Bad: Man thought it was a joke

This is a discussion on Bad: Man thought it was a joke within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BLUFFTON -- Three men who hid their faces behind Halloween masks brutally attacked a greater Bluffton man and his friend as the two grilled steaks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLUFFTON -- Three men who hid their faces behind Halloween masks brutally attacked a greater Bluffton man and his friend as the two grilled steaks in the backyard Thursday night, the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office said Friday. The beatings left one of the victims in a Savannah hospital's intensive care unit in critical condition.

The attack, which occurred at a home in the Windy Lakes neighborhood, appeared to be a random act, said Sheriff's Office Capt. Toby McSwain.

Victim Brian Lanese, 33, was in critical condition late Friday at Savannah Memorial Health University Medical Center.

The second victim, Jeffery Wooten, 24, suffered minor injuries.

The three suspects, who Wooten said wore skeleton versions of the mask from the movie "Scream," remained at large Friday night.

Lanese and his wife, Tracy, were at their home with two visitors -- Tracy's sister, Elizabeth Smith, and her boyfriend, Wooten.

Brian Lanese and Wooten had been grilling steaks in the Laneses' backyard to celebrate Tracy's 34th birthday -- Halloween -- a day early. Tracy and Elizabeth were inside in the kitchen preparing french fries.

The Laneses were celebrating the birthday Thursday night because they planned to take their 2-year-old twin boys, who planned to dress up as firemen, trick-or-treating on Friday.

As Wooten flipped the steaks, Brian Lanese headed toward his shed to get sodas.

That's when the suspects burst from the woods behind the house. It was just after 9 p.m.

THE ATTACK

Two of the attackers went after Lanese.

The third went for Wooten.

At first, Wooten thought it was a joke -- Lanese's neighbors playing a Halloween prank -- and said he began laughing.

He was wrong.

The suspects began beating him and Lanese.

Wooten's laughter turned to panic.

He began screaming for help. Inside, the women couldn't hear him over the sizzling french fries.

Wooten broke free and ran inside.

"He's been attacked," Wooten shouted. "Get some towels."

By then, the attackers had run away.

In the yard, Lanese was on his hands and knees, bleeding heavily from a head wound.

Wooten said the attack lasted no longer than 30 seconds.

The attackers had used their fists and a pellet gun to beat the two, according to a sheriff's office release.

The motive for the attack is unknown, the release said.

Doug Warner, who lives across the street, said he was outside checking his Halloween decorations when he heard Tracy Lanese screaming.

Warner said he thought something might be wrong with the twins, so he ran to the house. There, he found Brian Lanese, both eyes black and swollen, a deep gash in his forehead.

Elizabeth Smith ran to get help from another neighbor who is a paramedic.

Warner, Wooten and a third neighbor had to restrain Lanese, who, despite his injuries, was trying to go after his attackers.

"He didn't realize how bad he was bleeding," Warner said.

Smith described Brian Lanese as quiet and mild-mannered, but in the moments after the attack, he was anything but that, she said.

Doctors later told family and friends that Lanese had been struck on his right frontal lobe, a region of the brain that affects behavior.

"He was not acting like the Brian we know," Smith said. "He was trying to make sense of what happened, but couldn't."

While the others attended to Lanese, Smith went upstairs to the twins' bedroom.

"I turned their lullaby music all the way up so they didn't have to listen to their father scream in agony," she said.

A day after the attack, Halloween porch lights and a giant inflatable pumpkin remained in the yard. All the blinds in the house were closed. The dense woods that lie beyond the toy-strewn backyard were quiet.

THE INVESTIGATION

After the attack, deputies used K-9 dogs to help search the area. The sheriff's office also has assigned extra patrols to the neighborhood.

"It was an unprovoked attack for no apparent reason," McSwain said. "It's kind of unusual. They were in the backyard minding their own business ... then (Lanese) gets assaulted to the point of being in critical condition."

Lanese, a landscape architect, was being kept sedated Friday night, Smith said.

His prognosis is uncertain, she said.

"It's a nightmare... he's hanging by a thread onto his life," Smith said. "Why us? What did we do? We're good people."

Smith said she spent most of the day Friday calling Lanese's friends. She and Tracy Lanese phoned his parents after the attack Thursday. His mother and father drove to Savannah from Cleveland overnight.

Investigators are trying to develop leads, McSwain said.

"We don't have a lot to go on," he said.

They hope to get additional information from Lanese once he is able to talk, he said.

The attack was the second serious incident in the neighborhood within the past month.

About three weeks ago, three masked men carrying pistols broke through the rear door of a home just down the street from the Lanese residence. The men, who were later arrested, demanded a wallet from the 27-year-old man inside the house.

McSwain said officials are investigating whether the two incidents might be related.
    WTH? I'm sorry, but someone jumps across my property line running at me???? Yep, their gonna be met with an XD .45ACP pointed at them, and if they continue, sorry, but they'll have to meet the business side of the .45ACP.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

More and more sad stories. I hope they catch the scum, and prayers to Mr. Lanese and his family.

Does anyone wonder why I have a gun tucked SOB/IWB when I'm around the house and walk out to the grill to toss on some burgers?

A sidearm could have ended the careers of these three dirtbags...permanently...as it hopefully will be, with the right victim.

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 1st, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I agree RS, If I don't have my weapon on me, it is right next to me. My wife used to think I was crazy for carrying al the time, shes finally came around to the fact that I do and always will.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Honest to God i tooled up this morning before going out to rake leaves on my _very_ quiet neighborhood block.
    I honestly thought to myself, for a minute, that I felt silly carrying while raking leaves.

Then tonight after having grilled to make dinner for my family and 2 kids, I stop in here at DC and see this story and the one of the child shot trick or treating.
    Disgusting. Sad. Sobering. :|

Now this man, a husband and father of two, with babies who barely know him will be left to live, if he makes it through, forever a changed man by personality thanks to the actions of three masked ********.
    They have ruined this mans life and that of his family, for nothing at all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've seen post about halloween being the perfect time to commit crimes (like this one) because of the same reason - people think it's a prank.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm left still wondering what the motive was...gang related? 3 guys come out of the woods wearing masks and attack someone minding their own business in their backyard. There has got to be more to the story...

Rick

jfl
    Positively disgusting.

Maybe I show my age, or my memory is not what it used to be, but I feel that these random, senseless attacks are much more frequent today than 30-40 years ago.

I am so happy that my wife finally decided (on her own) to carry when she is in or about the house.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I'm left still wondering what the motive was...gang related? 3 guys come out of the woods wearing masks and attack someone minding their own business in their backyard. There has got to be more to the story...

Rick
    Perhaps, but one thing I have learned in my life is that there are evil people in this world that will harm any of us simply because they can. No other motivation than that.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Perhaps, but one thing I have learned in my life is that there are evil people in this world that will harm any of us simply because they can. No other motivation than that.
    Agreed...but to hide in someone's backyard so they can pounce??? That part I do not buy...

Rick

Agreed...but to hide in someone's backyard so they can pounce??? That part I do not buy...

Rick
    It doesn't specifically say they hid in the backyard, I believe it says they burst from the woods. They might have been laying in wait for whatever reason or simply saw these people as a target of opportunity.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    It doesn't specifically say they hid in the backyard, I believe it says they burst from the woods. They might have been laying in wait for whatever reason or simply saw these people as a target of opportunity.
    Sorry...still don't buy it. Burst from the woods...again, more to the story. Read to many scenarios...such as the one just recent where the daughter and mother are being charged for setting up the dad.

Rick

Sorry...still don't buy it. Burst from the woods...again, more to the story. Read to many scenarios...such as the one just recent where the daughter and mother are being charged for setting up the dad.

Rick
    I agree there could be more to it than what is publically known. I was just pointing out that sometimes the only motivation for violence is that the BGs simply want to hurt or kill someone.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

It could of been gang related but nothing to do with the people.

"Go beat these guys, and if you dont, you arent in the gang" ect. Kinda like Bloods slashing random peoples faces in the streets.

I hope he recovers fully, mentally and physically.

VIP Member
    Just looks like two sheep being eaten to me. Nothing overly nefarious here.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links