Man kills ex-girlfriend at her workplace

This is a discussion on Man kills ex-girlfriend at her workplace within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened at the small medical building where my wife got her bone-density test this summer. Any time, any place. STLtoday - Gunman slain by ...

Thread: Man kills ex-girlfriend at her workplace

Man kills ex-girlfriend at her workplace

This happened at the small medical building where my wife got her bone-density test this summer.

Any time, any place.

STLtoday - Gunman slain by police after he kills ex-girlfriend

Gunman slain by police after he kills ex-girlfriend

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/15/2008

O'Fallon, MO Jenenne Marie Meadows got to make one call to her kids to say goodbye before her ex-boyfriend shot and killed her Friday night at the medical building where she worked.

The 47-year-old lab technician from St. Peters was inside the St. John's Mercy Urgent Care center off Highway K in O'Fallon when the 45-year-old man calmly walked in with a handgun about 4:30 p.m. and told people inside to leave or move to another area of the building, police said.

The gunman went to the second floor of the building and confronted Meadows, taking her hostage inside one of the rooms. At some point, police were told by a family friend, he allowed Meadows to call her children.

About an hour and a half after she was taken hostage, Meadows broke free from the man and unlocked the door. That's when he shot her. SWAT team members outside the door then shot him.

"That's a very last option. Obviously, it's a tough day for both the families. It's a tough day for us," SWAT team Capt. Dave Todd said. The team and O'Fallon police officers were never able to make contact with the man. Negotiators were also on the scene.

"We had both of their cell phone numbers and the office phone, but he would not talk with us whatsoever," Todd said.

Authorities said a doctor and medics on the SWAT team immediately began treating Meadows and the gunman, who were later pronounced dead at an area hospital.

Most of the patients and workers in the building got out, but a few were hiding in a room on the second floor of the building during the incident.

Medical workers standing outside the building in the rain on Friday night declined to talk to a reporter as they waited for word about what had happened. One employee who declined to give her name said she was working on the first floor with patients when they were instructed to follow lockdown procedures. They moved patients to a secure area and later left the building.

"Everybody remained very calm, actually," she said as she stood outside waiting to see whether she could get her things, which were still inside.

The flashing lights of several squad cars in front of the urgent care center was a stark contrast to the building next door, which houses a pizza restaurant and Chinese buffet packed with families out to eat on Friday night. Several stopped and stood in the rain to watch police at the scene.

"You usually don't see this out here," said Fred Miller, who was taking his two children to eat Chinese food.

On Friday night, authorities said they were not aware of any history of domestic violence between Meadows and the man. Police did not release his name.

Court records show Meadows is divorced and the mother of three adult sons.

A hospital spokeswoman declined to give information about the shootings but did issue a brief statement: "All of us are saddened by the events this evening. We are trying to confirm identities: however, we are unable to release information pending family notification. We continue to work with the police in their investigation."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This happened at the small medical building where my wife got her bone-density test this summer.

Any time, any place.

STLtoday - Gunman slain by police after he kills ex-girlfriend
    You got it Grady.

A similar thing happened in my small, town's high school this week.

A 14 yo boy, who was not a student in the HS, entered the school right before classes started and slashed the throat of a 17 yo female student he didn't even know.

News : Dark day in Montrose: Student assaulted at high school (Montrose, CO)

Why do you carry? Because today could be the day.

Funny thing; many of those interviewed said something like:
    "I never thought this kind of thing could happen in our town/school."

My town has more sheep than I thought.
    Last edited by KenInColo; November 15th, 2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Ya know, it seems to me more and more of these 'incidents' are getting 'closer to home' each time.

Anytime, anyplace is right!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    You got it Grady.

A similar thing happened in my small, town's high school this week.

A 14 yo boy, who was not a student in the HS, entered the school right before classes started and slashed the throat of a 17 yo female student he didn't even know.

News : Dark day in Montrose: Student assaulted at high school (Montrose, CO)
    That's horrible. I'd put that punk away for at least 30 years for attempted murder, with no parole. I don't care if he would spend the best years of his life in jail--he tried to take ALL her life. Slapping these kids' hands doesn't work. Give them hard time, remove them from society, and make it safer for those of us on the outside. I don't care if he'd come out of prison a criminal... he already is an attempted murderer who tried to kill an innocent girl on her way to school. It'd be his choice in prison if he wanted to make better decisions in life once he got out.

I would charge him as an adult and give him some adult time in prison.

Funny thing; many of those interviewed said something like:
    "I never thought this kind of thing could happen in our town/school."
    I hear this over and over and over on the news after some tragedy.

Why do you carry? Because today could be the day.
    That statement right there sums up in words the feeling that has been going through my mind since before I started carrying. I hadn't been able to word it so succinctly, but that is it: Because today could be the day.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Ya know, it seems to me more and more of these 'incidents' are getting 'closer to home' each time.

Anytime, anyplace is right!
    Sadly, you are right.

We still never think it will really happen 'here', or to 'us'. There are hundreds and thousands of victims who say the same thing.
    It the 'plan'...the 'plan'...for everyone you meet!

Stay armed...anytime, anywhere...all the time, everywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We still never think it will really happen 'here', or to 'us'. There are hundreds and thousands of victims who say the same thing.
    But you, I and others here are trying to be as prepared as we can be in case it does happen to us, which most of us realize it might. But so many in our society don't believe it could ever happen to them, as you mention. I'm sure the lady who died didn't leave for work thinking she was going to get shot and killed. After all, there had never been a shooting in that building.

I made sure my daughter heard that entire story, and the fact that her mom had been in that very building recently. And it's not a large building--it's a small, urgent care center.

I hope my wife and daughter can learn from this tragedy.

I never thought I would be carjacked and shot, but now it's part of my past..

I remember as a young man hearing about people getting carjacked etc..

Until it was my story and my name in the newspapers about me being carjacked and shot..

Prayers to the families of the victims
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Well, here I am in the PRC and when the day comes some psycho picks me out of the crowd and decides I've lived long enough then I'm toast. All due to the arrogance of people in positions of authority who make the decision that a 65 year old man who's never had a problem with the law does not need a gun for self protection. They and their officers do, but I most decidely do not.

My uncle taught track at Pearl High School in Mississippi a few years before Luke Woodham's rampage there.

That's horrible. I'd put that punk away for at least 30 years for attempted murder, with no parole. I don't care if he would spend the best years of his life in jail--he tried to take ALL her life. Slapping these kids' hands doesn't work. Give them hard time, remove them from society, and make it safer for those of us on the outside. I don't care if he'd come out of prison a criminal... he already is an attempted murderer who tried to kill an innocent girl on her way to school. It'd be his choice in prison if he wanted to make better decisions in life once he got out.

I would charge him as an adult and give him some adult time in prison.
    I think the "hug a thug" mentality has gotten out of control, but I don't know about sending him to adult prison. What I do think should happen, is juvenile facilities should have some teeth added to them. Just my $0.02.

Links