Ugly: Woman shot for backing out of KKK initiation

This is a discussion on Ugly: Woman shot for backing out of KKK initiation within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Crazy, sheriff says nobody should worry about this group, but arrests eight people in connection with murder. COX.net for Central Kansas - National: Woman in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Woman shot for backing out of KKK initiation

Ugly: Woman shot for backing out of KKK initiation

Crazy, sheriff says nobody should worry about this group, but arrests eight people in connection with murder.

COX.net for Central Kansas - National: Woman in rural La. for KKK initiation killed after asking to be taken back to town, police say

Woman in rural La. for KKK initiation killed after asking to be taken back to town, police say

This photo provided by St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office shows Raymond Foster, the head of a Ku Klux Klan chapter from Bogalusa, La. Foster was booked into St. Tammany Parish jail in Covington, La., with second-degree murder charges in the death of a woman in rural St. Tammany Parish on Monday after she tried to back out of a KKK initiation ritual. (AP Photo/St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office)
    11-12-2008 3:20 AM

COVINGTON, La. (Associated Press) -- After a Ku Klux Klan initiation at a Louisiana campsite went awry, authorities said, a recruit who tried to back out was shot dead. The body of the woman, who traveled from Oklahoma, was dumped on a rural roadside and covered with brush. Her belongings were set aflame.

But the cover-up was stillborn: The body was found Monday, a day after the shooting. By Tuesday, a local Klan leader sat in jail on a second-degree murder charge, and seven others were charged with trying to help conceal the crime.

"The IQ level of this group is not impressive, to be kind," St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain said Tuesday.

The woman, whose identity was not released, was recruited over the Internet to participate in the ritual and then return to her home state to find other members for the white supremacist group, Strain said.

It wasn't clear what rites awaited her at the campsite, but authorities believe the initiation had begun by the time the shooting happened. Strain said the group's leader, Raymond "Chuck" Foster, 44, shot and killed her Sunday night after a fight broke out when she asked to be taken back to town.

Foster was charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bond. Capt. George Bonnett, a spokesman for the sheriff's department, said he doesn't know if Foster has an attorney.

Seven others _ five men and two women ages 20 to 30 _ were charged with obstruction of justice and were held on $500,000 bond at the St. Tammany Parish jail. All eight of the suspects live in neighboring Washington Parish, but Bonnett said he couldn't immediately identify their hometowns.

Strain said the woman arrived in the Slidell, La., area last week and was met by two people connected to the Klan group. She was taken during the weekend to the campsite near Sun, La., on the banks of the Pearl River. Sun is about 60 miles north of New Orleans.

"We haven't completely sorted out if they finished the initiation," Bonnett said, adding he wasn't aware of any other KKK-related cases during his three years with the department. "I assume that they had started it, but I don't know if they were finished."

Authorities said the group's members called themselves the "Dixie Brotherhood."

Mark Pitcavage, director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League, said the Dixie Brotherhood appears to be a small, loosely organized group of people.

"This is not what I would call an established Klan group," he said. "The Klan has a pretty high association with violence. Some of these guys are just crooks, sociopaths."

But the sheriff said the public shouldn't feel endangered.

"I can't imagine anyone feeling endangered or at risk by any one of these kooks," Strain said.

2. Remove Ads

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    "I can't imagine anyone feeling endangered or at risk by any one of these kooks," Strain said.

He can't imagine? I know you don't want to start panic among the sheep, but come on.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

"The IQ level of this group is not impressive, to be kind," St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain said Tuesday.
    Seems to me that the woman who was killed had a pretty good reason to feel endangered and at risk by those kooks.I believe the white sheets are the reason this lady was killed,we should ban white sheets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That is bad for the woman since she was apparently trying to get out of the situation. Sounds like she put herself in a bad situation to start with though. What would you really expect from those kind of people? Look at their history, it really isn't that pretty.

Holy crap, this stuff still goes on? What are we in, the 1900's or something? Why are the KKK not listed as a terrorist organization, that is why they were founded to terrorize the black vote and to oppress those who oppose their twisted way of thinking.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Holy crap, this stuff still goes on?
    My old stomping-grounds. Went to college out there.......I'm SOOooo
    Thrilled to see that............

That's the back-yard, back-woods good-ol'-boy network that hate everything. Stupid people.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    Paco,

I'm afarid we will never get rid of stupid people who are frightened by things that they don't or can't understand.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Personally I have never understood this thinking. I am white, grew up in a black neighborhood. How can someone hate another for something they have no control over? That is like me hating some of you because I am balding but many of you still have a nice head of hair.

Oh, dang there I go again using common sense and logic. Sorry, I try to not let that slip in to my posts, but it just keeps popping in there!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I just saw this featured at ABCNews.com and had the exact feeling toward the Sherrifs statement as you guys.

They are per his words persons who are not of concern and no danger to anyone, but yet he is investigating a MURDER committed and covered up by them.
    So which one is it? Are they murderers or are they pussycats? There are pussycat murderers but no such thing as murderous pussycats.

Stupid seems to be wide spread in that town, including with the sherriff.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Stupid seems to be wide spread in that town, including with the sheriff.
    Are we sure the Sheriff is playing stupid? I'm not one for starting a conspiracy theory or anything, I'm just sayin' there might be more in this man's sheets that is led to beleive.

-Paco

Good point Paco...Hadn't thought of it in that way from that angle.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Good point Paco...Hadn't thought of it in that way from that angle.

- Janq
    Hey, I saw "Mississippi Burning", it can happen

-Paco

wpk
    People have hated people as long as people have existed and will always do so. The best we can do is try to educate the next generation and keep the hatred as much on the fringe of society as we can.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Holy crap, this stuff still goes on? What are we in, the 1900's or something? Why are the KKK not listed as a terrorist organization, that is why they were founded to terrorize the black vote and to oppress those who oppose their twisted way of thinking.
    There is a lot of thing going on that we can barely imagine.
    A couple years ago, a good friend of mine was considering joining a Motorcycle Club, a 1%er.
    I started to research these organization and was utterly amazed by what I found ... and I am sure there are other things I can't even fathom in many organizations in this 21th century.
    Actually, looking into these 1%er Clubs who are thriving, especially in Australia, Europe, Canada and here, I got to wonder if they were not a by-product of our modern (computer-based) society.

Don't get me wrong, I do not, in anyway, try to excuse any hate and/or violent group.
    I'm just saying that a lot more exist, than we can see on our "radar screens" and IMO there are not going to go away by themselves, quite the contrary.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Sometimes it seems like people just HAVE to have someone to hate. It kinda binds them together.

But Geeeeez, if you need to hate someone, hate the child molesters, rapists, murderers and other scumbags.

The really sad thing is that these people are raising their young to hate the way they do.

I hope everyone of the trash involved in her murder fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links