Teen Shot with Bow

This is a discussion on Teen Shot with Bow within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad that teens can't just use their fist anymore. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Authorities say a 13-year-old boy has been critically injured after being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen Shot with Bow

Teen Shot with Bow

Sad that teens can't just use their fist anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Authorities say a 13-year-old boy has been critically injured after being shot in the chest with an arrow.

Neighbors and a classmate identified the victim as Jonathan Brainard. A spokeswoman with OU Medical Center said Thursday the teen was in critical condition.

Oklahoma City Police Lieutenant Dale Marshall says officers were called about 3:20 p.m. to a northwest-side neighborhood where a fight had broken out between eight middle-school-aged children.

Marshall says a boy armed himself with a bow and arrow and shot the victim.

Police aren't releasing any names, and Marshall said he didn't immediately know whether the boy who shot the arrow would be arrested.

Children were seen being taken away from the scene in police cars for questioning. Their parents declined to comment.

NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | Teen Shot With Bow
    Home Gun - Sig Sauer P226 .40sw - Win a Piece of Movie History at Kats Cancer Care.

2. Remove Ads

That's messed up in all ways.....but it could be worse......one of the kids could have went home and got his dad's shot gun.......!.....I tell you guy's we live in a sick world........

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    This is why we need bow and arrow control.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    When I was about 11-12, my friend had a fiberglass "toy" bow and a target arrow. It was hot and muggy in the Texas Panhandle. He thought he was being funny and said, "HEY". I turned to look as he turned the bow on me. Well, the humidity and sweat and an incorrect grasp on the arrow, it slipped out of his hand. It struck my glasses exactly over the pupil of my left eye. My lens popped out, bruised my whole brow area. The arrow slipped off the plastic lens and stabbed me in my eyelid just above my eyeball.

I consider that probably the luckiest day of my life.

I hope the best for the kid.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

More terrible stuff! Kids with murderous intent. Good Lord. The kid that shot him SHOULD be arrested immediately. How could it be otherwise? I hope the victim survives.
    An arrow huh? You know......I think I'd rather be shot with a bullet than an arrow. Just knowing you'd been hit and seeing that shaft sticking out of you gives me a terrible feeling.

Administrator
    Young kids are "playing for keeps" these days.
    Either they can't think much further than their own noses or they truly don't give a damn about anything.

How can you Not Know (at age 13) that when you send an arrow wailing off into the chest of another kid...it sure is going to change your own life forever.

They know it but, they don't care.
    Or rather they truly believe that they don't care...until the "real life" ramifications of their actions kick in.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Arrest him (them) and arrest/trial...as an adult...period!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Young kids are "playing for keeps" these days.
    Either they can't think much further than their own noses or they truly don't give a damn about anything.

How can you Not Know (at age 13) that when you send an arrow wailing off into the chest of another kid...it sure is going to change your own life forever.

They know it but, they don't care.
    Or rather they truly believe that they don't care...until the "real life" ramifications of their actions kick in.
    With ADD, multiple legal and illegal drugs, social/economic issues and the internet/X box generation...one can paint a picture.

But I will ask...with instant communications now, unlike 50 years ago, did things like this happen, but we just didn't hear about it? I suspect a bit of both.

Regardless...just read an article on the web concerning an 8 yr old shooting his dad and his dad's friend to death.

Rick

I honestly think it has a lot to do with how real the video games are these days. They are so real that they make real life seem like a game.

One more reason to limit your kids time online, on games, and take them out to let them shoot a side of pork so they see what it actually does to the flesh.

Now the bow and arrow is just odd, unless that is the only weapon that was in his house that he could get his hands on.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Oh for sure the same stuff happened before instant communication.
    One thing that people were always quite accomplished at is killing other people.
    It's been happening forever.

For sure when life was more rural and folks were more isolated Farmer Joe killed the kids and just built a cow barn over them and...then "Who ever knew?"
    "Where are your youngins Farmer Joe?"
    ~ "Don't know...they done run off a month ago."

I don't think there were as many kids so young killing other kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I honestly think it has a lot to do with how real the video games are these days. They are so real that they make real life seem like a game.

One more reason to limit your kids time online, on games, and take them out to let them shoot a side of pork so they see what it actually does to the flesh.

Now the bow and arrow is just odd, unless that is the only weapon that was in his house that he could get his hands on.
    Bingo! And when they outlaw bows the enraged violent BG will get a screwdriver, shovel, rock, tire iron, etc... Look at the knuckle heads throwing rocks and bricks from overpasses no different than the butt clowns shooting randomly from overpasses and other places.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I agree with everything you said Paco.
    However, I am 48 yrs old and when I was 13, I was shot in the thigh with a target arrow from a 45# Bear recurve, quite by 'accident', no malice involved. I am willing to share the story if anyone is interested, but I don't want to hijack the thread. Anyway, it was REAL close to the femoral artery, I was a VERY lucky boy that day.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm a bowhunter and have been for 30+ years. Bowhunting safety is something that is way under respected. A bow is seldom the weapon of choice to use against another person but is a very effective weapon and will cause massive hemorhaging.

Since the boy is in critical condition, I would guess that he was shot with a target point and not a broadhead. Chances of surviving a broadhead in the chest are extremely slim.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Lead Moderator
    unless that is the only weapon that was in his house that he could get his hands on.
    That's probably the case. And if he hadn't used that it could have been a knife or ball bat. If you want to do it badly enough........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Bows are a funny thing

I am somewhat of an avid archer myself and help with intro classes for young and old alike. This incident is a sad thing but Bows are just as deadly as guns, its funny how many people for some reason don't acknowledge that fact. Safety is the same number one concern. As a side note arrows carry massive amounts on KE and use it in a very efficient way on impact. Shoot a bullet at a sand bag and it'll stop most bullets shoot and arrow at a sand bag an you'll be surprised.

I would not want to be on the recieving end of a bow in the hands of a skilled archer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links