BAD: Shooting at New Jersey church

This is a discussion on BAD: Shooting at New Jersey church within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At least three people were shot inside of a New Jersey church service Sunday morning, MyFOXNY is reporting. Congregants were attending the morning service at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Shooting at New Jersey church

BAD: Shooting at New Jersey church

At least three people were shot inside of a New Jersey church service Sunday morning, MyFOXNY is reporting.

Congregants were attending the morning service at the St. Thomas Knanaya Church in Clifton when shots were reported at 11:40 a.m. According to the church’s Web Site, service traditionally begins at 11:15 a.m.

Officials from the Passaic County sheriff’s department and the prosecutor’s office were at the scene, MyFOXNY reported.

According to NorthJersey.com, St. Thomas Knanaya is an Indian Orthodox Church thought to be the only one in the area. People at the scene said that the shooting took place during a prayer service for the dead.

Congregants have not yet been allowed to leave the church, NorthJersey.com reported.

Unconfirmed reports said that the Port Authority Police and the State Police have been notified that a suspect may be trying to evade capture by fleeing to one of the nearby metropolitan airports, MyFOXNY said.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yikes....I hope the three were not seriously injured.

Mark my words...a couple more high-profile shootings of this type will usher in AWBII sooner rather than later.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I guess the they can't make up their minds, it's some sort of Orthodox Church...

From Fox News:
    "According to NJ.com — the official Web site for The Star Ledger — St. Thomas Knanaya is a Syrian Orthodox Church"

Many Indian orthodox churches consider their church head to be in Syria, as part of the Syrian Orthodox Church.

That is a tragedy, especially in this community. I can't imagine. My family is of the same ethnicity as these folks, and are Orthodox christians themselves... just not Knanaya sub-denomination.

And in Jersey of all places - very large Malayalee population there.

IMO, shootings like this only highlight the need for concealed carry by law-abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    IMO, shootings like this only highlight the need for concealed carry by law-abiding citizens.
    ...when going to church!...as well as all other times.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I agree with you. Unfortunately we all know the anti's and politicians will see it a s reason to ban all guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why I believe in Church Carry
    It's why I believe in daily carry. There are altogether too many godless heathens around. Defense against them even (particularly) in a house of worship? Absolutely. Amen, brother.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    There must be some mistake - that couldn't happen; New Jersey has strict gun control laws. And you know when they pass a law, that solves the problem. So there couldn't possibly have been gun related crime in New Jersey.

Please forgive my cynical reaction; I'm sorry those people were hurt, but there's a reason I don't drive into Pro-Crime New Jersey. I avoid doing business with anyone located in New Jersey.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It is next to impossible to obtain a CCW permit in New Jersey right?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's why I believe in daily carry. There are altogether too many godless heathens around. Defense against them even (particularly) in a house of worship? Absolutely. Amen, brother.
    And, unfortunately, not all who attend worship are all put together. Some have 'issues,' regardless of their belief in God.

My experience, shared in one of the threads on 'Why Do You Carry,' was of death threats by someone who is related to our church. But the young man is bi-polar, got off his medication, you know the story. Nice enough guy, I suppose, when he's medicated. The day he showed up at my office, he was not in good shape.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm sure glad I can church carry in Mass. Churches can attract disenfranchised and unstable people seeking help and answers to their lives problems. All the more reason to keep family safe with a sidearm.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Right. Pretty hard.

Just to purchase a handgun in NJ you have to:
    1. Go pay for the gun, but you can't take it w/you. The dealer instead, gives you a form (Permit to Purchase a Handgun) w/the gun's info and your purpose for buying the gun.
    2. You take that form to your Chief of Police
    3. You wait 4 to 8 weeks for it to be approved
    4. When it's [finally] approved, THEN you go back to the dealer and pick up your gun

When I lived in NJ, it was recommended that your purpose for having the gun be recreation and not self defense. In some jurisdictions, buying the gun for self defense made you a cowboy and your permit might get denied.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I just signed up two pastors of a local church for a carry class. I wonder if they had read about this incident. Carry everywhere you legally can everyday is what I say. There is no such thing as a "gun free zone".
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post

Yep, which leads me to wonder..........the guy probably didn't have his carry permit. Shame on him
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links