Bad: Unarmed off-duty police officer fatally shot

This is a discussion on Bad: Unarmed off-duty police officer fatally shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Fatal Clash Between Street and Success - washingtonpost.com Harrell, who took a Swahili first name, lived with his widowed mother about a mile from ...

Thread: Bad: Unarmed off-duty police officer fatally shot

Bad: Unarmed off-duty police officer fatally shot

A Fatal Clash Between Street and Success - washingtonpost.com

Harrell, who took a Swahili first name, lived with his widowed mother about a mile from Kane Place. When he stopped by Kush's house to visit about 6 p.m. Sept. 27, Kush was surprised by his attire: jeans and a black T-shirt. Because Harrell worked so much, Kush said, he hardly ever saw him out of uniform. And it would occur to him later that Harrell, in uniform, always wore a bullet-resistant vest under his shirt. That evening, though, his vest was in his car.

Police officers with the geospatial-intelligence agency have no law enforcement powers in the community; they leave their guns at the Bethesda campus after their shifts. So Harrell was unarmed.

Two of Kush's friends were in the house that Saturday night, helping him prepare materials for a speech in Philadelphia. Kush said the teenagers loitering on the porch nearby were especially loud. About 8 p.m., fed up with the noise, Kush said, he grabbed a camera, intending to photograph the youths and send the pictures to the property's landlord.

But Harrell took the camera from his brother's hand, insisting that he should be the one to go out and do it.

He was, after all, a cop.

Kush said he watched from his porch as his brother stood near the other house, snapping pictures. "And they started pouring off the porch," Kush said. "A bunch of teenagers." As the youths surrounded Harrell on the sidewalk, Kush said, a scuffle broke out and spilled into the street. Kush said he was coming to his brother's aid when Williams appeared, a few feet from Harrell, pointing a handgun. He said Williams, without a word, squeezed the trigger once.

"You shot me," Harrell said, before he keeled over backward and lost consciousness. Standing frozen, Kush said, he looked at Williams as the teenager glared at him, the gun at his side.

"Now what's up?" said Williams, according to Kush, who is one of two witnesses quoted in a police affidavit as identifying the youth as the shooter.

Another homicide, multiple casualties on a city street. As Kush dropped to his knees by his brother's side, he said, Williams, in jeans and a dark hooded sweat shirt, turned and ran, vanishing in the drizzly night.

2. Remove Ads

What's up, huh?

Hopefully the 'electric bill' at a local prison...right after the trial!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

let's cut that kid's marbles off and let him bleed to death...

VIP Member

IMHO

Harrell showed poor judgement. He had no authority but was "still a cop" according to the article. Did he deserve what he got? Hell no! Should he have called the cops? Hell yes!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I should post this article at work. At my agency, off-duty carry is optional. I would guess only about 1 in 3 guys at work carry off-duty with any kind of frequency...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Truly disheartening chain of events
    I haven't read the full article but living 15 minutes from DC and reading the washingtoncompost from time to time I can see them easily spinning this anti-gun.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I should post this article at work. At my agency, off-duty carry is optional. I would guess only about 1 in 3 guys at work carry off-duty with any kind of frequency...
    IMO, optional is better than 'not allowed' but not as good as 'must carry' while off duty.
    I guess there are places that the police administration and local mayors don't want 'private citizen carry' so they try to show how 'safe' it is to the general public by not allowing or not mandating 'off duty carry' by there own officers.
    This may not be a good example here but if I was a police officer, I dang well would carry while off duty because of the 'potential enimies' made while fulfilling my duties on the job.
    Prayers to him and his family.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What's up, huh?

Hopefully the 'electric bill' at a local prison...right after the trial!

Took the words right out of my...keyboard
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Harrell showed poor judgement. He had no authority but was "still a cop" according to the article. Did he deserve what he got? Hell no! Should he have called the cops? Hell yes!
    Yep.
    Agreed 100%

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Is a cop without a gun still a cop? Yes and no. If you think about it, the police are obeyed, feared, and respected by some because the police can make them them comply with the use of force (AKA the gun). Without that force (gun), there is no fear or respect for them, and they are seen as bullies who are now open and weak. Time for the BG to get in their cheap shot. The uniform also serves as like a shield of power and authority. When there is no uniform and just the face of the person who wears it, that shield gone. Cops who don't realize these things and think that since they are a cop, that they have some special powers are stupid. It boils down to man vs. man, not cop vs. robber. I realize this and will remember it when I am in such a position of power (or powerlessness, such as this case). There is some point that I'm trying to articulate here, but I just can't put my finger on it (even if it is on the tip of my tongue) and write it, so this will have to work.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

A bunch juvenile delinquents all hanging out together. Why do communities put up with this? This crap is very common. You tell them to turn down their boom box and 10 of them boot stomp you or shoot you.

Nobody will come to your aid.

If you catch one of the little jerks when they are alone, they will run away like a cat being chased by a garden hose, crying and cursing as they run. But, they will be back 10 minutes later with all of their friends; this time sporting all the tough-talk that they lacked when they were alone and the fight was fair.

MP,

It doesn't even matter that he was a LEO without a gun or uniform or applicable badge.

Here in my town just in the last 30 days there have been two incidents where LEOs have been assaulted by young people, and the LEOs were in uniform with badges and are armed.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008
    UMass police officer injured after fracas at makeshift pool near stadium; one arrested | GazetteNET

Tuesday, October 28, 2008
    http://www.gazettenet.com/story/208625

And this is a small rural town, not DC.
    These days as based on observation people are tending to have less and less respect for LEOs, and their badge or gun, nevermind Joe Blow citizen looking persons.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Why on Earth would an agency require their Cops to leave their tools at work? Why don't they have authority when not on shift? I always thought that being a LEO was a calling and not a job, how can you be made to turn that in at the end of a shift?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links