Bad: Intruder wrestled away victim's gun after getting shot and killed one of them

Bad: Intruder wrestled away victim's gun after getting shot and killed one of them

This is a discussion on Bad: Intruder wrestled away victim's gun after getting shot and killed one of them within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; washingtonpost.com "A Leonardtown man broke into his ex-girlfriend's home early Monday and assaulted her and her boyfriend with a shovel before fatally shooting the boyfriend, ...

washingtonpost.com

"A Leonardtown man broke into his ex-girlfriend's home early Monday and assaulted her and her boyfriend with a shovel before fatally shooting the boyfriend, authorities said.

Jeremiah J. Watson was expected to be charged with murder in the death of Christopher M. Patty, 34, of Cobb Island, police said.

Watson, 31, is accused of breaking into Tina L. Dean's Lexington Park home and attacking Patty with a shovel while Dean, 35, ran to get a handgun, police said. Dean shot Watson, police said, but Watson wrestled the gun from her. He then fatally shot Patty and tried to shoot Dean, but the gun malfunctioned, police said. "

Pretty sad. Shoot to STOP the threat. If she did her job her boyfriend would still be here.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

That really stinks for the family but it looks like someone got to close to the BG with an exposed weapon.

Had the victim been armed (as one should always be), he would have interacted with the BG who only brought a shovel to a gunfight...could have been a much better outcome.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I bet the Post wouldn't have printed it if the woman had shot and killed the POS. They printed it to show the "dangers of keeping a gun for self defense".
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Just plain sad.
    I was going to comment on the probable lack of training, but the vast majority of gun owners (present company excluded) get most of their gun training through prime time T.V. shows where one shot stops the bad guy and I can't remember the last time one of the good guys lost is weapon to the just shot BG.
    I'm also guessing the gun was in the dresser by the bed, hadn't been touched or cleaned in over 1 year and hadn't seen the inside of a gun range or training class in years.
    Still doesn't make the victim's wrong for owning a gun or bringing it into the scene. Just that it reminds me that "He who has the gun doesn't always win." Training, planning and everything else that goes into being a responsible bun owner pops into mind. (again, I'm preaching to the choir.)
    Hard to second guess someone who was probably running on pure rage attacking where the victims where in total fear and totally on the defense. I picture the lion pouncing on two antelopes.
    When I have run into potential situations like this it's hard to get them to realize that NOW is the time to prepare and to gain the skills needed to survive. He gave plenty of waring signs, but took them by surprise. Hopefully if we hear of a neighbor or acquaintance heading down this road we can point this story out and help them to be better prepared. I just hope this doesn't turn some gun neutral people into thinking "if they hadn't brought that EVIL gun out none of this would have happened." Last I checked shovels are pretty deadly instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I bet the Post wouldn't have printed it if the woman had shot and killed the POS. They printed it to show the "dangers of keeping a gun for self defense".
    You hit the nail on the head with that comment!!!
    Unfortunately far to many people buy into their tripe.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Strange that I never see a actual figure on how often people are killed by their own guns, I suspect the real numbers are much smaller than they would like you to believe.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm left wondering about the rest of the story...after the gun jammed, what happened? I agree...the post had an agenda with this story.

Rick

Very sad indeed.
    Stress the point of not having to run to get your weapon to those who think guns should be outlawed.

Links