Hotel Shootings in Mumbai, India (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Hotel Shootings in Mumbai, India (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am surprised I couldn't find a thread on this already. It is all over the news: Gunfire heard at two Mumbai hotels - CNN.com ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Shootings in Mumbai, India (MERGED)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Hotel Shootings in Mumbai, India (MERGED)

I am surprised I couldn't find a thread on this already. It is all over the news:

Gunfire heard at two Mumbai hotels - CNN.com

Gunshots heard at two Mumbai hotels where hostages are being held
    Gunmen strike at series of targets popular with tourists and business people
    85 dead, 200 wounded, police spokesman says
    Police say it is unclear who carried out attacks
    The gunmen used grenades and automatic weapons.
    Mumbai is the financial capitol of India.

I think it is somewhat scary. It could certainly happen here.

2. Remove Ads

AEA
    Another example of results of Gun Free Zones...........

says 101 dead currently
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I heard about this a few hours ago as well. 85 people dead?!

I also heard that they were seeking out and rounding up US and European passport holders to hold them hostage or shoot them. It's a pretty bad situation all around, to say the least.

Odd that this came up now, too. I had just recently stumbled across a forum, Indians For Guns - Index . I didn't know that there was a sizeable firearm enthusiast community over there. I learned quite a bit about the state of affairs with firearms in India. Very restrictive for law-abiding citizens, but apparently it is far cheaper and easier to get illegal firearms... go figure, huh? Some good it did here.

And these folks went all the way with grenades and full auto weapons. Just shows that you have to be realistic about things and quite lulling yourself into a false sense of security.

Hopefully by tomorrow we'll get a clearer picture of what is currently going on. Condolences to all who were affected. I hope none of my relatives were affected, but I don't know of any family in that region of the country. Nonetheless, there is a good sense of national identity in India so the whole country is going to be in mourning for sure. They've been dealing with a lot of terrorism, and after the train bombings of a little while ago, everyone is going to be fed up.

Doesn't help that Muslim-Hindu and Muslim-Christian tensions in the country have been rising exponentially as well. Luckily most of my family is in predominately Christian areas without much strife (yet), but its obvious no one is safe.

Administrator
    A terrible tragedy for sure and methinks it's only the beginning folks.
    And I don't own an Aluminum foil hat. My feet are firmly planted in stark reality.

Looks like the media is reporting more people dead. Count seems to be up to around 100 now, with more than 300 wounded.

Could this happen here?...you betcha'.
    This is something I am expecting over here when the time is ripe.
    Won't the anti 'ants' be scurrying around then?

Stay armed...practice...stay alert...anytime/anywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Need to hunt them bad boys down.

Before they strike, if possible.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Could this happen here?...you betcha'.
    This is something I am expecting over here when the time is ripe.
    Won't the anti 'ants' be scurrying around then?

Stay armed...practice...stay alert...anytime/anywhere...stay safe!
    Sheesh...going up against guys who have automatic weapons and grenades with an EDC type pistol? I hope you brought along that extra magazine

If you really expect something like this I hope you keep half of your arsenal in your car trunk. IMO there isn't much that a single armed citizen can do against a threat like this but run and hide, unless of course it happens at your home where you have full home turf advantage, a large arsenal, and family members who are also trained in firearms
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

A good friend of mine is currently in Mumbai. He is there to train Christian pastors as part of a group working with John Maxwell, who trains pastors all around the world.

My friend was scheduled to stay at the Taj Hotel, and changed at the last minute. I have heard they believe he is okay. Don't know where he is staying. If it were me, I'd be getting the heck out of Dodge (or whatever the Indian version of it is called).

Scary stuff!

And, +1 on 'it could happen here.'
    Bad enough to worry about dudes with their pants hanging off their butts. Now we do need to think about those with a bigger agenda.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"going up against guys who have automatic weapons and grenades with an EDC type pistol?"

One bullet in the right place and his automatic weapons and grenades aren't worth much to him.

Senior Moderator
    Sheesh...going up against guys who have automatic weapons and grenades with an EDC type pistol? I hope you brought along that extra magazine
    Having anything with you to use is better than nothing.

If you really expect something like this I hope you keep half of your arsenal in your car trunk. IMO there isn't much that a single armed citizen can do against a threat like this but run and hide, unless of course it happens at your home where you have full home turf advantage, a large arsenal, and family members who are also trained in firearms
    While I'll be the first to admit that your options are limited, you can bet your last dollar that I wouldn't just stand around and watch people get slaughtered. Sure, it might be the last thing I ever did, but at least I would do it standing.My first priority would be to secure an automatic weapon.

Don't be so eager to give up the ship.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

125 people dead, 327 wounded.

Taj AND Oberoi hotels were taken by terrorists. by the looks of things to me they were fairly well organized and have a plan.

the hotels are still on fire as well

There was another series of explosions just now, i mean right now as I type this.
    the police are getting no where fast in this. the Task Force that was sent in was sent packing minus their leaders, whom were killed by the terrorists.

the police are outright lying to the people and media.

The SHTF in india folks, I'm getting more ammo for the AR today thats for sure.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I really am suprised it hasn't happened here yet. Granted lone freaks opening up in a mall occurs all too frequently, the organised terrorist attack of this type hasn't happened here yet. The bigger cities NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, DC with their public transit systems make for inviting targets to these terrorist groups.

I thought we now live in a peaceful safer world now that Obama has been elected. This can't be true the media had a segment on how the world now loves Americans since we chose hope and change. Didn't the terrorists know that these hotels are frequented by Americans?, someone please send them a memo. I can't believe these guys aren't playing by the rules!! Shocking.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links