get caught even holding a picture of a firearm and that is an automatic violation with immediate back to prison results. Even if they are no longer on parole. This is well known fact. You cannot protect and look out for your family by being in prison, again. Get a dog dummy! Hell get two dogs, with one reserved with the family in the back of the house for backup.
    Oh, and again an AK47 is NOT a sensible nor appropriate firearm for 99.9% of persons to be using toward home defense. Aside from living in a desert with no one else around for miles in a 360 degree range, the 7.62x39 is by any means an appropriate home defense round. It just is not and for obvious no brainer reasons.

As I stated in that thread toward the 8 yr. old who shot himself with an Uzi, instances like this where idiots, the ignorant, and knuckledraggers are doing more to harm us and our position than that of the Brady Campaign. Hell all the Brady's have to do is sit back and let us ruin ourselves with these idiotic actions and so called "accidents" showing our extremely poor judgment.
    Oh and if the guys brother knew that dude had a firearm in his home then he is complicitous and holds some of the blame toward this boys death, right along with the 19 yr.old girl who attempted to flee and no doubt knew dude had as much in the home where she kept her baby.
    Jeebus. It ain't hard to act right. Just do so, for all our sakes and that of our kids and their own future ability to purchase, posses, and without being outlaws as a result of UK style abolishment use firearms for lawful and legal purposes.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds to me like this guy got ripped off when he was dealing drugs,he's still dealing drugs 6 months later which would explain $7500.00 and thought BG's were back to rob him again,not to mention it's halloween.So convicted felon should not of had a gun in the first place fires 30 rounds through a door upon somebody knocking upon same.I hope they go for first degree murder and then the death penalty.Send a message to felons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm with Janq on this...as tragic as this was...the long term/big picture damage will be feeding the AWB march.

Rick

"Arming one's self to the teeth with an Alamo mentality has the potential to end in a bad way. One must be extra careful..."

Sorry, but this is not going to be an isolated case and yes it is going to encroach on our right to have weapons in our homes. Follow this an the other gun forums. There are a lot of the "Alamo mentality" people among our own posters. I read every day about the "better tried by twelve than carried by six" and "Castle doctrine means you can waste the ******* at the door" group with a super weapon in every room of the house. I have said many times, and it has been implied that I have been a wuss for saying it, that you have to make a plan that lets you make sure that you have a SD situation. Hardening of the perimeter: double locks, video, mirrors, bright lights, alarm systems, dogs, etc. slow down a determined threat and allow time to make a decision. You can't kill anybody that comes onto your porch or to your door , just because your state has a "Castle Doctrine." Through mirrors and a video cam I can identify anybody at my door. If friendly, they'll be greeted warmly. If a possible threat, they have several layers of defense to go through before I have to use the one gun I have out in the house (and it sure as heck won't be a semiautomatic, military type long rifle.).

That said, this idiot was one trigger happy thug and a child died because of it. From past experience with his type, I doubt he has any remorse and accepts none of the blame.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

What a friggin idiot & mental case ... I hope they fry him.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    You can't kill anybody that comes onto your porch or to your door , just because your state has a "Castle Doctrine."
    The trick-or-treaters didn't break into the house, they just knocked! The whole point of the castle doctrine is to protect you in the case of forced entry.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    The trick-or-treaters didn't break into the house, they just knocked! The whole point of the castle doctrine is to protect you in the case of forced entry.
    If you read the post, that was my point. "Castle Doctrine" basically removes the need to prove intent for violence from a break-in. It doesn't mean you can just open fire because they are "at" the door. I have read several posters on forums where the poster has bragged that " a magazine full coming through the door will settle the problem" Once the door comes down/window is smashed in, and they enter the house you are pretty well in your rights to take action.You can't fire because you "suspect" there is going to be a break-in and violence. Per-emptory strikes are not included in state SD laws! Again the gun is the last resort when they have already entered the house from a break in. If you are really afraid of somebody on your porch, the door should already be locked and a 911 call is in order before even considering use of a weapon.

This person in this case fired without even checking and evaluating a threat. It was just people and he fired indiscriminitely.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

In the picture it actually looked like he was firing at the bottom half of the door (at the height of kids). I still am not convinced that he was not using some mind-altering substance at the time.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Just a question: Everyone seems to assume that ex-convict means felon. Has anyone seen anything that said his prior drug convictions were felonies?

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Just a question: Everyone seems to assume that ex-convict means felon. Has anyone seen anything that said his prior drug convictions were felonies?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwfd1613 View Post
    The Item

A 12-year-old boy who was killed Friday night while trick-or-treating with his family on South Wise Drive was shot by a 22-year-old convicted felon with an AK-47 who fired in excess of 29 shots, said Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson on Saturday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links