Bad: Man thought it was a joke

This is a discussion on Bad: Man thought it was a joke within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gang of masked guys with baseball bats jumping fence and headed towards you = reasonable fear of death or serious injury This is kinda scary ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad: Man thought it was a joke

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Gang of masked guys with baseball bats jumping fence and headed towards you = reasonable fear of death or serious injury

This is kinda scary for me, though. It makes me not want to go out in my yard unarmed. I have had dreams about this kind of thing, and I always wake up right as I am about to die because I left my gun someplace where I couldn't get to it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

Update: 3 Men arrested
    (I've just been lurking here a few days but this story cuaght my eye so I looked deeper into it and found more news has come out)
    Three Charged in Brian Lanese Attack - News - WSAV.com - Savannah / Hilton Head

Three men are behind bars tonight in connection with the attack of a Bluffton man nearly a month ago. The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday’s arrests came through the help of DNA samples from evidence recovered at the scene, cooperation from Bluffton High School administration, and information given from the Windy Lakes area community.

Here's the breakdown of what happened:

The night before Halloween, 33-year-old Brian Lanese and his friend Jeffery Wooten were attacked while grilling steaks at Lanese's house. Lanese was hit the hardest and has been in the hospital since that night. All along, authorities said the attack was random. After Tuesday’s release from the Sheriff’s Office, it seems Lanese and Wooten interrupted a robbery and that sparked the attack.

Authorities believe three teens approached Lanese's home to rob a shed in the backyard, one acting as a lookout and two going into the shed. But when Lanese and Wooten came outside to check the steaks they were grilling-- the teens started the attack-- two on Lanese and one on Wooten. In the end, nothing was taken during the burglary.

But now the three are in custody, all being charged as adults. They're all charged with 2nd degree burglary and criminal conspiracy. Two also face assault and battery with intent to kill brian lanese. All three are behind bars tonight.

Here’s part of the Sheriff’s Office release regarding the teens’ charges:

Theophilus D. Hamilton (Charged as an adult)
    Date of birth: 8-1-92 (16)
    Address:
    6 Guerrard Ave
    , Bluffton
    Charges:
    • Burglary-2nd Degree
    • Criminal Conspiracy
    • Assault and Battery with Intent to Kill (against Lanese)
    Harry C. Battle (Charged as an adult)
    Date of birth: 8-31-92 (16)
    Address:
    56 Haigler Blvd
    , Bluffton
    Charges:
    • Burglary-2nd Degree
    • Criminal Conspiracy
    • Assault and Battery with Intent to Kill (against Lanese)
    Kuwan A. Fields
    Date of birth: 12-13-89 (18)
    Address:
    27 Kitty Rd
    , Bluffton
    Charges:
    • Burglary-2nd Degree
    • Criminal Conspiracy
    • Simple Assault and Battery (against Wooten)

This news certainly doesn't end this story, though, because Brian Lanese has a long battle ahead.

"Just trying to take it one step at a time to build his ability and his motor and his strength because he's lost so much weight. So, you know, I'm hoping the goal is six months we'll be back kind of to the life that we've loved living,” Tracy Lanese, Brian’s wife, said of his condition Monday.

Brian is set to come home this week, so of course the development brings their family even more reason for thanksgiving.

I wonder if the punks' homes could be sold to help pay the victim's hospital bills? Oh, never mind me, just daydreaming about people being held accountable for their actions.

Welcome, ekillian! Thanks for the update.

You're welcome.

Tragic. Possibly preventable.

"It's a nightmare... he's hanging by a thread onto his life," Smith said. "Why us? What did we do? We're good people."
    It's BECAUSE you're good people, Ms. Smith. You're in the way ... you've got what they want ... you're celebrating peace and family ... you're displaying your level of comfort for all to see ... they don't like it ... they were bored ... they envy you ... they ate bad burritos ... it's Thursday. What does it matter? You were not armed, but they were armed with a callousness and utter lack of humanity beyond the normal dose.

Had one or two family members been armed, this might well have been stopped soon after it started. So, deal with it, by fixing and eliminating that disparity. Beef up your security preparations, acquire defensive arms and suitable training on effective use, and keep your firearms with you at all times (even during backyard BBQ's). Then, go about your lives, being aware that scat can hit the fan anytime, anywhere.

Utterly tragic. Condolences to the family. Glad they have identified and caught the apparent perpetrators. Those three are in for an enlightening experience.

The three people charged, from an article by WTOC 11 in Savannah:

Theophilus Hamilton:

Harry Battle:

Kuwan Fields:

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I wonder if the punks' homes could be sold to help pay the victim's hospital bills? Oh, never mind me, just daydreaming about people being held accountable for their actions.
    That is a good idea. Trouble is, they very likely have zip. Their families might, but those assets would be in the names of the parents, like as not. With adults on their own, I'm all for it. Should be auctioned off to pay for one tithe of the damage they cause.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes, this is good news for the local area, but they will bond out at some point.

DNA at the scene? Hmmm, gonna be hard to create an alibi.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

That’s good work! ekillian
    Just how does one go about following up on a story like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    That’s good work! ekillian
    Just how does one go about following up on a story like that?
    I entered the name of the victim into Google and searched the news section. The went through stories until I saw the newest one.

As the victim's family looked on, a judge Wednesday decided to keep three Bluffton teens suspected in the Oct. 30 attack on Windy Lakes resident Brian Lanese and a friend in jail.

* firearms are tax-free today

Magistrate Mark Fitzgibbons denied bond on the most serious charges facing suspects Theophilus D. Hamilton, 16; Harry C. Battle, 16; and Kuwan A. Fields, 18.

The three will remain in the Beaufort County Detention Center. All three have been charged with criminal conspiracy and burglary as adults. Hamilton and Battle are charged with assault and battery with intent to kill and Fields with simple assault.

Tracy Lanese, the victim's wife, stood twice during the bond hearing to address law enforcement officials.

"My husband suffered traumatic brain injuries," she said. In light of those injuries, doctors have recommended he return home so he'd be surrounded by things that are familiar to him, she said.

Tracy Lanese, who returned home Wednesday for the first time since the attack, said she wants "to return to the house knowing he (her husband) would be safe and our children would be safe."

The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office arrested Hamilton and Battle at Bluffton High School on Tuesday morning. Fields turned himself in at the Sheriff's Office on Hilton Head Island on Tuesday afternoon.

Hamilton, a sophomore, and Battle, a junior, were charged in the attack on 33-year-old Lanese, who suffered critical injuries and was hospitalized for nearly a month in Savannah's Memorial Health University Medical Center.

Fields, who finished the 11th grade at Bluffton High before dropping out, is charged with attacking Lanese's friend, 24-year-old Jeffery Wooten. Wooten suffered minor injuries.

The Sheriff's Office has said the teens allegedly went onto Lanese's property to burglarize his backyard shed. They confronted Lanese and Wooten, who had come outside to flip the steaks they were grilling for a birthday dinner for Lanese's wife.

Cpl. Robin McIntosh of the Sheriff's Office said Wednesday investigators are not looking at other suspects in connection with the attack.

----------------------

Let's see if we can keep them there!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links