Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Broken Arrow is major thoroughfare for truckers, travelers, all types of people. I would hope every home in that area would keep that in mind....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times

Broken Arrow is major thoroughfare for truckers, travelers, all types of people. I would hope every home in that area would keep that in mind.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Interesting how the focus is on the homeowner shooting the intruder several times, instead of the burglar simply being stopped before he could complete his felonious intentions. Subtle placement of doubt on the righteousness of the situation.
    "Intruder receives multiple gunshot wounds as he breaks into man's home."

Yep, the same facts stated differently can change the perception. This is what the Media does for a living; it's what I call "subtle propaganda." Also commonly referred to as "Manipulation of the Facts." It's why I generally despise the MSM; they rarely miss a chance to promote their agenda at any price.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

It seams cut and dry to me.
    The 19 year old is breaking into a home that is not his.
    Taking the time to ask him what he intends is not on my plan of action.
    lesson - How to not get shot.
    A. If you lose your key, knock on the door.
    B. If no one is home, wait.
    C. do not get drunk.

if he lives, lesson learned.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    19 years old and already involved in home break-ins.

Time for a career change or an early retirement.
    Seems there is a good chance he might get an opportunity to sit and ponder that career change, courtesy of the county or state...IMHO the bottom line is: if you are in my house, and not supposed to be, then you have invaded my castle and will face the consequences. The risk is too great to not stand ready to defend my castle...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    [He thinks he's breaking into his own house?] I've read that excuse on far too many reports; kind-a goes along with "He was such a Good Boy (tm), loved his Granny, was trying out for the Sports team,..." Chuck Brick.
    Amen.
    I love that; "I thought I was 'breaking into' my own house!"
    Did it look at all familiar after entering?
    Does the house look just like the one next door?
    What's up with this excuse? It just doesn't carry water.

A person clearly 'breaks' into my house and is walking down the hall in the middle of the night, I am not asking to see if 'Johnny-boy' is just too wasted to determine his whereabouts! He is where he is not supposed to be, with obvious (to me) intentions of malice. My family's saftey demands that quick, decisive action be taken to protect them. He is going to get a quick, loud, clear and direct warning as to what I want done: If he does not comply, he has determined the level of force that will be brought to bear against himself.

From the little bit of facts that we have at this time; It does not sound like this homeowner should face any prosecution.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Man,

When did this forum become so bloodthirsty? I remember a few months ago when a 18? year old was throwing beer bottles at an old man as he was walking his dog...then went to his home at 3 a.m. shining his headlights in the old man's house, honking the horn and yelling and beating on the door...and I supported the old man for defending himself. Everyone on here said "he should have hid and called 911!"

Thieves usually don't go out drunk off their ass. It doesn't add up. I don't have all the facts and as I said...I can't say I wouldn't have shot the guy, but it doesn't sound like a good shoot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolvio View Post
    Man,

When did this forum become so bloodthirsty? I remember a few months ago when a 18? year old was throwing beer bottles at an old man as he was walking his dog...then went to his home at 3 a.m. shining his headlights in the old man's house, honking the horn and yelling and beating on the door...and I supported the old man for defending himself. Everyone on here said "he should have hid and called 911!"

Thieves usually don't go out drunk off their ass. It doesn't add up. I don't have all the facts and as I said...I can't say I wouldn't have shot the guy, but it doesn't sound like a good shoot to me.
    bloodthirsty? this is apples and oranges your compairing.
    pounding on the door = outside the home.
    breakin = inside the home.

that is a line you do not cross without lead tossed at you.
    I see nothing bloodthirsty in defending your home.
    I would not go outside for someone pounding on my door. I would have my weapon out (in the home) and call 911.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

If the guy was being aggressive then maybe. Just because some dumbazz drunk teenager is standing in my living room doesn't mean I'm going to shoot him "several" times. I wasn't there so I don't know, but there seems to be a lot of high-fiving and celebrating going on.

ok, then that begs the question, your woke up at X:XX in the morning by the sound of breaking glass. That we do know. the threat is unknown. you DO see someone coming in the window. How do you deside if they are being aggressive or not?
    To me the breaking in is being aggressive enough, what you do in that case?
    you may have a better way that works for you.
    I like my way, I am not willing to risk my family on that chance.

your thoughts?

So a man is entering a home by breaking in... what are we supposed to do, say to them: "excuse me sir, do you have any ill intentions? If so, I may have to draw my weapon and shoot you."

No, not wishing this upon anyone. But this is what frustrates me about these constant debates. If we're not willing to use the guns in the way the laws intend, then don't complain when our rights are violated or they take them away some day!!!

Me... I'm not announcing anything if they're INSIDE the house. I will certainly have the wife on the phone with 911 asap, whether outside or in. But if they come in uninvited, I have no choice but to presume the "ill intent" is there, thus......... bang bang.

If the guy was being aggressive then maybe. Just because some dumbazz drunk teenager is standing in my living room doesn't mean I'm going to shoot him "several" times. I wasn't there so I don't know, but there seems to be a lot of high-fiving and celebrating going on.
    In that situation, I don't think I'd be inclined to ponder (or even care) the age of the intruder (unless he's about 4 ft tall or less ), and it would probably not occur to me to administer a breathalizer test to determine his condition. If anything, drunk = more threat. If he was beating on my door, I'd be about three feet away (other side of the door) with my coach gun, praying the police arrived before he got stupider and entered forcibly - in which case, two loads of buck would be unhesitatingly delivered because he is now inside the house. I'd be praying for the police, because I don't want to shoot him; I would shoot him if he crossed "The Line." That's self defense, not bloodthirsty. Perpetrators are victims only of their own stupidity.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I keep wondering how anyone can be shot "several times" and live. So is everyone out there shooing .25's, with Joyce Foundation Approved Glasers, guaranteed to break up before it penetrates the skin?

I can't imagine anyone taking three of what I'm loading up with and living all the way to the floor on the way down. But, maybe I'd be surprised?

Sounds like a drunken and lost teenager to me.
    So what's the home owner supposed to do? Give the mutt a breathalyzer test? If someone is breaking into my home, I am not going to wait to see if he has a good excuse, is lost, drunk, under the influence of mind altering substance, on a fraternity prank, ad nauseum. I am going to assume he is up to no good and take the necessary action to protect my family, myself and my home. Ohio has the Castle Doctrine. That's not an excuse to blow someone away, but drunkenness or confusion is not an acceptable excuse to break into my home.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Dolvio, you have stumbled on a consensus on this forum (I think it is a good one):

If a BG is outside your house, you do not confront them (because of additional risk of injury, unknown exterior conditions, and legal issues with leaving the safety of your home). The safest course of action is to arm ones-self, gather family, call 911, and stay put.

Once a BG enters your house (ideally through forced entry) the BG becomes an immediate threat.

These situations happen quickly and are very dynamic. The best course of action is to take conservative steps until you identify an immediate threat. Then you take immediate action.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    I can't imagine anyone taking three of what I'm loading up with and living all the way to the floor on the way down. But, maybe I'd be surprised?
    I suspect that most of these people are being shot with FMJ ammo. I have heard that most shootings involve FMJ due to price.

Just my guess.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links