Assaulted when he went outside to investigate a noise

This is a discussion on Assaulted when he went outside to investigate a noise within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Cops: Mom, Daughter Hire Hitman to Kill Dad - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News Cops: Mom, Daughter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FOXNews.com - Cops: Mom, Daughter Hire Hitman to Kill Dad - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cops: Mom, Daughter Hire Hitman to Kill Dad
    Saturday, November 01, 2008

MANASSAS, Va. — An 18-year-old Manassas woman has pleaded guilty to arranging with her mother to have her father killed.

Jessenia Blasini pleaded guilty in Prince William County Circuit Court on Thursday to conspiracy to commit capital murder, solicitation to commit capital murder and malicious wounding.

Authorities say she woke her father on May 23, saying she heard noises in the backyard. When he walked outside, police say 20-year-old Thomas Bennett hit him several times on the head with a baseball bat. The victim survived.

Investigators later learned Bennett was dating Blasini and had been hired to kill the man.

Blasini's sentencing is slated for Jan. 22. Her mother, 36-year-old April Blasini, has a trial set for Nov. 25.

Bennett has a Dec. 4 court date.
    Noise in backyard (or so the victim believed).

Homeowner investigates, apparently unarmed.

Attempted murder. Victim survives only because of perp's selection and use of weapon.

Many of you have stated repeatedly that you wouldn't leave the cover of home to investigate a noise outside. This guy's decision to go outside could have cost him his life.

Hopefully this guy will be single soon. Hopefully a few people will be going to jail for this.

Yet _another_ instance showing how ill advised it is to go it alone toward investigating crime or in this case potential crime outside the security of your four difficult to breach walls and locked front, back, and/or side doors.
    Had dude tooled up, turned on all the exterior lights available, and DIALED 911 and leave the detective work to the _detectives_ then he'd have not had his head bashed in. Dude is lucky he survived it but how much brain damage did he incur as a result?

It's not worth it.
    Stay inside if you suspect foul play outside. Tool up if you have any. Turn on the lights if they aren't already on. And dial 911 leaving the cop work to the cops.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If I found out that my daughter and wife plotted to kill me, I would just want to roll over and die.

What is wrong with people, I mean holy crap if it is that bad friggin leave.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    When a ship runs aground, the captain can expect to lose his career, even if he wasn't on the bridge at the time. In like manner, this fellow should have done a better job as husband and father: sure, they're guilty for anything they did, but he's at fault for the failure of the family. He may not have been qualified to be 'head of the household', and may have had a rough set of circumstances, but that's the job he took on. My heart goes out to the guy...

I certainly support the comments above on lessons to be learned. But another lesson from this incident is that we need to ensure that we still have a family to protect! May God grant all of us who are husbands and fathers the grace we need do our jobs well.

Note: part of doing the job well is saving enough money so we can go and buy a new gun once in awhile for the wife and daughter, and for us, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    When a ship runs aground, the captain can expect to lose his career, even if he wasn't on the bridge at the time. In like manner, this fellow should have done a better job as husband and father: sure, they're guilty for anything they did, but he's at fault for the failure of the family. He may not have been qualified to be 'head of the household', and may have had a rough set of circumstances, but that's the job he took on. My heart goes out to the guy...

I certainly support the comments above on lessons to be learned. But another lesson from this incident is that we need to ensure that we still have a family to protect! May God grant all of us who are husbands and fathers the grace we need do our jobs well.

Note: part of doing the job well is saving enough money so we can go and buy a new gun once in awhile for the wife and daughter, and for us, too!
    Two points here...
    He may well indeed been a great husband and father, you don't know any differently. Wives and daughters certainly have wills of their own...could have been greeedy, lustful, two-faced, selfish individuals, even after having a loving husband/father. It may have had nothing to do with his treatment of either.
    Additionally, probably a good thing that he didn't provide either of these two with a gun...

Just another point of view...OMO.

Stay armed...don't go outside to investigate...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, or maybe his wife and daughter were just scum sucking azzholes!

I wonder how big the life insurance policy they probably took out on him was
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't barge outside, but I will go outside... once I've done a little checking and I don't exit the door until I"m well prepared for anything.

One of my son's friends found out about that. He , as a joke, decided to bang around on my door late one night. I checked, didn't see anything, finally decided to go outside. There is a short brick wall right there that he was hiding behind. He jumped up to "scare me" . He found himself looking down the barrel of a cocked .357 and my finger on the trigger that was in his face.

If you want to talk scared, I think he had to go home and change his pants. I told him..... you are lucky I had the background I did and hesitated that 1-2 seconds to positively identify before pulling the trigger.

VIP Member
    Another example as to why you should stay armed, stay inside and call 911. Of course I'm sure if they wanted to get rid of him that bad, they would have found another way if the first failed and they got the chance.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yet _another_ instance showing how ill advised it is to go it alone toward investigating crime or in this case potential crime outside the security of your four difficult to breach walls and locked front, back, and/or side doors.
    Had dude tooled up, turned on all the exterior lights available, and DIALED 911 and leave the detective work to the _detectives_ then he'd have not had his head bashed in. Dude is lucky he survived it but how much brain damage did he incur as a result?

It's not worth it.
    Stay inside if you suspect foul play outside. Tool up if you have any. Turn on the lights if they aren't already on. And dial 911 leaving the cop work to the cops.

- Janq

My thoughts exactly !!!

And I will not make a judgment on what kind of father/husband he was on the info I read here. Drugs can do incredible things to people's mind. That the daughter was dating the "batman" doesn't speak to well of her.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    If I found out that my daughter and wife plotted to kill me, I would just want to roll over and die.

What is wrong with people, I mean holy crap if it is that bad friggin leave.
    Right there with you man!

My wife and daughter are my treasures in this world.

I agree with others that we don't know the facts but GEEEEEEZE!!!!

What kind of low lifes are these people????
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

1. If you hear a noise outside turn on the lights.
    2. If you see something, call the cops.
    3. If you don't see anything, no reason to go outside.
    4. If there is someone outside and I didn't see them, no worries because we are inside and they are not. All my outside stuff is secure and the alarm is on...
    5. If the door opens they will be shot.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wonder how big the life insurance policy they probably took out on him was
    That was my thought.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I'm with Janq on this one. Unless we are talking about a relatively recent addition as in stepdaughter, this man has failed miserably as a husband and father. If I'm being an a$$, my wife will call me on it (because I am willing to hear it).

Bear in mind that my view is the result of Christian Covenantal Theology so you can label me a religious fanatic and move on with the thread.

When I hear noises outside (and I have in the past) I usually let my GSD out and tell her to "find 'em". If she comes back to the door, then there isn't anything to be concerned about. Usually, it's some sort of animal (stray cat, raccoon, possum etc) and she doesn't pay them much attention. But when a stranger is around, she let's me know about it and does an awesome job if keeping them busy until I can react. Aside form delivery people, I have only had one instance of a person (on foot) on my property without my prior knowledge. The dog was alerted to it before I was. Her ears were sticking straight up, along with the hairs on her back, and she was pacing back and forth at the front door, So I let her out the back door.

Didn't take her long to find out *** was up, and she kept the stranger hemmed up next to the dogwood tree in my front yard until I made my way outside to see *** they wanted. It turned out to be my neighbor, looking to purchase my house. Wasn't interested in selling, and he hasn't been back since. The worried look on his face when I came out was priceless though. I was indeed armed, and he was more happy to see me and my .45 than he was to see a 94lb GSD daring him to move.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links