(Bad) Dunkin donut robbery, 4 shot

This is a discussion on (Bad) Dunkin donut robbery, 4 shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all have ideas in our heads as to what we would or would not do in a robbery situation. How would you handle this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We all have ideas in our heads as to what we would or would not do in a robbery situation. How would you handle this real life situation.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    Four robbers sought in shootings at a Delray Beach Dunkin' Donuts shop
    Gunmen shoot 3 customers, driver in Delray

By Maria Herrera

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

November 28, 2008

DELRAY BEACH

It was the stuff of nightmares: Four men wearing masks, guns drawn, burst through the door and order everyone to the floor. Customers scream, employees run for the panic button.

But this wasn't a jewelry store or even a bank. It was a Dunkin' Donuts shop, where elderly residents gathered late Wednesday for a cup of joe, maybe to talk about Thanksgiving plans or simply to stay warm.

Dressed in black, the four robbers began wreaking havoc on the 4800 block of West Atlantic Avenue at 10:22 p.m.

Two jumped the counter and ordered an employee to open the register. The other two terrorized customers.

After only one and one-half minutes, four people had been shot.

"This is a senseless crime," police spokesman Jeff Messer said.

What they stole: "It couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred dollars," Messer said.

The four men rifled through everyone's pockets and cleaned out the register. On a surveillance video released to police, the men are seen pushing patrons to the ground. Two held handguns. One had a shotgun, police said.

As the men began to leave, one of them drew the shotgun close to a customer's face and pulled the trigger at close range. Then he fired at another.

Investigators said a man driving a Chevrolet Lumina on Whatley Road flashed his high beams at the fleeing robbers as they ran in front of him. One of the robbers fired at the car, hitting the man in the face through the windshield.

A fourth victim later showed up at the VA Medical Center in Riviera Beach with what police described as a shotgun pellet wound to his leg.

Police did not release the identity of the victims. Two were taken to Delray Medical Center; all are expected to recover.

Police said the robbers are dangerous. Messer said they shot innocent victims who could not have identified any of them through their masks.

"The act itself is so heinous," Messer said. "They started randomly shooting people who were compliant."

The stand-alone store abuts quiet residential neighborhoods, small shopping centers and offices. Customers drove up to the store throughout Thursday afternoon, only to turn around when they saw police tape. "We are working with our franchisee, Hitish Patel, who is supporting the efforts of the local authorities," Dunkin' Donuts spokesman Andrew Mastrangelo said in a written statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families."

Police are offering a $5,000 reward to anyone with information that leads to an arrest, in addition to a $1,000 reward offered by Crime Stoppers.

Investigators ask anyone with information to call the Police Department at 561-243-7800 or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477.

Staff Writer Brian Haas contributed to this report.
    Video
    NRA Member

What a senseless, heinous act of violence, in a donut shop no less????
    Once the shooting began I would have targeted the shotgun 1st than the closest pistol while seeking cover and hope & pray. These stories make me mad a hell , I have to go to church now.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Draw and fire as quickly as possible after seeing them enter, while seeking cover/concealment.

It cannot be overstated how effective immediate violent response in the face of this kind of threat can be. There is not a chance they would have stayed around and fought out the battle. Their cowardly actions indicate they were not professional. They were more than willing to kill innocent compliant victims, but I bet they would have run for their lives if confronted with any kind of firepower.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Ron
    I thought about that when I read the story. If they had all the customrs on the floor, including me, and started to empty pockets looking for cash, etc., and there are four of them, all with guns, it seemed like I would be in deep trouble.

But, aside from that, they apparently gave no indication they had anything other then robbery in mind, and were leaving when one of them turned and shot his shotgun at the customers who were still lying on the floor.

It seems to me that unless I spotted them before they entered the store and could take cover, that realisticly there would not have been much I could do, even if armed.

I am very interested in reading others thoughts on this.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Yea this one hits close to home. I think the best response would be to draw and fire w/o hesitation. Well placed fast shots. This is where training will come in to play. If taken by complete surprise maybe draw gun at the ready and when they get closer to the "on the ground" order let them have it. It would be a very scary and over in a blink of an eye moment for sure.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

There was a similar DD robbery a day or two later in Tamarac, plus a 7-11 and they appear to be connected. This is becoming more common.
    ================================================== =======================================

South Florida authorities still hunting violent doughnut shop robbers

By Sofia Santana | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    November 30, 2008

The search continued Saturday for those responsible for two violent robberies at Dunkin' Donuts shops last week that left five injured.

Though the robberies were very similar, authorities Saturday still would not say whether they thought the incidents — in Tamarac on Thursday night and Delray Beach on Wednesday night — were related.

Both robberies were recorded on surveillance video, but investigators don't have a specific description of the assailants because they wore black hooded sweaters, gloves and masks.

Investigators do, however, think the robber who opened fire in Tamarac, critically wounding a Fort Lauderdale man, is black, about 5-foot-8 and 230 pounds.

Four men were involved in the Delray Beach robbery, at 4800 W. Atlantic Ave., and there were two in the Tamarac incident, at 4900 N. State Road 7. In both cases, one of the robbers carried a shotgun and fired at bystanders without provocation.

Surveillance video shows the robbers leaving the Tamarac Dunkin' Donuts in a white, four-door car, authorities said.

Those robbers also are suspects in a holdup at a Pompano Beach 7-Eleven at 600 W. Sample Road on Wednesday night, the Broward Sheriff's Office said Friday. That incident involved four masked men, one of whom held a shotgun to an employee's head, but no one was injured, officials said.

Investigators in Broward and Palm Beach counties are working together on the cases.

When I go to certain unnamed 'chain' breakfast stops, I watch where I sit. Then I watch everyone entering...prior to entering, I would most likely see the incoming storm.
    This is yet another reason to give a quick violent response.

Ron, can you imagine them finding your Ultra as you lay helplessly on the ground?

This is not a good situation for anyone to be in, but if I spotted masked gunmen entering...I'm going to be 'ducking and shooting' as they enter...they can decide if they want to 'fight their way in...
    I would hate to think that a sidearm found on me was used to wound or kill my wife and me.

There's a time to sit and wait...a time to consider the odds...a time to run, if possible...a time to call 911, but it may just be the time to start shooting.
    Tough call!

Stay armed...be very alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    , can you imagine them finding your Ultra as you lay helplessly on the ground?
    I thought about that too. I think that possibility alone would make taking action mandatory. That and the fact that they came in shooting, that shows they are going to be violent no matter whether you comply or not.

VIP Member
    Quote of the day: "Police said the robbers are dangerous."

I'm with Retsupt. I almost always try to sit with my back against a wall where I can observe everyone who enters.
    And if possible, to have a table far from both the entry and the cash register.

These 4 thugs probably got all of a hundred bucks or so; donuts are sold in cents, not dollars. What morons. They are now murderers for a few bucks.

When caught a public hanging would be appropriate.

"Police said the robbers are dangerous." Crack reporting right there

Two hit in the face and "all are expected to recover". Miracle. Hope they catch the

this mode seams to be more and more common. I was fine with being on the ground with everyone else and giving my money to them. Right up to the point of them shooting a complient 'hostage'.

with the increase of this meathod of operation, it has now come down to an "enter with guns drawn and masks' gets an armed responce as soon as posable.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    I thought about that too. I think that possibility alone would make taking action mandatory. That and the fact that they came in shooting, that shows they are going to be violent no matter whether you comply or not.
    From what I read they did not come in shooting, but shot as they were leaving. If they came in shooting, then that changes the equation significantly, and of course, I would have little choice but to draw.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ron
    When I go to certain unnamed 'chain' breakfast stops, I watch where I sit. Then I watch everyone entering...prior to entering, I would most likely see the incoming storm.

Ron, can you imagine them finding your Ultra as you lay helplessly on the ground?

This is not a good situation for anyone to be in, but if I spotted masked gunmen entering...I'm going to be 'ducking and shooting' as they enter...they can decide if they want to 'fight their way in...
    I would hate to think that a sidearm found on me was used to wound or kill my wife and me.

There's a time to sit and wait...a time to consider the odds...a time to run, if possible...a time to call 911, but it may just be the time to start shooting.
    Tough call!

Stay armed...be very alert...stay safe!
    It was what you mentioned, Ken, their finding my Ultra on me as they were searching me for money as I was on the floor that was the very scary part of the scene.

And, I, too, always sit in a restaurant facing the door so that I can see who is entering. But, what if I was standing at the counter while getting my coffee and donut, when they entered. Remember, four guys, all with guns. Tough scenario to think about.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ugly situation. I think if they didn't shoot me first, they would definitely shoot me once they found my firearm. This leads me to believe I would flip a table and picture paper targets walking around the doughnut shop!

I've been to that very Dunkin Donuts many times as it's right near one of my work locations. Not sure what I would have/could have done with four armed assailants and a room full of people. Makes me angry and very sad. This isn't the only local Dunkin Donuts robbery lately, and probably the same guys. Guess I'll be doing take-out window for my coffee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links