It happened in a nice area

This is a discussion on It happened in a nice area within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five guys forced three home occupants into their home and robbed the place---yes, there was a drug issue (minor amount of weed) in the house-- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It happened in a nice area

VIP Member

Five guys forced three home occupants into their home and robbed the place---yes, there was a drug issue (minor amount of weed) in the house-- but the level of violence and amount of stuff taken was very out of proportion. Anyway, thugs left after beating and robbing the home occupants, and then returned because they forgot to take a backpack with less than 2 ounces of weed. They were met by rifle fire which wounded on of the assailants.

Police are investigating and the wounded guy has been arrested.

The thing is, this happened in a nice and fairly new neighborhood near me.

Pre-election I volunteered to put yard signs out for my Congressional candidate within my voting precinct. One of these went two or three homes away from where the incident above occurred. It is a new, nice looking, and one would think "safe" area. I'd not bothered to go armed when I went there; and seldom go armed in this part of town.

The thugs apparently came from a much poorer part of town to do their work.

It can happen anywhere, and I will now reconsider my carry practices.

Added Later-- I misstated the number of robbers and victims but the basic story is the same. Text of the news article is posted further down.
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 7th, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Correct a misstatement of fact

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Five guys forced three home occupants into their home and robbed the place---yes, there was a drug issue (minor amount of weed) in the house-- but the level of violence and amount of stuff taken was very out of proportion. Anyway, thugs left after beating and robbing the home occupants, and then returned because they forgot to take a backpack with less than 2 ounces of weed. They were met by rifle fire which wounded on of the assailants.

Pre-election I volunteered to put yard signs out for my Congressional candidate within my voting precinct. One of these went two or three homes away from where the incident above occurred. It is a new, nice looking, and one would think "safe" area. I'd not bothered to go armed when I went there; and seldom go armed in this part of town.

"Nice area" only means that violent criminal attacks are more rare. This is the same argument that many anti's use to say you don't need a gun (because such situations are so rare you aren't likely to ever need it). But if you ARE a target of a violent attack, statistics suddenly become MEANINGLESS.

In my view you just need to always be READY.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Please post the news report when it becomes available.

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member

How many times have you heard the old saying about looks being deceiving. All you have to do is read the paper or watch the news to know no place, not even your own home is safe. The only time I am not armed or have one within arms reach is when I am at work, or a prohibited location. At those times it is locked in my truck in a storage safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Jang and all/ here's the news report

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Please post the news report when it becomes available.

Thanks,

- Janq
    From The Eagle--

Residents, robbers exchange gunfire

By CASSIE SMITH
    cassie.smith@theeagle.com

College Station police Thursday were piecing together the events of a home-invasion robbery and shooting the night before that apparently started as a drug deal.

Officials were looking for two men, and a third person was arrested after being treated at a hospital for a gunshot wound.

Cardell Jackson, 20, of Bryan, was shot by a person in the home and suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said. He was charged with nine counts of aggravated robbery and one count of burglary of a habitation.

He remained in the College Station Jail late Thursday on $175,000 bail.

Police said the series of events began just after 7 p.m. Wednesday in the 3500 block of Wild Plum Street. A resident and two of his friends were outside when they were approached by three men who asked to buy drugs, police said.

The three robbers herded the other three men into the residence at gunpoint and forced them and two other people in the home to lie on the floor, according to police reports.

College Station Police Department spokesman Lt. Rodney Sigler said it was unclear whether the robbers knew any of the people at the residence.

Jackson kicked the homeowner several times and struck him in the head with the butt of the pistol, according to police reports. The homeowner directed Jackson to two backpacks in the kitchen -- one containing about two ounces of marijuana and the other holding between $1,000 and $2,000 in cash, according to the reports.

The three robbers then ransacked the house, taking wallets, car keys, video game consoles, TVs, computers and other property, police said.

When the three men left, Sigler said, the five friends locked the door and loaded a rifle. The three robbers returned a short time later, he said -- apparently to retrieve one of the backpacks they had left behind -- and forced their way back into the home.

Jackson fired his weapon after seeing one of the occupants with a rifle, but no one was injured, Sigler said. The person with the rifle, whom police would not identify, returned fire, striking Jackson in the arm, Sigler said.

Sigler said that it was unclear what happened next but that the three robbers eventually fled to Bryan, where someone called 911 about Jackson's gunshot wound.

Sigler said that officials were still trying to sort out all of the details and that information about the other two suspects was limited.

"There is a possibility of more arrests and development as the investigation continues," he said.

Hmm... $1,000 to $2,000 in cash in one backpack, and weed in another. Sounds like Junior is getting a real education at college these days....

Remember the Dr. from CT whose wife and two daughters were murdered last summer by home invaders? He lived in a very nice part of town. I don't know why people carry only when they plan to visit the "ghetto" and not everywhere else. I live in a nice part of town and I carry everywhere, even at home. When people ask why I refer them to my original question.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Stories like the ones we see daily are the reason my Wife finally came around and is in the process of getting her CHL and her very own gun.

A great example that hits home is what happened to an area of McKinney, Texas called Craig Ranch 2 years ago.

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

A Realtor was in an open house, in a very nice part of town (read $$$) and was stabbed to death.

This is only a few miles from my home, where my Wife and kids sleep.

Then there are the shootings that happened in the $$$ part of Frisco, TX (the city just West of McKinney) where people would be shot when they answered the door.

Frisco teen found competent to stand trial in random shootings in 2006 | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Frisco News

A man's home is his castle, that is why I am considering installing a moat!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

[QUOTE=Hopyard;897043] The thing is, this happened in a nice and fairly new neighborhood near me. The thugs apparently came from a much poorer part of town to do their work. QUOTE]

If you are going to rob and steal do you go to the better neighborhoods?

why steal from the poor neighborhoods when the better stuff is down the block?

Same Crime= Better Stuff

[QUOTE=HITCH KING;897430]

Same Crime= Better Stuff
    Spoken like a true professional! : - )
    Last edited by gasmitty; November 7th, 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling

I live between the county attorney and a district court judge. I carry all the time at home. We already had one incident where someone looking for one of them came to OUR house.

You never know who is knocking at your door and why.

Stay armed and stay safe.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

I just got an Email from our HOA that is a bit freaky:

McKinney Police have notified us of the following incident which occurred sometime Friday, November 7, 2008:

Attempted Kidnapping - Cedar Elm / Highlands area . Black male in silver Escalade with large "bling" rims wearing a blue shirt with a red collar approached 16 year old female jogger, stating he had to talk to her. Jogger said no and male reportedly got out of vehicle and began to chase her. Victim hid in a garage then ran home and called P.D.

No further details were released.
    When my Wife sees this she is probably going to freak, Cedar Elm is real close to my street (a few blocks away).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Felons have mobility, same as everyone else. And felons can "smell cheese," just like everyone else.

Result: anytime, anywhere. No security regimen should be without that thought.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I just got an Email from our HOA that is a bit freaky:

When my Wife sees this she is probably going to freak, Cedar Elm is real close to my street (a few blocks away).
    It would have been so much better for ALL concerned if this female jogger could have pulled out her .38 and put 5 big holes into this dirtbag.
    Then there would be no future victims from the dead offender.

Stay armed...anytime, anywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It would have been so much better for ALL concerned if this female jogger could have pulled out her .38 and put 5 big holes into this dirtbag.
    Then there would be no future victims from the dead offender.

Stay armed...anytime, anywhere...stay safe!
    Too bad she is 16, but the home owner of the garage she hid in could have helped. I'll try to get more info on this story and post it, if I can find it.

-Paco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links