BG should of bought better body armor.

This is a discussion on BG should of bought better body armor. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Charlotte man is in critical condition after being shot by officers late Thursday. Police said Donald Oakes Jr., 35, is charged with six counts ...

Thread: BG should of bought better body armor.

BG should of bought better body armor.

A Charlotte man is in critical condition after being shot by officers late Thursday.

Police said Donald Oakes Jr., 35, is charged with six counts of attempted murder after firing at Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers in a Texaco parking lot.

The gunfire exchange came shortly after officers tried to pull Oakes’ white van over on suspicion of a revoked registration tag, taillights out and no seat belt as he drove along North Tryon Street at about 8:30 p.m., police said. Investigators said Oakes would not pull over but began weaving in and out of parking lots.

They said Oakes stopped after a few minutes in the Texaco gas station parking lot and climbed out of the passenger side of the van. Police said that’s when Oakes began shooting at officers, firing at least five shots.

Four officers returned at least 20 shots, striking Oakes several times, said Officer Jean Wassenaar. She said paramedics discovered Oakes was wearing a bulletproof vest and, in addition to the handgun fired at officers, investigators recovered a stun gun in a holster and two folding knives.

Chief Rodney Monroe commented Friday afternoon on all the gear discovered on Oakes.

“We don't know what his intentions were that night. It was more a happenstance that the officers came upon him that night. He wasn't targeted. Officers patrolling the area noticed the tags were dead,” he said.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't believe they tried to stop Gecko45 on his way to work!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I do often wonder what the news media would say about some of the well prepared members of this forum if they had reason to be stopped and their gear was enumerated. The news sheep get all in a flush any time someone has a cashe of weapons and ammunition (more than one rifle or shotgun with more than one box of ammo), even when they're just airsoft.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    I do often wonder what the news media would say about some of the well prepared members of this forum if they had reason to be stopped and their gear was enumerated. The news sheep get all in a flush any time someone has a cashe of weapons and ammunition (more than one rifle or shotgun with more than one box of ammo), even when they're just airsoft.
    That's what I was thinking. Lots of people carry two knives, and while I don't carry a stun gun, I carry a BUG. I'm sure the news media would paint some of us as commando-wannabees only because of the amount of gear some carry.

Sounds like this driver either went looking for a confrontation, or was just really dumb.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    No, no, no. He wouldn't be driving a van, more liked an armored car and would have a lot more "hardware" on him
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

The body armor probably worked fine. What he needed was more coverage.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Lots of people carry two knives, and while I don't carry a stun gun, I carry a BUG. I'm sure the news media would paint some of us as commando-wannabees only because of the amount of gear some carry.
    I can only imagine what the media would say if I had been pulled over on my way home from a 3-gun match tonight...

They'd have a cow.

The cops should have focused on 2 Com and 1 H...problem solved. It's too bad this dirtbag is going to be wasting O2...and the taxpayers have to feed him.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    The body armor probably worked fine. What he needed was more coverage.
    Agreed. Nothing will put you into critical condition faster than a shot to the neck, head or inner thigh (femoral).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

NEWS Media coverage...

That guy sounds like he was expecting trouble, most of( I would say all) members on here would stop and be respectful of an officer at a traffic stop negating the need for a media blurb.

I have infact been stopped on the way home from the range one night(dang right foot) and it was a most interesting stop due to an ill informed officer that ended up In a shift supervisor appearing on scene. was not a fun night. But the media would have had a field day.

Links