A free M-4 ???

This is a discussion on A free M-4 ??? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wish it had happened in front of my house FoxNews: SALT LAKE CITY A member of Salt Lake County's SWAT team left an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A free M-4 ???

A free M-4 ???

I wish it had happened in front of my house

FoxNews:
    SALT LAKE CITY A member of Salt Lake County's SWAT team left an M4 assault rifle in front of someone's home after leaving the scene of a standoff in the township of White City.

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Deputy Levi Hughes says the gun was left by a veteran member of the SWAT team who forgot the weapon in the grass while packing up gear after the standoff ended.

A homeowner found the rifle in the front yard of a house a few hours later and notified authorities. Hughes says an officer on patrol stopped by the home and recognized the rifle as a weapon belonging to the SWAT team.

Hughes says leaving the gun behind was an unacceptable, terrible mistake. Hughes says the officer will face disciplinary action, but probably won't be fired.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Du-oh!

Someone's getting some unpaid "vacation" time.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

That's not good. I'd hate to be that SWAT member.

-Jeff-

Now that I've been thinking about it and since my original post has been modifyed I think that the M-4 Should have wound up in the hands of criminals and the officer fired and possibly thrown in jail by the ATF. The officer is lucky that a criminal did not get it and use it to commit crimes but never the less the officer should be severely punished like a civilian would be if he left his legally owned machine gun laying around.
    Last edited by Duisburg; November 23rd, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Most swat team M4's are select fire with either 3 shot burst or full auto,just picking it up can get you in ATF doodoo since you are posessing a full auto illegally
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Most swat team M4's are select fire with either 3 shot burst or full auto,just picking it up can get you in ATF doodoo since you are posessing a full auto illegally
    OK, so let me see if i got this straight.

SWAT team comes to your neighborhood, does their thing, packs up and leaves. Say for the sake of argument, you find a full auto M4 left behind. You pick it up so no BG gets it, call the police, they come to pick it up and YOU are in trouble??? Something is wrong here.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I assume the officer would have noticed it missing sooner or later. In all likelyhood, they would have remembered leaving it in the grass while packing up and returned. I would hate to have it in my car when they showed up!

Lead Moderator
    I suggest everyone remember our rules concerning mention of illegal activities before responding to this thread.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm local to this incident. Good thing it was in a decent neighborhood. There are many other neighborhoods in SLC that are not as"quaint" as this one. Since it was the middle of the night when this took place, it would be hard to find a black rifle laying on a dark lawn. The homeowner did the right thing. Luckily it was found by somebody trustworthy and not by a BG.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11050876

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    That's good it was safely recovered, and not stolen by a street thug. The SWAT officer will probably get plenty of grief from his teammates, and even his supervisor.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

maybe they should have a check list at least for weapons before they leave the scene.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I would make a call to 911 while I stayed with the weapon,otherwise let's say officer remembers he left it and comes hurrying back to see you pick it up and start walking off with it,now you can say hey I was gonna call the cops after I secured the weapon,but on the other hand you may be looking at getting charged with attempted theft etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would make a call to 911 while I stayed with the weapon,otherwise let's say officer remembers he left it and comes hurrying back to see you pick it up and start walking off with it,now you can say hey I was gonna call the cops after I secured the weapon,but on the other hand you may be looking at getting charged with attempted theft etc.
    or maybe just kick the gun onto the street and walk away??
    either way I would call the mayor, the ATF and the local newspaper to emabarass that SWAT officer and try to get him in jail.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

LEO should have same law and affect applied to him as I would for leaving my 1911 on the lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    or maybe just kick the gun onto the street and walk away??
    either way I would call the mayor, the ATF and the local newspaper to emabarass that SWAT officer and try to get him in jail.
    A little harsh don't you think? I agree he should be disciplined by his Dept. But to throw the officer in jail? Give me a break. His intention was not to leave the M4 for someone to take and go on a shooting spree.

He made a BIG mistake, yes. But he does not deserve jail time.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links