Fired into air over Peeping Tom

This is a discussion on Fired into air over Peeping Tom within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If Id done this where I live, Id have a seriously large legal defense bill to pay. ksl.com - Homeowner catches peeping Tom...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired into air over Peeping Tom

Fired into air over Peeping Tom

If Id done this where I live, Id have a seriously large legal defense bill to pay.

ksl.com - Homeowner catches peeping Tom
    It isnt the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

2. Remove Ads

Yay, for the homeowner!!!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Just plain dumb...chasing, firing, he had no idea what he was up against. The end does not justify the means...

Rick

Anyone know what state that was? 'round here, they arrested some yahoo who fired a bunch of shots in the air in an attempt to stop some fleeing gas station robber. Not sure what happened to him...I can see how this is different...the guy started toward the homeowner. Not sure that I'd have gone with a warning shot...actually probably wouldn't have left the house, just called 911.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Depends on the lighting. If it could be seen that the assailant was NOT armed, maybe just cap him in the leg to "STOP" him from the oncoming agression, but if lighting was poor, can't see f armed or not, coming forward in "threatening" manner - well, maybe no warning shots.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Senior Moderator
    First of all, firing in the air is not the proper thing to do. Where is the bullet going to land? "Warning shots" are not a good idea.

Luckily,the outcome was good. The cops arrested the man.

maybe just cap him in the leg to "STOP" him from the oncoming agression
    That is NOT good advice. You don't shoot to wound. Had he done that, it would cost him a small fortune before it was over.Had he shot and killed an unarmed man, there would have been alot of explaining to do. You have to consider the crime. A "Peeping Tom" is not high on the list of crimes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would have let the Rhodesian out...he's our personal 'in home greeter', he also takes interest in people outside our home.

In that situation (but I probably would have stayed inside) I wouldn't have fired, but he could have been looking at a double barrel 12ga coach gun...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Anyone know what state that was? 'round here, they arrested some yahoo who fired a bunch of shots in the air in an attempt to stop some fleeing gas station robber. Not sure what happened to him...I can see how this is different...the guy started toward the homeowner. Not sure that I'd have gone with a warning shot...actually probably wouldn't have left the house, just called 911.
    This happened in Utah in the same county where I live. Don't know why the homeowners wife didn't know what her husband was doing, should have had her on the phone with 911. Warning shot is a judgement call, should've been at the ground though.

- RickB.

Good for the homeowner protecting his property. It sounds as though he didn't have enough to call the police at first.

Bad for firing into the air. If you have a person at gunpoint and they are willing to advance on you they constitute a serious threat of bodily harm and defensive fire is appropriate. Never fire into the air. Firing into the ground isn't much better. It is safer for the innocent but is still liable to get you in trouble if you live somewhere unfriendly to guns.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I agree with HotGuns on this one. The Peeping Tom would have been Peeping down the barrel of my shotgun. He would have left with a brown streak in his pants and a lingering smell of
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

B2K
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    This happened in Utah in the same county where I live. Don't know why the homeowners wife didn't know what her husband was doing, should have had her on the phone with 911. Warning shot is a judgement call, should've been at the ground though.

- RickB.
    Actually, the homeowner's wife was calling 911, it was the perp's wife that claimed she didn't know what her husband was doing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post

- RickB.
    Benson was the peeping tom, it was his wife that didn't know what he was doing there. Homeowners wife called 911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't have a problem with him going out to confront the perv, it is dangerous though. Firing a 'warning shot' is stupid and firing it in the air should be criminal.

Many peeping Toms progress into doing B & E, rapes, etc. Hopefully this will keep this one from continuing his nighttime activities.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Depends on the lighting. If it could be seen that the assailant was NOT armed, maybe just cap him in the leg to "STOP" him from the oncoming agression, but if lighting was poor, can't see f armed or not, coming forward in "threatening" manner - well, maybe no warning shots.
    Once the BG starts to run from you, to chase after him takes the SD scenario out of play.

As to the homeowner firing into the air to stop the BG from advancing, never, NEVER, NEVER shoot into the air. Where is the bullet going to end up? I don't know and neither did the homeowner. It could hit someone on it's way down. It could hit the windshield of a passing car, shattering it and causing a wreck. Remember, when you shoot, it is your responsibility to know where your bullet is going to end up.

Shooting the BG in the leg to stop him. Not a good idea either. You are almost asking to face charges by doing this. DA is going to say that if you had time to aim at the leg, you had the time to avoid the situation. Plus you can be assured there will be plenty of ambulance chasing attorneys more than happy to represent him in civil charges against you.

Now before all the guys from TX jump in, this DID NOT happen in TX. This happened in Utah which has a very limited Castle Doctrine.
    Under the Utah castle doctrine you would not be justified to shoot in the situation that happened here.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by B2K View Post
    Actually, the homeowner's wife was calling 911, it was the perp's wife that claimed she didn't know what her husband was doing.
    Ah. I got it. The peeper is married? Anyway I'm glad the guy caught and not just chased off... and that everything ended safely.

- RickB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links