Bad: Fake Police Rob Woman (DC)

This is a discussion on Bad: Fake Police Rob Woman (DC) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by ABCNews.com: Fake Police Rob Woman Men posing as law enforcement entered her home and ran off with loads of loot [including husbands ...

Thread: Bad: Fake Police Rob Woman (DC)

Bad: Fake Police Rob Woman (DC)

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Fake Police Rob Woman
    Men posing as law enforcement entered her home and ran off with loads of loot [including husbands rifle].

Video Report - Fake Police Rob Woman

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

No surely not, people impersonating officers

Hope they find them very quickly.

Did the lady look at the paperwork or after letting them in? I assume she was just complying with their actions until the others came and called the LEO's.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Perhaps there will be some prints on items left behind in the bag...tough spot to be in.
    I wouldn't letting anyone in without a call to 911...nothing in our home that could be considered illegal activity.

Stay armed...trust no one...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One of my worst nightmares.

Damned if they force their way in (and they are fake), damned if you shoot (and they are real).

Well, if as she says they were wearing "SWAT gear," I assume most citizens would be too intimidated to ask to see the warrant or badges in fear of getting their door kicked down and themselves shot, or something. Maybe one of us could notice certain discrepancies, but I can't say I've ever seen a SWAT member in person so who knows.

Not a good situation. There was a time a few years ago around here where fake cops would pull people over on the road, and then proceed to rob them on the side of the highway. I can't remember exactly but I believe that there were even quite a few women raped as well.

I guess this brings another scenario. If someone like this shows up at your door, and then you try to go for the phone - they break down the door, and tell you to stay still or be shot, what do you do? If they are real SWAT you cannot fire (regardless of whether they have a legal warrant or not, there's no way you're going to justify a shooting like that). If they are not you are taking one hell of a chance if they are dressed out well.

Seems like a lose-lose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Well, if as she says they were wearing "SWAT gear," I assume most citizens would be too intimidated to ask to see the warrant or badges in fear of getting their door kicked down and themselves shot, or something. Maybe one of us could notice certain discrepancies, but I can't say I've ever seen a SWAT member in person so who knows.

Not a good situation. There was a time a few years ago around here where fake cops would pull people over on the road, and then proceed to rob them on the side of the highway. I can't remember exactly but I believe that there were even quite a few women raped as well.

I guess this brings another scenario. If someone like this shows up at your door, and then you try to go for the phone - they break down the door, and tell you to stay still or be shot, what do you do? If they are real SWAT you cannot fire (regardless of whether they have a legal warrant or not, there's no way you're going to justify a shooting like that). If they are not you are taking one hell of a chance if they are dressed out well.

Seems like a lose-lose to me.

Negative, police have to comply with the law just like every other citizen. If a police officer enters your house illegally and you feel threatened then you have EVERY legal right to open fire. NO ONE can enter your home without a warrant or being invited in. This Hollywood vision of police officers kicking in doors for every warrant that is in everyone’s head just isn’t true. Any citizen that isn’t involved with MAJOR drug trafficking, Mob activity, Gang activity, kidnapping, or something equally high ranking isn’t going to have their door kicked in. AND if they DO kick your door in and are wrong it is on them. A majority of people will most likely be visited at work, or possibly at their home to be served. That is if you aren't pulled over for a traffic violation first. If someone is kicking your door in, there is a VERY good chance it isn’t the police.

Pretty stressful situation for anyone to be in, but a few finer points to those that may want to be more selective who they let in their home.

In my neighborhood SWAT teams don’t wait for you to open the door, it comes down just before they enter and they have the street full of police vehicles and cops at every window with all of them yelling police warrant get on the floor.

If they are in a talking mood ask what the warrant is for and what name and address is on the warrant. If it isn’t for a drug raid it will be a slower action (stolen merchandise is harder to flush down the toilet) and last of all if you’re not involved in some sort of illegal activity they have the wrong house. (You hope)

I would like to think I could spot it coming but I certainly can see how it could happen, even to me.

VIP Member
    Were talking DC here, are we sure they were fake cops? j/k

I would check out another window. If no other cops in sight, and everything else running like it normally does, I would be on the phone calling 911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links