GOOD & UGLY: Father Has To Shoot Stepson To Protect Family - Battle Creek, MI

This is a discussion on GOOD & UGLY: Father Has To Shoot Stepson To Protect Family - Battle Creek, MI within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Dad shot son dead during home invasion | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal BATTLE CREEK - A Battle Creek man who allegedly shot and ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Police: Dad shot son dead during home invasion | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal

BATTLE CREEK - A Battle Creek man who allegedly shot and killed his stepson Monday night has been released from custody as the police investigation continues.

Gary Prado, 49, was questioned and then released after Battle Creek police said he shot James L. Keck, 30, of Scotts.

Detectives said it appears Keck broke into the house at 51 S. Mason St. and was shot as he was attempting to force his way into a bedroom where Prado, Darlene Prado, 48 - his wife and Keck's mother - and Gary Prado's 11-year-old daughter had taken refuge.

An autopsy Tuesday showed Keck was shot four times, including once in the center of the chest, and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Police reported the shooting at 6:57 p.m.
    Threats reported

The first officers to arrive found Keck face down in the hallway of the house and Prado was sitting on a bed. The door to the bedroom was partially open and officers said a dresser was behind the door.

A Ruger 9 mm handgun was on the bed, unloaded with the magazine removed.

Prado's daughter and her puppy were also in the room. Darlene Prado, who had called 911, ran screaming from the house as officers arrived.

Darlene Prado told officers that Keck had called the house earlier, threatening the family, and when he arrived kicked in the side door of the house.

She told officers her husband took her and his daughter into the bedroom and pushed a dresser against the inside of the door.
    Warning shot

Gary Prado warned Keck that he had a gun, Detective Sgt. Todd Madsen said, and apparently fired a warning shot as Keck tried to force his way into the bedroom.

As Keck pushed open the door, Prado fired from a few feet away.

Madsen said Keck might have been trying to get money.

"He wanted money," Madsen said. "(Mr. Prado) didn't owe him money but he wanted money."

"(Mr. Keck) called earlier and wanted to talk to his mom and then showed up and broke in," Detective Brad Wise said.
    Criminal history

Madsen said Keck has a history of assault and was listed on the Michigan Public Sex Offender Registry for a conviction of first-degree criminal sexual assault. Gary Prado obtained a personal protection order against Keck in Calhoun County Circuit Court on March 30, 2007, saying in his application that Keck threatened to kill him.

The PPO expired Oct. 1, 2007.

Calhoun County Prosecutor John Hallacy said the case remains under review by his office.

"We have met with the police and we are continuing work on the investigation," Hallacy said.
    Biker arrested

As police were at the scene of the homicide about 7:30 p.m. Monday, they said a 34-year-old man drove his motorcycle through the barrier tape strung across Mason Street.

When police yelled at the man to stop, the motorcycle tipped over and he was arrested for driving under the influence of liquor.

The man told police he drank 15 beers before riding his motorcycle.

This is a very sad situation, and how stupid was the drunk biker to plow through the crime scene tape? Amazing.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Sad situation. It's bad enough having to shoot and kill someone, even a scumbag, but when it is a family member even worse. This family will probably end up falling apart.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It was a good shoot. Nothing else to do but defend your family.

I agree with archer51 in that this may tear the family apart. I pray they're stronger than the memory of a child's (correction: adult son's) poor decision.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Most attacks are perpetrated by people who know their victims at some level. I just don't see the "Ugly" here.......a BG broke into a home and the homeowner successfully defended his family.

Good on him!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Most attacks are perpetrated by people who know their victims at some level. I just don't see the "Ugly" here.......a BG broke into a home and the homeowner successfully defended his family.

Good on him!
    I guess maybe the "ugly" comes in with the situation in general. Having to shoot your step son is the result of an "ugly" situation for the family.

As opposed to just shooting some random junkie breaking into your house.

He protected his family. That's priority #1. I hope the family survives the tragedy.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sad situation. It's bad enough having to shoot and kill someone, even a scumbag, but when it is a family member even worse. This family will probably end up falling apart.
    I have dealt with enough families in crisis to see the after-effects.
    Even when everything is right, the stress, the guilt, the shame, etc. make it very hard for families to weather that storm.

One example: a family of 5, dad, mom, pre-teen son and 8-year-old twin daughters. 1 twin contracts encephalitis. After an agonizing illness, she dies. Mom and dad divorce. Just tends to be the results of such traumatic events.

The event described in the OP is at least as traumatic to all involved, I would suspect.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I would replace 'ugly' with 'necessary'...the perp made deadly threats, broke in, ignored the warnings...he made his choice with no cost to taxpayers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Having had to stop a family member from attacking me with a knife, my mother, I know firsthand what can happen in the aftermath.

I doubt this family will survive this. I say this, not because I know them, I don't, but because of my own expiriences and statistics I've read on this subject. When it's all said and done you may survive, but can you heal the emotional wounds enough to function?

Biker

Sounds like a "wonderful" son,he was probably an addict that over time had come to make his family fear and hate him,I believe that given the history with some counseling the family unit will survive.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If as reported, it sounds like there was little choice but to stop the lion at the door. Nothing trumps the family's safety. Nothing. Certainly not psychotic and wayward in-laws. Unknown if the remaining family will "survive" this. What will be will be, and it'll likely be best.

To All Felons: If you break into my home with manifest intent to harm me and mine, then you're going to be resisted ... even if your stupidity kills you. You'll need to explain your misdeeds elsewhere. We're full up, here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If I bred a rapist family honor would dictate my need to put him down. Why should some one else have to deal with the consequences
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds like a "wonderful" son,he was probably an addict that over time had come to make his family fear and hate him,I believe that given the history with some counseling the family unit will survive.
    Had it been a cop that shot him, rather than a family member, all we'd be reading about now would be what a wonderful son he was, how he'd never hurt a fly, and how he was working hard to turn his life around from his few minor youthful transgressions when the jackbooted thug killed him for no reason......

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Had it been a cop that shot him, rather than a family member, all we'd be reading about now would be what a wonderful son he was, how he'd never hurt a fly, and how he was working hard to turn his life around from his few minor youthful transgressions when the jackbooted thug killed him for no reason......
    Exactly without any consideration for the grief they have cause the cop who was forced to take care of their dirty work
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links