GOOD: Homeowner Stops Thieves - Gallia County, OH

This is a discussion on GOOD: Homeowner Stops Thieves - Gallia County, OH within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UPDATE: Homeowner Shoots Break-in Suspect in Head, Deputies Say / Local News, Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage for West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky GALLIA ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

UPDATE: Homeowner Shoots Break-in Suspect in Head, Deputies Say / Local News, Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage for West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky

GALLIA COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ)--Taking the law into your own hands. That's what a local homeowner did when he caught a thief breaking into his storage shed. Armed with his shotgun, one shot was all it took and the burglary came to an abrupt end.

“I woke up and heard the alarm and came out at 3:30 in the morning,” Ivan Hurt said.

Hurt lives alone in rural northern Gallia County. He has a shed full of equipment he values and fiercely protects it. That's why when two men broke into the building early Friday morning, Ivan was ready.

“I saw him come, and he turned like this and he had a flashlight in one hand and something else in the other, so I shot,” Hurt said.

Mr. Hurt wasted no time, he was barely out of his house when he pulled the trigger from more than 30 yards away.

“You see this spray pattern. That’s what happens when you shoot from so far away. I didn’t want to kill anyone, and it still makes me sick that I even had to wound someone. I’ve been robbed before and that’s when I installed an alarm so I could be ready,” Hurt said.

“There are a lot of thefts because people are stealing to get their drugs,” said Gallia County Sheriff David Martin.

Martin said thefts are up nationally and that includes Gallia County. He said residents are tired of it and they're not going to take it anymore.

“The law protects you if you feel there is imminent danger to you or family members,” said Gallia County Prosecutor Jeff Adkins.

And if there's any doubt about what the man was up to, Hurt said he left an incriminating piece of evidence behind.

“This is a mask he was wearing, and you can even see the blood from where he was hit,” said Hurt.

Ronald J. Johnson was the suspect and shooting victim. He was in fair condition Friday evening at St. Mary's Medical Center in Huntington. The second suspect got away. Police are still searching for him. Both men will face charges.

There was no word on whether Hurt will be charged with anything. Prosecutors will decide whether he acted negligently or in self defense.

Original story

GALLIA COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- After catching a suspect breaking into his garage, deputies say a Gallia County man took the law into his own hands.

The Gallia County Sheriff's Department says a homeowner in Raccoon Township, which is in the northern part of Gallia County near Rio Grande, shot a man in the head.

Investigators say the shooting victim is 28-year old Ronald J. Johnson of Vinton in Gallia County. He is listed in fair condtion at St. Mary's Medical Center in Huntington.

Deputies say the homeowner is 63-year-old Ivan Hurt.

According to deputies, around 3 a.m. Friday morning, Hurt heard someone rustling around in his garage, so he grabbed his shotgun and went out to investigate.

After deputies say he shot Johnson, another suspect got away. Sheriff's deputies are still searching for that second man.
    Can't say I like the first line in the original or updated story "taking the law into his own hands". Why can't the media state what really happened - he protected his home and belongings from those who tried to steal them. Realistically he should have stayed indoors and been a good witness.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Can't say I like the first line in the original or updated story "taking the law into his own hands". Why can't the media state what really happened - he protected his home and belongings from those who tried to steal them. Realistically he should have stayed indoors and been a good witness.
    "Taking the law in his own hands" sells more papers than "Home owner defends self and home" Surely you don't expect the press to pass up the opportunity to sell more papers do you?

Agreed he should have called 911 and stayed inside.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    "Taking the law in his own hands" sells more papers than "Home owner defends self and home" Surely you don't expect the press to pass up the opportunity to sell more papers do you?

Agreed he should have called 911 and stayed inside.
    Why ?
    Where I live 15 miles from a mid-size city, it can take 30 minutes or more for the police to come on a burglary call; not to bash them but violent crime is up and the department staffing is not, so they respond to those faster than theft calls and that's the way it should be.
    In 30 minutes, burglars can move a lot of things that you spent many hours of your life to acquire; therefore, they are robbing you of a part of your life. Not to mention that the burglary can turn to murder if an unarmed owner stumbles in.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

If the suspect had no intentions of escalated violence, his plans were only to break into a shed, why did he have a mask?

There is no law against investigating a noise, but when a dirtbag then decides to attack you...you must defend yourself and your family.

Great job...I'll bet that there's no charges.

Stay armed...stand your ground...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Why ?
    Where I live 15 miles from a mid-size city, it can take 30 minutes or more for the police to come on a burglary call; not to bash them but violent crime is up and the department staffing is not, so they respond to those faster than theft calls and that's the way it should be.
    In 30 minutes, burglars can move a lot of things that you spent many hours of your life to acquire; therefore, they are robbing you of a part of your life. Not to mention that the burglary can turn to murder if an unarmed owner stumbles in.
    I guess that's the difference in living in a state with Castle Doctrine and one that doesn't. In VA you cannot use a gun to protect property, and going outside to confront a burglar will likely bring charges against you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I guess in states that people know they can be legally shot and killed burglarising a house it really makes them think twice about it and if they get the wrong house they won't be repeating it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    In 30 minutes, burglars can move a lot of things that you spent many hours of your life to acquire; therefore, they are robbing you of a part of your life.
    Exactly why the law should allow you to protect your property (wish my state did, for now I just have to let it go if that's all that's at stake).

Usually when I make this argument people say "people don't deserve to DIE just for theft". You only get a certain amount of time in this life, and you dedicated some of it to getting money to buy these items. You could have just as easily spent this time with your family. This is time you can never get back.

The next thing I usually ask is, "if someone kidnapped you, how many hours would you wait before thinking it was acceptable to kill your captor in order to escape?" The two situations are the same.

*mumble* gotta move to Texas *mumble*
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links