BAD: Shooting on Campus

This is a discussion on BAD: Shooting on Campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - MTSU Student: 'I Do Believe The Purse Saved My Life' This happened at MTSU - my school. I haven't ...

Thread: BAD: Shooting on Campus

BAD: Shooting on Campus

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - MTSU Student: 'I Do Believe The Purse Saved My Life'

This happened at MTSU - my school. I haven't felt safe there, ever. Now I have proof to back it up... again. Gun free zone, my ass. Only the law abiding follow THAT one.

2. Remove Ads

The story...

MTSU Student: 'I Do Believe The Purse Saved My Life'

Attempted robbery victim Elizabeth Pittenger

Elizabeth Pittenger shows on another purse where a bullet entered a handgun she carried during an attempted robbery

Robbery suspect Orlando Edmiston

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - An oversized purse saved a Middle Tennessee State University student when a man shot at her during an attempted robbery.

Campus police said senior Elizabeth Pittenger fought off the robber who demanded her cell phone, laptop and purse.

"I remember seeing the gun being pointed up. And, all I remember thinking was, ‘Oh my gosh, this is it.' I mean, I really did think that I was going to die," she said.

The man shot a .38 caliber handgun into the purse.

MTSU Police Chief Buddy Peaster said the contents of her purse prevented the bullet from piercing the 22-year-old woman's waist.

"I do believe the purse saved my life," Pittenger said.

Minutes after the shooting, campus police arrested 20-year-old Orlando Edmiston.

The university alerted students, faculty and staff about the attempted robbery via an email alert.

"That was crazy. It makes me not want to walk alone, though, you know?" said MTSU freshman LaShanna Davis.

The shooting is leaving an impression on women and putting their purses in a whole new light.

"I don't go out and buy those too expensive ones. You know, what I'm saying?" said freshman Brittany Anderson. "Because people see you with them expensive bags and stuff. That's how they get you. You know what I'm saying?"

Is it an accessory or necessity?

Pittenger will tell you that the attempted robbery "could've happened so much differently.

"I am just so grateful to be here right now," she said.

Police seized her purse for evidence.

Pittenger said the suspect demanded her cell phone and laptop computer, but instead she fought back.

She said she would do it again.

But given her spunk, her mother plans to buy her a handgun for Christmas.

Edmiston faces several charges including attempted murder, armed robbery and possession of a weapon on school property. Police do not think he's a student at MTSU.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know what she had in her purse, but it probably saved her from getting shot or even killed. It's amazing that colleges and universities can still ban guns on their campuses after all of the shootings that take place there.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    It's amazing that colleges and universities can still ban guns on their campuses after all of the shootings that take place there.
    I agree. I'm near Colorado State University, and the Chief of police is for allowing CCW holders to carry on campus. One of very few.

-Jeff-

The writing skills of these so called reporters is often times so bad...

"Elizabeth Pittenger shows on another purse where a bullet entered a handgun she carried during an attempted robbery."

She wasn't carrying a handgun in her purse!
    She was shot at with a handgun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I was thinking the same thing Janq and was a bit confused. The question I have is if she was carrying a weapon in her purse...could she have responded quickly and effectively? Also curious at what time of day?

Rick

It was at about 9 at night - the night classes had just gotten out. I was on campus about two buildings over attending a recital. One of my friends is on the student patrol and called and let me know what was up. This was when I found out that even though he has a HCP and an armed security license, he can't even carry pepper spray or a pocket knife on campus legally.

I want to know how many minutes went by before the "officials" showed up?

Yeah, it's important...

She must have had the new Geko45 purse with integral ballistic ceramic plates in the lining.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing Janq and was a bit confused. The question I have is if she was carrying a weapon in her purse...could she have responded quickly and effectively? Also curious at what time of day?

Rick
    I had to read the whole article three times before I got what the problem was, bad writing.

She wasn't carrying a firearm on her at the time.
    Note at the end the following statements;

Police seized her purse for evidence.

Pittenger said the suspect demanded her cell phone and laptop computer, but instead she fought back.

She said she would do it again.

But given her spunk, her mother plans to buy her a handgun for Christmas.
    If she did have a firearm in herpurse then it would be the purse plus firearm, which is notable, that would have been kept by police as evidence.
    Further her mother would not be buying her a firearm for Christmas...but rather would be getting her a replacement which also would be notable . Neither is noted, by the badly written article.

I see stuff like this often.
    What are the editors doing?! Do they even read the articles before allowing them to go to print?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thankfully she was not hurt or killed......

College students around the USA are sitting ducks for psychopaths looking to go out with a bang. When will people wake up that gun laws only hurt the innocent and law abiding? Each year more anti-gun legislation goes on the books, and each year more and more gun violence creeps into our lives. Why does no one seem the correlation here?

Elizabeth Pittenger shows on another purse where a bullet entered a handgun she carried during an attempted robbery
    The person who wrote the caption (quite possibly not the person who wrote the story) probably meant "handbag."

It still should have been caught, but it's a little more understandable.

If I lose my current proofreading gig, I know somewhere to send my resume.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Links