Bad: Gun-range clerk shot

This is a discussion on Bad: Gun-range clerk shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this tonight. This is a little too close to home for comfort, haven't been to this range though. Gun-range clerk shot - Local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Gun-range clerk shot

Bad: Gun-range clerk shot

Just saw this tonight. This is a little too close to home for comfort, haven't been to this range though.

Gun-range clerk shot - Local - Bradenton.com

Gun-range clerk shot
    By BETH BURGER - bburger@bradenton.com

PALMETTO — A 70-year-old, gun-range clerk was shot in the neck during an armed robbery Tuesday evening, and flown to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, according to the Palmetto Police Department.

Two gunmen entered Bullseye Indoor Pistol Range, 1012 10th Street E., with their faces covered in bandanas before overpowering the man at about 5:30 p.m.

They took about 10 to 12 handguns kept in display cases.

They flipped the lights out leaving the clerk in the dark.

“He didn’t have a chance to arm himself,” said Tom Santoro, owner of Bullseye, who came to the range after he was contacted by Emergency Communications.

“They must have known what they were doing. They knew where to come in a turn the lights off,” he said.

Santoro rushed over but said the gunmen were already gone when he arrived.

Santoro plans to keep the range closed until he can make a secure entrance.

Rocco Vontinelli remains in stable condition at Bayfront, according to authorities.

“We don’t want these guns out on the streets,” said Palmetto Police Chief Garry Lowe at the scene.

Anyone with information can call the Palmetto Police Department at (941) 723-4587 ext. 103 or Crimestoppers at (866) 634-8477.

2. Remove Ads

Nope. Can't happen. They'd be out of their minds to attempt to rob a gun store, 'cause everyone's armed there. Uh-huh.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

that's why you should carry concealed. If the BG knows you are armed, they will shoot first (from the back if they can).

If I remember right, after straw purchases, gun store theft is the #2 method for the BGs to get to guns :-( .
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I saw a story on Gangland on TV where some gang targeted a gun store that had hundreds of guns,they crashed a car thru the entrance and the first guy smashed all the cases then next guys scooped up handguns and threw in bags other guys were holding,then they cut cables running thru long guns on wall and grabbed a bunch of AK's and Ar15's.I believe total time in store was under 2 minutes and they got a couple hundred guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I remember right, after straw purchases, gun store theft is the #2 method for the BGs to get to guns
    I would like to see the source for this statement. I see to recall that private theft was the number #1 method for guns getting into the hands of criminals.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

“He didn’t have a chance to arm himself,”
    Most gun stores around here, the clerk is already armed. For good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I think that's part of the job requirement for the gun shops around here.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Bingo.

On body carry for good reason.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

cj
    “He didn’t have a chance to arm himself,” said Tom Santoro, owner of Bullseye, who came to the range after he was contacted by Emergency Communications.
    Wow, I've never been in a gun store where the clerk was unarmed.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I know of that store. Yes, he should have had a gun. It is just plain stupid not to. Carry a light. You have more of a chance of the lights going out than being robbed. A close to 200 lumen strobe in the face while it is moving can create a nearly impossible target to hit. I carry multiples of both. I also have a spare tire AND tire plugs.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    I would like to see the source for this statement. I see to recall that private theft was the number #1 method for guns getting into the hands of criminals.
    Indeed. Gary Kleck's research (a respected name in the crimnology field, currently is at Florida State), and I'm sure others, have shown this to be the current supported thought.

Kleck's recent research on illegal gun markets has found that organized gun trafficking is largely irrelevant to the arming of America's criminals, and that high-volume trafficking is virtually nonexistent. Instead, gun theft is central to the channeling of guns into criminal hands. Other recent research has found that higher general gun ownership rates reduce homicide rates, probably because the violence-reducing effects of guns among noncriminal victims and prospective victims outweigh the violence-increasing effects of guns among criminals.
    Gary Kleck : Florida State University College of Criminology & Criminal Justice

If anyone requires more information on Dr. Kleck's background, you can go here:
    http://www.guncite.com/gcwhoGK.html
    Last edited by JOHNSMITH; November 5th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I saw a story on Gangland on TV where some gang targeted a gun store that had hundreds of guns,they crashed a car thru the entrance and the first guy smashed all the cases then next guys scooped up handguns and threw in bags other guys were holding,then they cut cables running thru long guns on wall and grabbed a bunch of AK's and Ar15's.I believe total time in store was under 2 minutes and they got a couple hundred guns
    Don't know about the TV show, but a similiar robbery happend to a gun store in Charlottesville, Virginia. The thieves knew the police patrol schedule and shift changes. They even set off the alarm one night ahead of the robery to test response times. They pulled the door off the hinges and and took many guns in less than 5 minutes. Well planned and executed, unfortunately.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Don't know about the TV show, but a similiar robbery happend to a gun store in Charlottesville, Virginia. The thieves knew the police patrol schedule and shift changes. They even set off the alarm one night ahead of the robery to test response times. They pulled the door off the hinges and and took many guns in less than 5 minutes. Well planned and executed, unfortunately.
    A similar incident happened at Hoffman's in Newington, CT recently. BG's stole a dump truck and drove it through the front door of the building, and made off with a large number of weapons:

Thieves Ram Truck Into Gun Store - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

NEWINGTON, Conn. -- A gun center that says it provides "guns for the good guys" may have inadvertently provided guns to bad guys after someone rammed a dump truck into the store early Wednesday.

Police said they responded to a burglar alarm at Hoffman's Gun Center on the Berlin Turnpike about 3:25 a.m. Officers found a truck had crashed through the front entrance.

Police said some merchandise may be missing from the store, but an inventory has not been completed.

Scott Hoffman, president of the family-owned business, did not immediately return a call seeking information.

The 88-year-old Hoffman's has a large inventory of ammunition, guns and other weapons including military style rifles, military and police style pistols and military and combat shotguns, according to its Web site.

"A big truck was sticking out of the Hoffman's, and the cops were just pulling up," Jerry Maldonado told Eyewitness News.

Maldonado said that he was driving past the store on the Berlin Turnpike Wednesday morning.

Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Eric Parker reported that despite the help of several K-9 units and officers from Wethersfield, Berlin and state police, a search for the thieves turned up nothing.

Police told Eyewitness News that they believe the truck was stolen and that it is likely that the suspects fled in another vehicle.

"I started calling friends in the area and told them to lock their doors -- half of them didn't have their doors locked -- we don't want another Cheshire on our hands," Maldonado said.

The apparent robbery would not be the first at Hoffman's. A sailor from East Hartford was accused in 2004 of leading a crime ring in which he allegedly staged armed robberies while home on leave.

Navy Seaman Keyjuan Oates, 21, was arrested on charges that he was the ringleader of a group of thieves who broke into Hoffman's and stole two pistols as a prelude to a crime spree involving two robberies, a home invasion and a robbery attempt in Newington and in a dozen armed robberies in other parts of the state.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

We are living in times where anything of worth...able to be taken...will be...
    There are lots of bold, desperate, greedy BG's who have no thought for the safety of others. They should be effectively crushed, and as quickly as possible.

I know that you wouldn't want to rob the gun shop I use...drinking water would be quite impossible after the attempt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I work at an indoor gun range and can assure you that if someone comes in with a mask, bandanna or anything covering their face-
    They will be drawn on in a heartbeat. We all carry concealed and all have flashlights and training with both. This should be required at all gun ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links