Bad and Ugly: Violent mob used meat tenderizer to beat victims (Canada)

This is a discussion on Bad and Ugly: Violent mob used meat tenderizer to beat victims (Canada) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The following was sent to me by a gentleman from another board where I moderate a small but active gunfu related subsection. He is Canadian ...

Thread: Bad and Ugly: Violent mob used meat tenderizer to beat victims (Canada)

Bad and Ugly: Violent mob used meat tenderizer to beat victims (Canada)

The following was sent to me by a gentleman from another board where I moderate a small but active gunfu related subsection.
    He is Canadian currently residing in Ontario.

Hello,

A friend of mine sent me a link to this news story earlier today, which reminded me of your criminal victimization thread.

TheStar.com | GTA | 9 charged in swarmings

I didn't want to post it myself in there, as I recognize that you take care to moderate the thread. Instead, I thought I would send it to you for your perusal.

The area in which the crimes happened is a middle-ish class residential area, with some bars and stores. I used to frequent the area often when a Metal club was still open there.

The friend that sent me the article is a well trained law enforcement officer, who armed or not might stand a chance of defending himself. I on the other hand would not - regardless of being armed (I am sure you are well aware of Canada's laws towards personal carry)

I figured you would have some insight to add to this by way of defense/tactics to get the hell away from the scene in the event of swarmings and this might be a useful post.

Sadly, these kind of attacks are working well and more and more "street piracy" is taking place around here. I suspect in no small part due to the sheer number of people unaware of their surroundings at 12:40am with iPod headphones in (making them a target + unaware of their status as such)

Anyhow, thought you might be interested.

<GG Canadian>
    ---

As reported by The Star:

9 charged in swarmings
    Violent mob used meat tenderizer to beat victims in string of random holdups for cash, cellphones

Nov 16, 2008 04:30 AM
    Carmen Chai
    Brett Popplewell
    Staff Reporters

Police arrested nine teenagers yesterday morning after at least five people were robbed and beaten, some with a steel meat tenderizer, in downtown Toronto.

The random, unprovoked attacks sent three victims to hospital with serious injuries to their heads and faces.

One victim was beaten so badly with the tenderizer, he required 30 stitches and 10 staples in his head.

"This is appalling," said Toronto police Det. Const. Chris Chilvers, an investigator in the case.

"I don't know how else you would describe it."

Police say the suspects were prowling the streets, seeking out pedestrians and swarming their victims like a pack of wolves.

Police received a call at 12:54 a.m. from a passerby who saw a male walking down Davenport Rd. approached by a group of teens.

They demanded he hand over his money and phone before beating him in the face and head with the tenderizer.

That incident came after three other attacks that began around 10:30 p.m. Friday near Dundas St. and Ossington Ave.

Police said one victim was 18. The other four were between the ages of 26 and 48.

Three of the victims were walking alone when they were attacked.

Three females and six males between the ages of 16 and 18 face 81 charges of robbery, aggravated assault and possession of stolen property.

Staff Sgt. Courtney Chambers said yesterday that the victims seemed to have been chosen at random.

"These people were just going about their business in public streets in our city," she said.

In each case, the victims were swarmed.

Demands were made for goods and then the beatings ensued.

Police did not say if the victims gave in to their attackers' demands for their belongings, but urged anyone who falls victim of a swarming to comply and then call 911 immediately.

"Never fight back against a group. It's not worth it," Chilvers said.

Initial reports indicated the victims may have been targeted for their iPods, but police later said some victims seemed to be robbed for their cellphones and wallets.

Reports about the iPods came after a slew of unrelated robberies that have seen residents in the GTA, five in the last two weeks, lose their iPods by force.

The story can be found at; TheStar.com | GTA | 9 charged in swarmings

- Janq

"Boy. Everything, is a weapon." - My mom as stated to me at age 7 whilst teaching how to fight to survive
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I'd like to see what would happen if these guys decided to try this in a state like Texas
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I lived 100 miles from Toronto ca 1972. By and large back then at least, it was a lovely place. However, the only place I have ever been openly told I was going to be shot was in Ontario. It was two idiot kids cruising, pulled up alongside and yelled, "we're going to shoot you," them sped off.

This http://www.andrewsleather.com/ "Carjacker Crossdraw" and your favorite "toy," would have come in handy if the stupid kids had been for real.

Different strokes for different folks. I have no problem with them running their own affairs their way. Sadly, there is something in the UK-Canadian-Australian mentality, at least of their governments, which causes them to not get it. My Aussie relatives tell me you can't even punch a home invader. Guess what, they have lots of home invasion.

i dont understand how the Australians ever got this way about guns.they need to start a movement and get some laws changed.
    just because something is a law doesn't mean its a good law.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Notice the foolish mindset continues...

"Never fight back against a group. It's not worth it," Chilvers said.
    so what again isn't worth it? Your life isn't worth fighting for?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

OMG!
    Now we're going to have to endure reasonable restrictions on the purchase and use of meat tenderizers!
    I refuse to register mine!
    I'm buying six more on payday, against the inevitable bans and/or "One-Tenderizer-A-Month" limits!!
    They can have mine when they pry my cold, sticky fingers off of it!
    Okay, sorry guys, but I couldn't help it. Once in a while the idiocy we're force-fed just wells up, like yesterday's bad burrito...

Stay sane,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd like to see what would happen if these guys decided to try this in a state like Texas
    In TX, the 'meat' shoots back...

Here in FL, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Toronto is our Chicago. Most of us won't miss the place if you want it.

Links