Irate Mom Waves Gun at Students on School Bus, Police Say

This is a discussion on Irate Mom Waves Gun at Students on School Bus, Police Say within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- An angry mom boarded a school bus on Tuesday morning and threatened students while waving a gun, according to police. According to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irate Mom Waves Gun at Students on School Bus, Police Say

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- An angry mom boarded a school bus on Tuesday morning and threatened students while waving a gun, according to police.

According to witnesses, children on the bus were frightened and some even hid under the seats.

"I had to go under the seat cause I was scared," said Damario Thomas, 11, a 7th grader at West Side Middle School in Memphis.

"I was afraid she was going to pull the trigger and make a mistake and hit one of us, so I go up under the chair."

The woman was apparently irate over how some students were treating her child.

"She was saying whoever touch my baby or mess with my baby again, I'm going to blow your brains out," Thomas said.

Thomas' mother is upset with the school district for not letting parents know immediately what had happened.

"The parents should have been called and we should have had a choice to come pick our kids up," said Chiquita Callaway.

Thomas said he was scared the rest of the day and then had to ride the same bus home.

School officials sent home a letter about the incident saying that a woman had boarded the bus and threatened the children but the letter did not indicate that the woman had a gun.

Callaway said her son won't be riding the bus for a while.

"I'm afraid she gonna do it again, come on the bus," said Thomas.

No student was hurt in the incident. So far, police have not filed charges against the woman.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Oh, wow. Where was the bus driver during this, cowering under their own seat? Those kids are their responsibility until they are dropped off at school or home. What if this lady touched off a shot and hit a kid, what would the bus driver say then?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Jeebus. :(

A bus load of future voting antis made thanks to some singular moron.

- Obama
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Jail.

That's what I'd get if I did something like that.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    And jail is what the "irate woman" (read: moron) should get.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

So far, police have not filed charges against the woman.
    I hope they've at least got her in custody if in fact she did have a gun when she boarded the bus. Hind sight is 20/20, but in this case the bus driver may have done the right thing by not doing anything at all, if that's what (s)he did. If (s)he's like most school bus drivers, they're older and if they'd started to wrestle with the irate mother the gun could have gone off and injured one of the students, but none of us were there so we'll just have to wait for more information on the incident.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

VIP Member
    With security cameras on the bus, and driver's testimony, there should be no problem taking her into custody. But, one sure might want to know what the little monsters may have done to her kid to provoke this, and why officials did nothing to protect her kid--if that was the case.

No student was hurt in the incident. So far, police have not filed charges against the woman.
    WHAT?!

No charges....you've got to be kidding...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

No charges filed yet? Now I know this country is ill. merlin45kout

So I wonder if the "school property" laws would come into play here? They could get her on a federal felony then. Maybe that's why the local police haven't filed charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    What if this lady touched off a shot and hit a kid, what would the bus driver say then?
    Something like "Ban 'em all!" me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That woman should be looking at jail time...doing what she did (even without a gun) should have brought charges.

I smell some bad fish here...no charges?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some of the articles, out there, are printing claims from others that there has been a history of threats to the children by thugs at that school, threats made to other children both on the bus and at school, including this threats to this woman's kids. Now, if those threats involved deadly threats, I can see how a parent might well believe that the risk had gotten bad enough to respond.

All we know at this point is: angry woman "pulls" gun on school bus of children, apparently unprovoked.

But we don't know what that provocation was, as it's being withheld at this time. Other articles are suggesting that folks know of a history of other young thugs having made lethal threats against kids at this school, on the bus, including pulling out lethal weapons. A parent without financial alternatives might have a hard time eliminating the bus ride or changing schools.

Given what's been reported so far, I can't see how she could have been justified. But the mere fact that charges haven't been filed suggests there's more to the story. If simply crazed-woman-pulls-gun-unjustifiably, then that's all that needs to be known. If she had no justification, if none of these young thugs (reported elsewhere) had been threatening kids at that time (or recently), then she's got a date with jail bars in her near future. Otherwise? We'll see, I guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links