Stupid is as Stupid Does... "Carjacker Can't drive straight shift"

This is a discussion on Stupid is as Stupid Does... "Carjacker Can't drive straight shift" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I bet these thugs still wouldnt have gotten away if this car had the push button automatic over on the left side of the dash ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid is as Stupid Does... "Carjacker Can't drive straight shift"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I bet these thugs still wouldnt have gotten away if this car had the push button automatic over on the left side of the dash ... now that was technology.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

I don't understand whats so hard about driving stick. First time I ever did it, I just got in the car and drove. I stalled getting out of the parking spot and never once stalled again after that.

Its not really that hard
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

column mounts and dimmers

I am 21 but have kept some really outdated trucks running for me. The column shift I have kinda sucked it was only a three speed and 4 required new linkage through the floor. As for the floor dimmers you can still buy them and i retro fitted one into my new truck.

Hey Rcher,I had one of those a long time ago.It was a 56 desota,2 door hardtop.sj

She got lucky. It wasn't too long ago that some guy was getting out of his car at his apartment; two guys approached him, and carjacked him at gunpoint. Once the guys realized they couldn't operate the car (stickshift), they became angry and shot the owner in the face. Yea.

I myself drive a stickshift and will never drive anything else so long as I have a working left knee. I truly have a strong dislike of all automatics as far as something I would drive everyday for more than a few minutes.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My dad's first car was an Austin 7, with "trafficator arms" basically a arm on the left and right side that would stick out to indicate which way you would turn.

I drove Landrovers for most of my life, I can't drive a standard without double-clutching and it had a start button, plus 10 gears. just put the transfer case in neutral and they would never figure it out.

My first car was a '54 Chevy w/column shift. The windshield wipers were the vacuum type and when you had to accelerate, esp uphill, they would stop working. An AM radio w/big push buttons and no AC.
    Great car until I put a rod thru the engine block.

Yep good reason to drive a standard still. Keeps people from wanting to borrow your vehicle either with or without your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Boy,Archer,your telling your age now.can you remember the old floor mounted dimmer switch?sj
    Hey, my wife's truck has a floor mounted dimmer switch, and we still drive it every week. The truck doesn't even have 89k miles on it yet, just like new.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just think if it had been a column mounted stick shift. Now I have myself wondering if anyone still makes a column mount anymore!
    They haven't made a 3 on the tree for a long time, most people today would be hard pressed to figure them out. I think I could still manage to do it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep good reason to drive a standard still. Keeps people from wanting to borrow your vehicle either with or without your permission.

Hey, my wife's truck has a floor mounted dimmer switch, and we still drive it every week. The truck doesn't even have 89k miles on it yet, just like new.

They haven't made a 3 on the tree for a long time, most people today would be hard pressed to figure them out. I think I could still manage to do it.
    Your probably right. My first car was a Studebaker Lark. 3 on the tree, pull handle under the dash to engage the overdrive. Like most Studebaker she leaked oil faster than you could pour it in. Thank god for STP to thicken it up so you could keep the engine lubricated.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links