Soldotna Hospital Shooting

This is a discussion on Soldotna Hospital Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For some reason, this story was ignored over the weekend. Anyone care to bet on whether guns are banned from the hospital? Soldotna hospital shooter, ...

Thread: Soldotna Hospital Shooting

For some reason, this story was ignored over the weekend. Anyone care to bet on whether guns are banned from the hospital?
    Soldotna hospital shooter, victim dead: Alaska News | adn.com

Oh man. Thanks for the link. I work in several hospitals in the Phoenix area. Weapons of any kind are forbidden. I was just thinking the other day what I would do if something like this were to happen.

When I was in college in NY, there was a similar incident at a nearby hospital. Some wacko came in and shot/killed several people.

I'm pretty much defenseless at work.

I believe most people are defenseless at work if they don't want to risk getting fired. Most employers do not allow guns
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Here in Virginia guns are not banned in hospitals, however a hospital can elect to place themselves off limits. Most of the ones in the Richmond area are not posted. However they do prohibit employees from carrying.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A hospital. For those who believe a hospital is safe enough to ignore carrying, this is a good example of how similar a hospital is to any other business of any sort, in regards to relative safety of people, risk of someone going off his/her meds, risk of a recently-fired employee deciding he/she is owed something more, or whatever.

Gunman Opens Fire in a Soldotna Hospital: KTVA:
    Gunman Opens Fire in a Soldotna Hospital
    MJ Thim, CBS 11 News
    Updated: 11/26/2008 10:12PM AKST

A Soldotna hospital worker who was critically injured in a fatal shooting was flown to an Anchorage hospital Wednesday night.

Fifty-seven-year-old Margaret Stroup was among two people shot Wednesday at Central Peninsula Hospital.

The other victim -- 55-year-old Mike Webb -- died about two hours after a worker who was fired yesterday, returned and opened fire.

Stroup and Webb had been the supervisors of 47-year-old Joseph Marchetti.

Marchetti was killed in a stand-off with authorities in a hospital parking lot. Police say they tried to end the standoff peacefully but Marchetti looked like he was still a threat to the public.

Hospital officials described the scene of a disgruntled employee chasing people down the halls of the hospital with a rifle in hand and a pistol at the ready.

Marchetti worked until last year at an Omaha hospital.

Nebraska Medical Center spokeswoman Andrea McMaster says Joseph Marchetti worked at the hospital from October 2001 to October 2007. She says he decided to leave the job on his own in 2007 because he was moving; he was not fired.

McMaster says Marchetti did information technology work at the Omaha hospital. He helped maintain databases for the hospital's cardiac service line.

To contact the Newsroom, call 907-274-1111.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I work in several hospitals in the Phoenix area. Weapons of any kind are forbidden.
    To the best of my knowledge, AZ has no LAW banning weapons in hospitals, although the private hospitals may have company rules banning weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, AZ has no LAW banning weapons in hospitals, although the private hospitals may have company rules banning weapons.
    Posted weapons bans in private establishments are not LAW, but are grounds for trespassing and can get you booted by the police. And all of the hospitals I am aware of have a sign clearly displayed on main entrance doors.

Sponsored Links