Wharton County Shoot out

This is a discussion on Wharton County Shoot out within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Below link is the in car video from one of the officers involved in the chase which ended in a shoot out and Game ...

Thread: Wharton County Shoot out

Wharton County Shoot out

The Below link is the in car video from one of the officers involved in the chase which ended in a shoot out and Game Warden Justin Hurst being killed. The Jury found the defendant guilty of Capital Murder last week and gave him Death as punishment. The video goes out when a round from the AK-47 hits the camera. This all started from a stop where the defendant was going to receive a citation for shooting from the roadway.

Video: Dashboard footage of Garrett Freeman firing at officers

Recieved this from an LEO buddy of mine from Florida.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    WOW..........well now it goes from a ticket for shooting off the side of the road to murder of a LEO. My prayers for this slain officer family.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yikes! My hat's off to all the LEO's who have ever been on the wrong end of a suspect's gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    The Jury found the defendant guilty of Capital Murder last week and gave him Death as punishment.
    Good idea.

Will full respect for Mr. Hurst, can we analyze what happened and the tactics used?
    My question is for the LEO's. When the perp unloaded his gun, why would Mr. Hurst unload his service weapon when no target is visible? It seems this allowed the perp a second volley.

The first round of shots from suspect were from a handgun,the second round were from a rifle which can penetrate clear through a car unless it hits the engine block
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the video is to be believed, Hurst did not. That footage from from a Sheriff's Deputy, not the Warden Hurst. It appears that the deputy was doing the shooting in the clip shown. Deputies were involved according to the following account.

Moose Droppings TEXAS Game Warden Killed in Shootout with Poacher

So why did the deputy unload his gun when he didn't have a target? I don't know. Shooting out the rear window was pretty silly.

Obit from Texas Parks and Wildlife about Hurst, FYI...
    Game Warden Justin Hurst, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department - Law Enforcement Division
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

So why did the deputy unload his gun when he didn't have a target? I don't know. Shooting out the rear window was pretty silly.
    If I may guess here, I'd say most likely it was out of desperation. This just goes to show that unless you have had *some* type of training about using a weapon under stress, you are going to be in bad shape most likely when the SHTF.

We don't know what this officer's training was and I'm sure he did his best, but I always fear for those certain officers who manage to pass qualification shooting paper targets and consider the gun as simply another tool on their belt for on-duty use only.

Are they adequately prepared - mentally, if not physically - to use their firearm under severe stress?

If I had to guess again I'd say the officer in the video tried to shoot through the rear of the truck cabin. It is possible that he may have known, but perhaps he wasn't aware that a hangun isn't the best weapon to use against a vehicle.

Of course, at that point, he was just trying to do whatever he could to survive and I will try to keep from playing armchair commando here as none of us were actually there. RIP to the officer and condolences to his family.

If I had to guess again I'd say the officer in the video tried to shoot through the rear of the truck cabin. It is possible that he may have known, but perhaps he wasn't aware that a hangun isn't the best weapon to use against a vehicle.
    Shooting into the cabin is fine and doing it with a pistol is fine. However, he was shooting into the window where there was no target. Breaking glass doesn't accomplish much.

I will try to keep from playing armchair commando here as none of us were actually there.
    Too late. You already have.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

As I watched this video I notices the criminal turn the truck at an angle. I suspected at that point he would get out and use it as a sheild. My question is why didn't the LEO do the same? Was it to keep the camera on him and the impending shootout? I hope policy doesn't state to keep the camera pointed at the perp at all times.

I don't know what would be right or wrong here. I can only imagine that 'staying in the pocket' waiting for his head to pop out again is a pretty daunting task.
    I pray for the fallen officers family.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Fallen officer is always a horrible thing. RIP.

Sad sad news. I don't fully understand wasting shots on the back window of the truck either. Maybe trying to scare him into submission? No doubt it would have been different had the officer known the perp was going from pistol to AK-47 when he disappeared.

The angle of the truck was noticable, at first I thought the perp had run out of road and was turning around. Looking at it from a tactics viewpoint, this was giving the perp the benefit of the doubt. From the comments caught on the video, Mr. Hurst did not seem to think the stop was going to be an armed exchange. It seems like a shotgun would have been a near perfect tool to stop the threat, I take it game wardens do not carry shotguns(?)

Links