BAD: Vermont crime on the rise

BAD: Vermont crime on the rise

This is a discussion on BAD: Vermont crime on the rise within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; East Calais General Store targeted again EAST CALAIS A tiny general store in the outskirts of central Vermont has been targeted by thieves for ...

Thumbs down BAD: Vermont crime on the rise

East Calais General Store targeted again
    EAST CALAIS A tiny general store in the outskirts of central Vermont has been targeted by thieves for the second time in less than a week.

On Thursday evening, a masked man wielding a gun walked into the East Calais General Store and demanded money from the register, according to the store clerk. He left the store with $1,400 after cutting the phone cord and kicking the clerk's 4-month-old daughter across the floor in her car seat, she said.

Early Sunday morning, the same clerk, Darci Herdling, entered the store and found a note demanding money, police said. The note, apparently left sometime overnight, included instructions "on what to do," police said.

"I can't elaborate on what the note said," Lt. Paul White with the Vermont State Police said.

White also would not say whether Herdling complied with the demands before police became involved. But he said the incident Sunday was not nearly as serious as the robbery reported on Thursday.

"I don't want to minimize the seriousness of the offense, but it wasn't a situation where someone came into the store with a gun on two separate occasions," White said. Herdling detailed her ordeal with the robbery in an interview with The Times Argus last week. The gunman, she said, ordered her into the back of the store, refusing to let her take baby Cheyenne Rose with her, swore at her and threatened her and the baby. She said she immediately began following his instructions to move to the back of the store.

"I thought he was leaving and I turned around to come get my baby. He came at me and got in between me and her, pointed the gun at her head, pointed it at mine, pointed it at her," Herdling said. "Then he kicked her across the deli floor."

White said he empathized with residents' angst but noted that the events were not reason to believe the town is under siege.

"It does cause us to be a little more vigilant," White said. "But I don't want people to think that because of these two incidents in East Calais that suddenly a crime spree is going on."

East Calais General Store targeted again: Times Argus Online
    In the same newspaper, the same day it read that the Monpelier Police estimate that over 100 cars were broken into while four were stolen. I don't know why it isn't on their website though, yet for a state capital with 8,000 residents I have been listening to radio news, reading in the papers that crime is on the rise. One radio news broadcast ( vpr.net ) said that one man held up a general store with a gun and the appologized.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in crime around where they live?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

For me...a crime spree is ONCE...

This dirtbag, if the same character, is in dire need of of a 'lead vaccination'.
    Hopefully, he will receive the necessary 'health care' soon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Never go anywhere unarmed! - Unless restricted by law of course.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've certinally seen crime on the upswing here. Most noticable jump is in shoplifting, car, and home burgleries. Violent crime in Jacksonville, Fl (just south of here) is definiatly on the rise.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Never go anywhere unarmed! - Unless restricted by law of course.

If is restricted by law than I will go somewhere else...but thats just me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Vermont has become very liberal, so the criminals know an easy target.

VT is an open carry state. The population is so liberal they would never exercise their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by sigman232 View Post
    VT is an open carry state. The population is so liberal they would never exercise their rights.
    And if someone had open carried how many on this forum would be saying that it was wrong to do so? Afterall someone might be offended an call the athorities on them. Could be another soccer mom issue.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    100 car breakins in Montpelier?? Sheesh, that's practically every car in the city

It's probably just one or two people doing it, though. The unfortunate thing is that you can't carry in the statehouse...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

jfl
    I read a week ago on Foxnews.com that the crime was up just about everywhere, consequence of economic problems.
    If that's the case, it is not going to get better soon
    Be vigilant, be prepared ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

gun laws don't affect crimes. Shall issue / may issue... open or concealed carry... it doesn't matter. Carrying a gun will not lower crime in your area/state, but it will protect you personally in case you should become the target of a crime.

There are other social and economic reasons that affect crime, but a discussion of these aspects would lead us too far off topic.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Links