Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times - Page 3

Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nutz4utwo Dolvio, you have stumbled on a consensus on this forum (I think it is a good one): If a BG is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good: Homeowner Shoots Burglar Several Times

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Dolvio, you have stumbled on a consensus on this forum (I think it is a good one):

If a BG is outside your house, you do not confront them (because of additional risk of injury, unknown exterior conditions, and legal issues with leaving the safety of your home). The safest course of action is to arm ones-self, gather family, call 911, and stay put.

Once a BG enters your house (ideally through forced entry) the BG becomes an immediate threat.

These situations happen quickly and are very dynamic. The best course of action is to take conservative steps until you identify an immediate threat. Then you take immediate action.
    Well, in the first case I supported the old man. It was on his property and he had every right to go out and find out what was going on...and he encountered an aggressive punk.

In this situation it never states the drunk teen assaulted the homeowner physically or even verbally.

I think people need to assess the situation before they blindly start emptying mags. May find a fireman or a policeman standing in your house one night.

I wouldn't prosecute the homeowner in any case. I just think maybe he/she could have used a little more restraint before going to the trigger.

I guess when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

KRMG Local News on krmg.com

KRMG Local News
    Home Invasion Investigation in Broken Arrow
    By
    Nicole Burgin
    @ November 3, 2008 1:01 PM Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBacks (0)

New developments in a home invasion and shooting in Broken Arrow. Police say they are not sure why the suspect, Stephen Richardson, broke into the home Saturday night. The 19-year-old was reportedly shot three times by the homeowner. Major Carol Newell says police still have people they want to interview. "The suspect didn't have a vehicle over there so obviously he was dropped off by someone. We want to find out what he was doing prior to this incident to try and piece together a timeline and maybe determine what it was that led him to that residence," says Newell.

The homeowner told police he heard glass breaking and saw the intruder and shot. While some reports quote police as saying the 19-year-old was drunk and thought he was breaking into his own home-- Newell says police are still not sure. "We really don't have a real clear understanding of what he was doing in that particular home and that particular neighborhood. It is nowhere near his residence so that couldn't be it," explains Newell. She adds the investigation is active and the suspect is still hospitalized.

The reporter terms the teen as "the victim"....excuse me !!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I'm still wondering what there is to investigate. It's simple............. BG breaks in someone's home....... homeowner shoots him
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

*IF* it truly was a drunk kid who entered "the wrong house," then that is unfortunate, but I think the homeowner would still be justified in fearing for his life.

Would any of you fault a police officer for shooting someone who had just robbed a store, and was running on foot, then suddenly reached into his wasitband and turned around? But later, we find out he was high on whatever crazy drug he had used and wasn't really pulling a gun, just some drugs he wanted to dump. Well that is unfortunate but it doesn't change things. Then why here? It's the same principle.

I also don't understand why there are so many drunk people walking around. For me, I don't really enjoy getting "drunk," per se, but if I am quite buzzed I will usually chill out somewhere until I'm feeling a bit more like my self and then go out. Just because you're not in a car doesn't mean that going around drunk isn't a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolvio View Post
    Sounds like a drunken and lost teenager to me. I can't say I wouldn't have shot, but doesn't sound so good to me.

Tulsa [B]World: Homeowner opens fire on intruder

anyone that breaks into my home is going to get shot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    The reporter terms the teen as "the victim"....excuse me !!
    it really burns me when they do that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Dolvio, this is one of those cases where if you doubt, you end up six feet under. If you program your mindset to sit down and clinically analyze a fluid situation, it will hurt you or kill you.

We know that Normal people do not break windows to gain access to homes may they be owners, dwellers or friends and family so there is a very substantial chance that a person using that tactic is a felon.

Now, let's walk through this scenario: You are home. You are a law-abiding citizen. You hear glass breaking and an unknown person trying to gain access to your dwelling uninvited. You do not know if the intentions of the intruder are friendly and the probability lies with the scenario that a criminal is the more likely person that tries to gain access to a home that way. You arm yourself and legally confront the intruder with deadly force because, again, you cannot guess or read the intentions and from what has transpired until that moment, criminals use that way to commit their felonies.

That it might be some poor drunken fool that got confused and ended up getting into the wrong house? yes, but it is not the homeowners fault! If you are gonna get drunk and act stupid, you should pay the consequences. Stupid Should Hurt. But the fact that such scenario might happen cannot in any way diminish your mindset for self defense. If so, then you will be the one in a world of hurt.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I wonder how many people hesitated and gave the perp some reasonable doubt about his intentions and then faced the horror of him somehow managing to take you out, rape your wife and daughter, while your laying their bleeding unable to help them while they are screaming for their lives. Why in the world would anyone want to take that chance????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links