Bad: Guard fatally shoots man armed with swords at Scientology building

This is a discussion on Bad: Guard fatally shoots man armed with swords at Scientology building within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guard fatally shoots man armed with swords at Scientology building - Los Angeles Times A security guard at the Church of Scientology's Celebrity Centre in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Guard fatally shoots man armed with swords at Scientology building

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Guard fatally shoots man armed with swords at Scientology building - Los Angeles Times

A security guard at the Church of Scientology's Celebrity Centre in Hollywood on Sunday shot and killed a man wielding two samurai swords, police said.

Police detained the guard for questioning but said that a surveillance tape at the facility backed his claim that he fired his semiautomatic handgun to protect himself and two colleagues.

"The evidence is very clear the security officers were defending their safety," said Deputy Chief Terry S. Hara of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Police did not release the name of the guard or the man killed in the shooting, which occurred about noon. An investigator said the man had a history with the church but was not a member now. The tape showed the man arriving at the Celebrity Centre's Bronson Avenue parking lot in a red convertible, getting out of the vehicle and approaching a trio of security guards and waving a sword in each hand, Hara said.

He said the man, who was described as being in his 40s, was "close enough to hurt them" when the guard fired. The man was taken to County-USC Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Det. Wendi Berndt said the man was involved with the church "a long time ago."

"There was a previous relationship, but it is unclear to what degree," she said.

A teenager who saw the man arrive in the parking lot said he stopped the car abruptly in the driveway and climbed out with a 5-foot sword in his hand and an angry expression on his face.

Tony Marquez, 17, said the man, who was bald and had tattoos on his arms, walked toward the building, then returned to the car to get the other sword.

"I thought it was part of a show," said Marquez, of Ontario. He and his mother entered the building before the shooting began.

Police said the guard worked for a private security company. Detectives cordoned off the Franklin Avenue complex with yellow tape as investigators combed through the man's Toyota Solara. The incident occurred at one of Hollywood's most distinctive landmarks. Originally a luxury hotel, the eight-story building was built in the style of a 17th century French castle with a striking white facade and turrets that loom over the nearby Hollywood Freeway.

The church remade the building into a facility aimed at celebrities 39 years ago. According to a church website, the Celebrity Centre caters to "artists, politicians, leaders of industry, sports figures and anyone with the power and vision to create a better world." The complex includes a restaurant, theater and hotel. Representatives of the church did not return calls.

"I have no information," said a woman who answered the phone at the Celebrity Centre.

The facility is ringed by a fence, and security cameras dot the property's perimeter. Guards on bikes also patrol the area.

"That is one thing about living here, you get free security," said Brant Hoibin, 34, who lives in an apartment adjacent to the Celebrity Centre.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'd make a wisecrack about Scientology but it's not worth the effort. Not much to see here.

a FIVE FOOT sword? Was it a buster sword?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Sounds like the guard did his job. Also sounds like the usual amount of hyperbole on the part of the witnesses. As for the Scientology aspect....mom always said "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    It sure is nice to have security video to back up your story!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

BG taking a long dirt nap after threatening a guard with a deadly weapon.

Sounds "Good" to me.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I was expecting something bad to have happened. Sure, someone dying is always bad. But this guy kind of committed suicide. I did notice that the 'church' didn't release any prayers for the fallen mans family.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    BG taking a long dirt nap after threatening a guard with a deadly weapon.

Sounds "Good" to me.
    From what I read, the guard fired in defense, and it is "good" that he is not facing legal consequences for doing his job.

So I vote "good" as well, as less theres more to it i don't know

Sounds like the situation was handled appropriately. Anyone comes at me with a 5' sword and i've got a 10' radius where i start shooting.
    Seriously, who uses swords these days?

VIP Member
    The guard did his job, one less idiot on the streets now.

It's nice that the "beautiful people" of the Church of Scientology can afford to hire teams of body guards in LA, CA. Too bad the average guy isn't allowed to protect himself out there, just because he isn't rich.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The guard did his job, one less idiot on the streets now.

It's nice that the "beautiful people" of the Church of Scientology can afford to hire teams of body guards in LA, CA. Too bad the average guy isn't allowed to protect himself out there, just because he isn't rich.
    +1 and well stated, sir.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

A sword can be as deadly as any other weapon if used properly. Even a gun is not a great match in close quarters, if one is not alert.

Stay armed...know when to defend...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a case of bad gone good. Glad the guy with the sword was stopped before he could hurt or kill anyone.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Why is this listed as "bad"? The guard did his job and defended the folks he was hired to dfefend... Sounds like a "good" to me.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Maybe I am missing something here....why is this labeled as BAD?

Don't misunderstand me, I am no fan of the "church" of Scientology. Far from it. My Sister-in-Law was mixed up in it several years ago and she still isn't right. (maybe she never was as she got sucked in pretty darn easily) but a guard, protecting what he is being paid or volunteering to protect, shooting some nut running at him with 2 swords? That sounds like a good use of a defensive side arm to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links