Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating

This is a discussion on Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating, police say - CNN.com SUMTER, South Carolina (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy trick-or-treating with his family in central South Carolina was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating

Very Bad: Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating

Boy fatally shot trick-or-treating, police say - CNN.com

SUMTER, South Carolina (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy trick-or-treating with his family in central South Carolina was shot from inside a home Friday and killed, and his father and brother were wounded by the gunfire, authorities said.

The shooting suspect, Quentin Patrick, was in custody, a jail official said. Patrick, 22, has been charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill. The jail official said she didn't know whether Patrick had an attorney and his telephone number was unpublished.

The family was headed home from a city-sponsored event downtown when they decided to stop at a few homes, Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said. The father and his four children approached a home with a porch light on about 8:30 p.m. EDT while their mother waited nearby in a vehicle.

As the family was at the door, they thought they heard fireworks. The 12-year-old boy, his father and brother were all hit by the gunfire. The boy died at a hospital, Coroner Verna Moore said. The other two children were not hurt.

The boy's father and brother were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Authorities have not released the identity of the family.

Patterson also would not release any more details about the shooting.

"The investigation is continuing into what has been a very tragic evening," Patterson said. "Our sorrow and sympathy goes out to this family."

The police chief said there were other people inside the home at the time of the shooting, but she didn't expect any of them to be charged.

A neighbor said he heard a loud noise about the time of the shooting and thought it was simply Halloween mischief.

"I thought, trick-or-treat night -- pranks go down. Anything goes," said Lenwood Dixon, 49, who works at a hazardous waste and recycling company. "I heard a noise like maybe gunfire, then my daughter saw a bunch of lights flashing and saw some cops."

In his six years in the neighborhood, he said he wasn't aware of any violent crimes. He said a few trick-or-treaters had been on his block that night.

"I'm surprised. Since I was here, I'd never heard of anything like that happening. It's a quiet neighborhood," he said. "You don't see many children in the neighborhood. It's more elderly."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

This story is incomplete...what really happened?
    What reason was there for the shooting...were words exchanged...pranks involved?
    Sounds like an angry 22 year old with a gun just snapped.
    Even a parent with a CCW probably would not have been able to stop this sad shooting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So very sad and senseless. There is no justification for this kind of shooting.

VIP Member
    I agree with RS, want to know what set this guy off. From the way the story reads the guy shot through the door, without even opening it. If that is what happened a CHP wouldn't have made a difference for the dad. Have a feeling his next few Halloweens will be spent behind steel bars.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This story is so confusing, he shot through the door? Other people were inside and let the guy walk up to the door with a gun and shoot? I mean Im kinda confused..

Really sad :(

This just sucks on all fronts. Not a complete story, doubt we will ever get the whole thing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I live about 20 mins from where this happened. No real details that I know of yet. I did hear that there were several gang related crimes in the surounding areas last night. Just another reason the XD was tucked closely on my side while taking the family t or t last night

Another drop in the Brady bucket. :(

Geebus.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by pwfd1613 View Post
    I live about 20 mins from where this happened. No real details that I know of yet. I did hear that there were several gang related crimes in the surounding areas last night. Just another reason the XD was tucked closely on my side while taking the family t or t last night

+1 Had my G22 on my hip as I took my four plus the nieghbors four out house to house.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

The Item

A 12-year-old boy who was killed Friday night while trick-or-treating with his family on South Wise Drive was shot by a 22-year-old convicted felon with an AK-47 who fired in excess of 29 shots, said Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson on Saturday.

Tony “T.J.” Darrisaw, a Bates Middle School student, was shot several times, with a fatal wound to the head, she said, and pronounced dead at Tuomey Regional Medical Center shortly after 8:30 p.m. His 9-year-old brother Ahmadre and father Freddie Grinnell, who is in his 30s, were also shot, suffering non-life threatening injuries, she said; they are recovering at home.

Quentin Lamar Patrick, who has several drug convictions, has been charged with murder, two counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and faces additional charges. Patterson said his girlfriend, Ericka Patrice Pee, 19, is being charged with obstruction of justice after she tried to leave the home following the shooting with a 2-year-old child and $7,500 in “bundled cash.”

Police seized the AK-47 and also found a 9 mm handgun in Patrick’s home.

Patterson called it an “awful tragedy,” as the family had left Halloween on Main and decided to stop at a few more houses when Patrick apparently opened fire as Darrisaw, two of his brothers and father approached Patrick's home at 215 S. Wise Drive and were shot through the door while standing on the porch, which was lit.

Darrisaw and his brothers were dressed up in “ghoulish” costumes, she said.

Patrick told investigators he’d been shot before and opened fire when he saw people with masks walking up to his house.

It is unknown if Patrick has legal representation, and a bond hearing has not been scheduled.

See Sunday's edition of The Item for a full story.

That's just unbelievably cowardly and disgusting. What a sack.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

PM
    Lets see; drug dealing convictions; $7,500 in bundled cash leaving with GF; worried about short people in masks coming to the house on Oct.31. Do I smell colman fuel and anhydus?

The guys a doper what do you expect!?!

As a Father who was out last night I feel for the Father of the dead kid; and a CCW would have not helped except maybe killing the guy after the first shots but then again the father thought it was fireworks!

~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Police: Shooter feared trick-or-treater was robber - Yahoo! News

An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday....

Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock
    I don't think most robbers knock.

I have a great deal of respect for the members on DC, but a few of the comments in this thread make me wonder: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-invasion.html

Yes, it is excellent to be prepared at all times, and yes, there are extra pranksters out on Halloween, BUT there are a lot of children out and most pranks are fairly harmless. Arming one's self to the teeth with an Alamo mentality has the potential to end in a bad way. One must be extra careful...

And with an AK47 no less.

I tell you this and the other idiots doing moronic things with guns, including the CT dad who's 8yr. old was killed by the Uzi he authorized to be given to him, are doing us all absolutely no favors.
    After inauguration day and when Congress comes back in session there will be hell to pay, and the Democrats will be working as the toll takers.

We are in trouble.
    Thanks fer nuthin!...stupid people with guns.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links