Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet

This is a discussion on Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet - New Orleans SLIDELL, La. -- A stray bullet hit a man in his chest while he was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet

Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet

Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet - New Orleans

SLIDELL, La. -- A stray bullet hit a man in his chest while he was mowing his lawn Saturday, but he escaped injury because the bullet slammed into a cell phone in his pocket.

R.J. Richard of Slidell said he was working in his yard when a large-caliber bullet slammed into his chest.

"When this thing hit me, it hit with such force that I thought it popped up from the lawnmower some kind of way," he said.

Richard said he didn't know what hit him, but he knew something was wrong. When he tried to dial 911, his cell phone fell apart in his hands.

The stray bullet had hit his Motorola cell phone. Richard said he normally keeps the phone in his pants pocket, but that day he had it in a pocket over his heart.

"(Doctors) said, 'If your cell phone wouldn't have been there, and if it would have hit you straight on, you'd be totally dead,' because that is where my heart is," Richard said.

Richard's wife, Mindy, drove up shortly after the shooting. She said it took a while for reality to set in.

"I just burst into tears," she said. "I just could not believe it."

Investigators tell WDSU they don't know what gun might have fired the bullet. The St. Tammany Sheriff's Department is running the bullet through its Ibis System to see if the gun it came from has ever been used in another crime.

They said they don't suspect any criminal intent, but said anyone who pulls the trigger of a gun is responsible for where the bullet winds up.

The close call just before the holiday season has the Richards holding on to one another a bit more tightly.

"It increased my faith," R.J. Richard said. "I am hopefully more humble. I hopefully will love my wife more and quicker."

"He is," Mindy Richard said. "Ever since Saturday he's been doing so much more right. I can't get over it."

R.J. Richard said he's got a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If my doctor said "totally dead" I'd find a new doctor.

I wonder if its deer season in La.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If my doctor said "totally dead" I'd find a new doctor. I wonder if its deer season in La.
    I agree with you on that. It's like being a little pregnant.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I agree. But I doubt that is the case here. The quote is actually from the man that was shot, not his doctor. Just look at the other quotes from him, it fits his pattern of speech.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I agree. But I doubt that is the case here. The quote is actually from the man that was shot, not his doctor. Just look at the other quotes from him, it fits his pattern of speech.
    I think it's an ambiguous statement. It could be parsed either way, but it's more fun to think the doctor said it.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I wonder if its deer season in La.
    Is that, like, "totally" dead, or only "mostly" dead?

-- Miracle Max
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Slidell is right across from New Orleans, I've been there a few times.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Cell Phone Over Man's Heart Stops Bullet - New Orleans

SLIDELL, La. -- A stray bullet hit a man in his chest while he was mowing his lawn Saturday, but he escaped injury because the bullet slammed into a cell phone in his pocket.

R.J. Richard of Slidell said he was working in his yard when a large-caliber bullet slammed into his chest.

"When this thing hit me, it hit with such force that I thought it popped up from the lawnmower some kind of way," he said.

Richard said he didn't know what hit him, but he knew something was wrong. When he tried to dial 911, his cell phone fell apart in his hands.

The stray bullet had hit his Motorola cell phone. Richard said he normally keeps the phone in his pants pocket, but that day he had it in a pocket over his heart.

"(Doctors) said, 'If your cell phone wouldn't have been there, and if it would have hit you straight on, you'd be totally dead,' because that is where my heart is," Richard said.

Richard's wife, Mindy, drove up shortly after the shooting.
    She said it took a while for reality to set in.

"I just burst into tears," she said. "I just could not believe it."

Investigators tell WDSU they don't know what gun might have fired the bullet. The St. Tammany Sheriff's Department is running the bullet through its Ibis System to see if the gun it came from has ever been used in another crime.

They said they don't suspect any criminal intent, but said anyone who pulls the trigger of a gun is responsible for where the bullet winds up.

The close call just before the holiday season has the Richards holding on to one another a bit more tightly.

"It increased my faith," R.J. Richard said. "I am hopefully more humble. I hopefully will love my wife more and quicker."

"He is," Mindy Richard said. "Ever since Saturday he's been doing so much more right. I can't get over it."

R.J. Richard said he's got a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
    Kind of makes you wonder where his wife was when the shot was fired. Maybe it served it's intended purpose!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Large caliber bullet stopped by 1/4" of aluminum and plastic parts? Pretty poor ballistics I'd say.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Large caliber bullet stopped by 1/4" of aluminum and plastic parts? Pretty poor ballistics I'd say.
    They did say it was a motorola...

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I had one of those brick phones. Best reception of any cell phone since!
    But back to the OP, I doubt if that's what he had in his chest pocket.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    True, but who knows how far away the shot came from and what it traveled through to reach its final destination.

I know the guy said that and not the doc, but as stated before, it was more fun the other way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Is that, like, "totally" dead, or only "mostly" dead?

-- Miracle Max
    Like, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... "pretty much"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Take it easy! You've been mostly dead all morning.

Administrator
    SIXTO...I would like Totally like find a new Doctor also.

Hummm.......One of the new Motorola Kevlar Jacketed Cell Phones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links